Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Domperidone side effects? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1317696)

nicolejshannon 11-30-2011 12:46 PM

Domperidone side effects?

As anyone ever had any side effects from taking domperidone? Does the medicine get passed to the baby in my milk? I was prescribed it by my doctor and just picked it up from a compounding pharmacy (in the US. ) I don't know much about it but would appreciate any information you could share with me. I've seen it mentioned multiple times on this site, but would like to know more.
Thanks!

Alaura5 11-30-2011 01:08 PM

Re: Domperidone side effects?

I have been taking Domperidone 300mg three times per day since my little guy was 5 weeks old--I order mine from Canada, which is usually cheaper than getting it compounded in the US. My understanding is that it is pretty safe (definitely less side effects than Reglan) and is used in Canada for babies with reflux, so the small amount that may pass to your milk is not a problem. The only side effect I've noticed is weight gain--I gained 4-5 pounds within a week or two of starting it, but it seems to have leveled off there. I'm still quite a bit above my pre-pregnancy weight at 5 months, and am more or less giving up on losing it until I wean off the Domperidone. I was hoping to not stay on it for very long, but it has made a HUGE difference, and has kept us from needing to supplement, so it's worth it to me to keep taking it until my little guy is a year old, after which I will probably stop it (though hopefully maintain enough of a supply to continue nursing).

MamaLump 11-30-2011 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaura5
I have been taking Domperidone 300mg three times per day

Did you mean 30 mg?????

I've got some on the way from Canada, so I'm interested in this too.

nicolejshannon 11-30-2011 01:28 PM

How do you go about ordering some from Canada? The pharmacy charges about 90 for a month supply.. The dr prescribed 20mg for me.

CAaddict 11-30-2011 01:32 PM

I started taking it a week and a half ago (20mg 4x day) and haven't noticed any side effects. It has drastically increased my supply.
My doctor said I could wean off of it once my supply was established. Does anyone have experience with this (when did you wean, did your supply drop)?

MamaLump 11-30-2011 01:37 PM

I paid $178 for 1800 pills, each 10mg each. So, at 90mg a day, that's 200 days worth. Or more than 6 months. Hopefully I won't need it that long. I ordered from In house pharmacy.

LaughingPeaMama 11-30-2011 01:47 PM

Its a drug that is used to treat reflux by having the stomach empty faster than it normally would. I noticed I was a bit more hungry than normal so I made sure to have a few tasty healthy snacks around so I wasn't tempted to eat too much junk food. Also what is passed in the milk will have the same affect for baby but is really tiny. I never noticed DD acting more hungry than usual. She did have reflux though so we always thought it would just help treat that if it did pass.

Alaura5 11-30-2011 05:01 PM

Oh my gosh! Yes, I totally meant 30mg three times a day. Yikes! Also, I noticed an increase in my supply right away, but it really kicked in after I had been on it for about 4 weeks. I have heard mixed things about supply dropping after weaning off, so have delayed doing so since I just started back at work part time and need to pump.

nicolejshannon 11-30-2011 07:53 PM

Thanks. I guess I'm just nervous about taking medicine. I want more milk, but am worried about side effects.

mumtwiceover 11-30-2011 08:16 PM

I am in canada - I had no idea it was so hard to get in the US - I took the max dose - 16 tablets a day for almost 7 months with NO side effects other than a serious decrease in milk if I tried to wean off of it - the only thing is is you have any prexsisting heart issues you shouldn't take it...