Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   S/O Thread : Share Positive Circ Stories (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1312042)

Treasures From Elf 11-17-2011 11:53 AM

S/O Thread : Share Positive Circ Stories

Only positive ones.

Please keep negatives out of the thread.

Of course, if a re-circ needed to happen, post that as well.

mcpforever 11-17-2011 11:55 AM

Re: S/O Thread : Share Positive Circ Stories

You're not following the correct form. The OP has to share THEIR story first. Then everyone else has to share their similar stories, a couple intactivists have to come in and warn about the dangers, and then the entire purpose of the thread must be debated.

m&m&m 11-17-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpforever (Post 14143717)
You're not following the correct form. The OP has to share THEIR story first. Then everyone else has to share their similar stories, a couple intactivists have to come in and warn about the dangers, and then the entire purpose of the thread must be debated.

:giggle:

KB'sMama1031 11-17-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

:roflmbo:

My DS was circumcised in the hospital after he was born, we had no complications, it healed up fine and looks great today at 12 months. I have read a lot of anti-circ things as well as watched a number of "live" videos of circ's, and while it makes me feel sad, I am happy with our decision. My DH says he doesnt remember his as a baby, he also doesnt remember being born and being smooshed out the birth canal, since that probably hurt a lot too. :giggle2: (please take no offense, he is a joker)
All in all, we had a good experience and I can always say we had it done due to DS's genetic mild hypospadias which would have made having a foreskin a cleanliness/infection issue according to our Ped...
all of my future sons will most likely have the exact same thing as well (since it has genetically been there for 4 + generations) and we will most likely circumcise them too.
I know its a really tough decision, DS will have 2 uncircumcised cousins this spring, but for us, for now, this is what we want :goodvibes:

Treasures From Elf 11-17-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Oops, sorry.

We circ for religious reasons.

Our first was circ'd at 13 days because he had issues gaining weight. We did get some incorrect information and at 2.5 he was re-circ'd. Having not seen his penis lately, I can't say what it looks like, but he might do a "touch up" when he is older. We didn't have a choice but to re-circ because it was ll close to covering up his tube to pee from. Done by a pedi.

Second child, also a boy, circ'd at 8 days by an OB, never again, she nicked a vein.

Fourth child, a boy, circ'd at 6 months under anesthesia. Bunch of mess ups with people not knowing office policy and then him being to old. Pediatric Urologist. I am on a hunt to get everyone to go to a pediatric urologist. They are the BEST. He left a bunch of extra skin on purpose. Looked at my son and examined how his skin worked for his penis and then decided what to take from there.

I'm on my sixth child and if it is a boy, we will go back to the same pediatric urologist (who is hot by the way!) and ask for a "biblical circumcision" Where only the very tip of the foreskin is done.

I'm weird, its okay, most everybody I know is used to me by now.

LeslieT 11-17-2011 12:23 PM

What exactly would constitute a "positive circ story?" My oldest son was circumcised in the hospital right after he was born. He was gone for an hour or less and came back to me demonstrating no trauma. I don't remember him crying or reacting to the wound being coated in vaseline while it healed and he didn't have any infection. Up until the time he outgrew being naked in front of his mom (around age 7 or so?) he had normal spontaneous erections without pain. I was still in the room for all his yearly checkups with the pediatrician until he was in early puberty, and neither my son nor the doctor mentioned any problems with his penile development.

He's now a grown man. I don't think he's a virgin. He hasn't asked to see a doctor about problems with his penile function.

Unlike all the other things I've dealt with in my oldest son's life, his circumcision's "success" isn't something I thought about. I wasn't overjoyed, or fulfilled religiously or socially, or proud of myself, or proud of his penis, or delighted with its appearance, or greatly relieved of a huge worrisome weight on my shoulders, or satisfied that I had arrived at a workable answer to a great dilemma. I think his "story" is much closer to neutral than it is to positive. I thought it was expected, I had it done to him, he didn't die or become infected or bleed dangerously or lose his penis or have significant scarring or adhesions or a need for further surgery. I have no reason to believe he's impotent.

When my second and third sons were born, I had learned that all those things could have happened to him, for no reason, so I didn't circ them.

