Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Wedding Dress (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1314533)

hezdwoody 11-22-2011 05:34 PM

Wedding Dress

Do you keep your wedding dress or have you gotten rid of it? I still have mine and it has been on my list of things to purge. I found a charity to donate it to and went and bought a box to ship it in. For some reason when I packed it in the box I was a lot more sad than I thought I would be.

I've never really felt sentimental about my dress. I picked out a dress I loved and bought it but mom said it was too fancy for my wedding (because I had DD out of wedlock my wedding got played down a lot). I ended up loosing a lot of weight before my wedding and when I went to exchange it for a smaller size they didn't have the dress I loved in my size and I had to pick a different one; while picking out another one my sister started shopping for her dress and I just felt alone on what should have been a special day. The dress was okay but I never really loved it. I don't think its the dress I am going to miss but the fact that I never got a dress that I loved and your wedding day isn't exactly replaceable! Sorry for the pity rant. I am kind of stumped I've been wanting to get rid of it but didn't expect to be this sad about it. So do you still have your dress? If not do you regret getting rid of it?

crystalanne79 11-22-2011 06:04 PM

Re: Wedding Dress

I do still have it but it is stored at my in-laws. I have every intention of getting it made into a Christmas tree skirt so it will still be seen and used every year.

neonalee 11-22-2011 09:13 PM

Oh that is sad! You totally deserve that pity party! I hope one day you get to have the most fabulous anniversary party!

As for the question... I still have mine. And I'm divorced, in a "new" relationship for years & we had a baby last year! It wasn't my dream dress even. No idea why I can't seem to get rid of it. But I will! One day.

Sent using DS Forum, please forgive typos

bluecandi 11-23-2011 02:49 AM

I still have mine. My grandmother made it for me so Im keeping it.

emilyrebekah 11-23-2011 05:10 AM

I am keeping mine. One of these days I need to have it preserved. I was my dream dress, I still love it! Occasionally, I consider selling it because it is still in style, but my DH convinces me to keep it. When I was engaged previous to my DH, I selected a dress that I liked but wasn't in love with. When we broke up, I sold it a few months later to a woman who was in love with it. :)

booth2490 11-23-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecandi (Post 14176368)
I still have mine. My grandmother made it for me so Im keeping it.

Same here. Mine is made from two patterns she melded together and probably wouldn't fit anyone else anyway. I have space in my closet, so I have no real reason to get rid of it.

bcarroll9494 11-23-2011 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystalanne79 (Post 14174518)
I do still have it but it is stored at my in-laws. I have every intention of getting it made into a Christmas tree skirt so it will still be seen and used every year.

Great idea, Crystal! My dress is light green so it would be perfect. LOL! But I made it myself, so I don't think I could repurpose it. One day I will let the DDs see it and they can GENTLY :giggle: play dress up like I did with my mom's wedding dress when I was young. My dress was strapless, so it doesn't really make great child's play clothes.

hezdwoody 11-23-2011 02:10 PM

I shipped my wedding dress off today! It actually feels kind of good to get rid of it. I console myself because I have kept other clothes items like my first communion dress and baptismal gown. One my mother had made for me and one my grandmother bought for me. Being one of 8 kids having something that wasn't just a hand me down was pretty special!

photocat 11-23-2011 07:16 PM

My husband has put his foot down on this one :giggle: I have no sentimental attachment to it though so if was up to me, I'd let it go to a good home.

pgkcb13 11-30-2011 01:37 PM

My DH couldn't wait to see mine go :giggle: It was a princess style dress with built in crinolin so it took up a ton of space. I loved my dress, it was perfect, THE dress, but I feel really good about it going to someone else who will wear it and love it rather than it sitting in my closet forever.