Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Child with VSD? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1327789)

vanessadorman 12-25-2011 07:03 PM

Child with VSD?

My daughter was born with a VSD and right now its 50/50 on whether the hole will close on its own or if she is going to have to have open heart surgery. I was just wondering if anyone has a child with VSD and how it was treated?

elioraimmanuel 12-25-2011 08:00 PM

Re: Child with VSD?

It might help to explain that VSD is Ventricular Septal Defect. Put simply VSD a hole or holes in the wall that separates the right ventrical of the heart from the left.

Although I do not have a child w/a VSD, I've had babies as patients who have had them. Which particular VSD does your sweet DD have? Is her VSD limited to the ventricles or are other parts of her heart involved? The severity of the defect will influence the need for treatment.

I have seen babies healed by Christ, healed by normal development and healed through surgery. I will be praying for healing for your DD.:hugs::hugs::hugs:

vanessadorman 12-25-2011 08:23 PM

Her hole is small to moderate in size. The other problems with her heart and lungs are in collation with the VSD. She has a slightly sticky valve allowing trivial amounts of fluid in her lungs. Right now she is on two medications one is a diuretic and the other is digoxin. Prayers are always welcomed! Thanks.

elioraimmanuel 12-27-2011 04:24 PM

You are welcomed. Keep us updated and I hope you get the answers you seek.:hugs:

HookedByCarolyn 12-28-2011 09:36 AM

My daughter was born with an ASD. Atrial Septal Defect. Which is also a hole in the heart just in a different location. She had no outward symptoms. Her pediatrician heard a heart murmur around 15 months old and sent her for an echocardiogram. They found a moderate to large size hole, aprox 10 mm and the right side of her heart was enlarged because it was being overworked bc half the blood it was leaking through the hole. She then saw a pediatric cardiologist every 3 months until she was old enough for surgery. She just got the surgery done 7 weeks ago right before she turned 3 years old. Her hole had tissue on both sides so she was a good candidate for the occular device. So they put it in through a vein in her groin, NO open heart surgery. We were in the hospital for 24 hours and she was back to her normal self within a w eek! She will be on asprin therapy for 6 months and will carry a card around with her explaining about the device she has. She will periodically see the cardiologist too. They did the 1 month follow up last week and the echo showed that the right side of her heart was already back to normal size! I even have pictures of her heart during her surgery, it was awesome! I'm so thankful for that device!

vanessadorman 12-28-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn (Post 14348613)
They did the 1 month follow up last week and the echo showed that the right side of her heart was already back to normal size! I even have pictures of her heart during her surgery, it was awesome! I'm so thankful for that device!

Wow, that is amazing! I am so glad to hear everything is going great for your DD.

HookedByCarolyn 12-29-2011 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanessadorman (Post 14352336)
Wow, that is amazing! I am so glad to hear everything is going great for your DD.

Thank you!

From what I read, it looks like they have a similar device used to repair VSD's also. Is your daughter a good candidate for this? I'm sure you are on the wait and see path right now hoping it will shrink on it's on. I will send prayers and positive thoughts your way. I know how nerve wracking all this is. I mean, it's your baby's HEART, ya know! I hated just waiting and watching, I just wanted it fixed. :hugs: to you mama!

jennyfa 12-29-2011 05:31 PM

HookedbyCarolyn, thanks for sharing your story. My daughter is a year old (tomorrow) and has a small to moderate ASD. Her cardiologist has talked about placing the occular device when she's older, and it's great to hear a success story. :)

UnderTheStars 12-29-2011 09:11 PM

My son had a small VSD when he was born that we've been told has closed up on it's own (he is 2 years old). He has other heart/aortic abnormalities though that have required two surgeries and close monitoring, so I know how hard it is to "wait and see". I hope everything goes well for your DD :hugs: PM me if you want to chat!

vanessadorman 12-29-2011 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HookedByCarolyn (Post 14353385)
From what I read, it looks like they have a similar device used to repair VSD's also. Is your daughter a good candidate for this?

Her Cardiologist hasn't mentioned anything about a device, he however did say if it hasn't closed on its own by 18 months of age he suggests open heart surgery. If it comes to that we will definitely be getting a second opinion before any surgery is performed.