I really do feel pretty positive about that decision, but that's neither here nor there.

Treasures From Elf 11-17-2011 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeslieT (Post 14143937)
What exactly would constitute a "positive circ story?" My oldest son was circumcised in the hospital right after he was born. He was gone for an hour or less and came back to me demonstrating no trauma. I don't remember him crying or reacting to the wound being coated in vaseline while it healed and he didn't have any infection. Up until the time he outgrew being naked in front of his mom (around age 7 or so?) he had normal spontaneous erections without pain. I was still in the room for all his yearly checkups with the pediatrician until he was in early puberty, and neither my son nor the doctor mentioned any problems with his penile development.

He's now a grown man. I don't think he's a virgin. He hasn't asked to see a doctor about problems with his penile function.

Unlike all the other things I've dealt with in my oldest son's life, his circumcision's "success" isn't something I thought about. I wasn't overjoyed, or fulfilled religiously or socially, or proud of myself, or proud of his penis, or delighted with its appearance, or greatly relieved of a huge worrisome weight on my shoulders, or satisfied that I had arrived at a workable answer to a great dilemma. I think his "story" is much closer to neutral than it is to positive. I thought it was expected, I had it done to him, he didn't die or become infected or bleed dangerously or lose his penis or have significant scarring or adhesions or a need for further surgery. I have no reason to believe he's impotent.

When my second and third sons were born, I had learned that all those things could have happened to him, for no reason, so I didn't circ them.

I really do feel pretty positive about that decision, but that's neither here nor there.

A positive would be ones where the parents are happy with it. Where they don't go on to tell others horror stories and those who have stories but still circ, tell others how they can avoid it. All without being rude, etc....

Like one of mine was re-circ'd. I still consider it positive. But, I tell mothers to make sure to get care instructions.

One had a nick of a vein. Still considered positive. I just recommend that you go to a pediatric urologist. They are the absolute best to handle circumcisions.

Someone who decides not to circ future children isn't really something the thread needs. Feel free to post the stories but if you decided against it for future children, leave that part out.

LeslieT 11-17-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treasures From Elf (Post 14144119)
A positive would be ones where the parents are happy with it.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who is happy about circing. I have met lots of people who are surprised anyone cares, people who are defensive when others disagree, and people who feel they've fulfilled a religious, social, or medical/hygienic need by doing it...but not happy. Happy I had my son circumcised seems really over the top, to me. I'm happy I found a good fit for my son when I enrolled him in school. I'm happy I taught my kids a love of books. I'm totally neutral about things like allowing my sons to wear their hair long when they want to, and what their respective healthy penises look like. :laugh:

kai_e 11-17-2011 01:23 PM

I don't mind Leslie's post, other than "for no reason" as it is a bit inflammatory and untrue, given that all circs aren't for no reason but again, this isn't a debate thread.

The OP asked very clearly for what she wanted. So here it is:

My husband, myself, our health care providers and our community came to the decision to circumcise our first son after weighing the risks and benefits against our family histories. He is 3 1/2 and has no ill affects from it.

When I was expecting our second son, we again convened with everyone to see if there were any new developments either in the medical community or within our personal histories or with DS1 that would cause us to change our decision and there were not. We made the same decision with DS2. He is 21 months and has no ill affects from it.

Both circs were done in a hospital, by our pediatrician with my husband in attendance. There are many decisions in our 3 1/2 years of parenting that we have second guessed ourselves for, this was not one them. We were both confident in the literature we read, the medical professionals on our team and in our community that we consulted with who know our personal medical histories that this was the best decision for our sons.

I have never found myself justifying it anywhere, not even here. Someone will most likely come along and take this post as just that very thing, but it isn't. It is just a story shared. :goodvibes:

formunkyfrommommy 11-17-2011 01:30 PM

there are no issues with DS's, and dh is happy with it, we had it done when he was 2 months old and that was a bad idea but i wont type that here, i dont like that it was done, but dh does, and ds has had no problems other than a well meaning MIL trying to pull it back further because there was a slight adhesion :(, but it healed fine and he never had any infections or anything, wish it hadnt been done, but dh is happy with it