Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Labor, Delivery & Postpartum (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=166)
-   -   Did your DH/SO stay with you (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1317189)

MrsJordan85 11-29-2011 12:19 PM

Did your DH/SO stay with you

Overnight if you had a hospital birth?

Mom2G&J 11-29-2011 12:29 PM

Re: Did your DH/SO stay with you

I voted other because with our 1st he stayed overnight, but with our 2nd he went home to sleep. My DH is very tall (6'5") those small chair beds are super uncomfortable and he had to work the next day so he needed a good sleep. I didn't mind because He was home with our daughter if she needed him. A couple of years later, DH was admitted to the hospital with a blocked intestine and it was my turn to sleep on one of those chair beds. After that experience, I will encourage him to go home and get a good sleep if he wants to when baby #3 is born.

MrsJordan85 11-29-2011 12:33 PM

My DH feels like he HAS to stay because he did in the past, but with having 2 kids at home and the bed being awful to sleep on I am trying to get him to agree to go home to sleep at night after the baby is here.

candj 11-29-2011 12:33 PM

Yes he did. There was no way he was leaving my side during our 40 hour labor or once our DD got here. I tried to get him to go home and take a nap since we didn't get any sleep but he wouldn't listen to me. I was glad he was with me the whole time. He is my rock.

hikergal73 11-29-2011 12:40 PM

For DD, he stayed both nights. For DS, he stayed just the first night - he conked out for a good 12 hours! You would have thought he was the one who went through labor - LOL! But he stay home with DD, the second night. He'll probably do the same if/when we have #3.

umphreysmommy 11-29-2011 12:42 PM

Yes he stayed the whole time with me (5 days for csection)

If we end up transferring for this new baby I would want him to stay if I got a csection as they were rude to me about rooming in with a section but if vaginal he could go home.

Mommy2Be08 11-29-2011 12:43 PM

For DS1 he did. For DS2 he was born at 5:39am and we were home by 7ish but had we spent the night he would have gone home with DS1 to sleep. DS3 was born at home. Pending no complications all future babies will be born at home so it won't matter.

seacat 11-29-2011 12:45 PM

DH stayed the night when DS1 was born, but it was our first and he also wound up in the NICU. We do have two dogs so, he went home the 2nd night. I was allowed to stay the week due to DS's being admitted.

For this one if all goes well and everyone is healthy I'm going to ask him to go home and take care of DS and the dogs, but don't tell him. :) I've been tormenting that he has to stay - he hates hospitals and the bed sucks.

Computermama 11-29-2011 12:46 PM

No, there was no room for him. Husbands could only stay if the second bed was unoccupied in the semi private rooms and I shared. If i had labored overnight, there was a recliner he could have dozed in, but my induction was during the day, and I was sectioned at 9 at night, so he went home once DD and I were settled.

The new hospital does have room in the postpartum rooms for spouses/coaches to stay in, which is one reason I'm going that way. However, he may need to go home to stay with DD.

HeatherM0529 11-29-2011 12:48 PM

Overnight yes.
But we had a weird circumstance. DHS kicked me out of my mother's house basically because of the living conditions. They told me they would keep my daughter until I found another place to live.
So just an hour after giving birth DF was out trying to find an apartment. He did sleep at the hospital both nights with me though, but he was apartment hunting during the day. Luckily he found one that was able to get us in that day.
So I came home from the hospital to an empty apartment with nothing to sit on but the floor.