Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Craft Chat (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How do I do 2+ skeins and get them to come out the same? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1327812)

MotherMoonPads 12-25-2011 08:44 PM

How do I do 2+ skeins and get them to come out the same?

I'm really new to dyeing yarn. I tried kettle dyeing two skeins at the same time, and one of them came out a shade lighter than the other.

My children are getting bigger, and there are very few projects I can do with one skein so I'm going to have to figure out this whole dyeing two skeins and having them match thing :giggle:

How do you do it?

KaysieW003 12-25-2011 10:33 PM

Re: How do I do 2+ skeins and get them to come out the same?

Maybe you need a wider pot? Or lay the two skeins together and then place into the pot

TheGreenBee 12-25-2011 11:40 PM

For me kettle dying doesn't work. I wind the two skeins into a long hank then lay it out on a garbage bag and squirt the dye on with a baster or squirt bottle then let sit for a bit, then I gently put it in a casserole dish and put it in the oven on 250 or the microwave and cook it that way.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum

MotherMoonPads 12-28-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaysieW003 (Post 14338868)
Maybe you need a wider pot? Or lay the two skeins together and then place into the pot

I was using a quart sized water bath canner. It's one of the biggest pots I've ever seen. I did lay the skeins one on top of the other though, and the bottom one came out lighter. Is there some other way I should be putting them in? Thanks :)

KaysieW003 12-28-2011 01:40 PM

I always find the bottom comes out lighter too. What I do is cook until the water is clear then flip it over and dye the bottom or lighter parts again. I also lay the yarn together like its spooning (:giggle:) not on top of each other. Kind of like the shape of a "C" Does that make sense? if not PM me and I'll snap you a picture of what i mean.

TheGreenBee 12-28-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KaysieW003
I always find the bottom comes out lighter too. What I do is cook until the water is clear then flip it over and dye the bottom or lighter parts again. I also lay the yarn together like its spooning (:giggle:) not on top of each other. Kind of like the shape of a "C" Does that make sense? if not PM me and I'll snap you a picture of what i mean.

This too. I lay them side by side or one inside the other if that makes sense.

Aleta 12-28-2011 01:44 PM

I can only get one skein to come out right when I kettle dye too. If you're doing a solid I would suggest trying what Kaysie said, if you're doing a colorway, I would tie them together and make one long hank and handpaint. Good luck!

BNC 12-28-2011 02:28 PM

I always make one long hank and handpaint them. I never have luck with kettle dying!

MotherMoonPads 12-28-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNC (Post 14350157)
I always make one long hank and handpaint them. I never have luck with kettle dying!

Do you mean that you wind it with both skeins going into one hank? I guess I can't picture it :blush:

Quote:

I always find the bottom comes out lighter too. What I do is cook until the water is clear then flip it over and dye the bottom or lighter parts again. I also lay the yarn together like its spooning () not on top of each other. Kind of like the shape of a "C" Does that make sense? if not PM me and I'll snap you a picture of what i mean.
This makes sense, thank you :)

TheGreenBee 12-28-2011 04:31 PM

Yes. Both skeins wound into one hank. Wind the first skein and when you get to the end just continue what you were doing with the second skein. Then you have one big hank.