Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Big Mama's C-section (support)Stories/Tips for Recovery!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1328042)

jakes7.28.10mommy 12-26-2011 07:05 PM

Big Mama's C-section (support)Stories/Tips for Recovery!!!

I'm not sure why I can't seem to find anywhere on the internet where people are talking about this, but I want to hear from other big mamas who are obese or extremely overweight! I had a c-section a little over a year ago and the recovery seemed so much harder because of my weight.
I am wondering if anyone has any tips to share for helping with the swelling and pain that comes from it.
Anything else relating to being a big mama and c-section and post-partum recovery is also welcome!
I am planning to have a repeat c-section in April and the recovery and PPD that I experienced last time has me REALLY nervous for this time around! :nervous:
P.S. My pre-pregnancy size was 5'2" and 225 lb.

Lilmeow 12-26-2011 07:31 PM

Re: Big Mama's C-section (support)Stories/Tips for Recovery!!!

I hope that you get some tips, and help through your recovery!!! I wish i could help!

Jessica- mama to 3 boys and a girl in march!

crunchymom2b 12-26-2011 07:42 PM

Good question! I haven't had a c-section but I'm a bigger girl and would loveto hear some tips!

DillyDay 12-26-2011 08:47 PM

i had a c-section and would love to know other tips for recovery from it. although my incision seems to be healing nicely so far. (at 5 weeks now!) other tips and such would be appreciated!

mabelinoad 12-26-2011 09:24 PM

big mama here...mid 200s...and I've had two C's. My next one I'm really going to try for a VBA2C because i just don't want another C.

Its harder being overweight with a Csection, because for me...the 20lbs i gained between one and two made a huge difference! i didn't "hang" as much in the tummy with my first, so it got air...dryed nicely and healed rather quickly(2-3 weeks)

The second time around, tummy hung lower(kids were close together...so never lost baby weight) and covered the incision :yuck: and after lots of trial and error with the midwife, the only thing helping it heal after 7weeks was to put a sposie postpartum pad over the icision, with some tall undies to hold it in place. it kept the area dry and seperated...and healed quicker. it sounds so yuck, but unfortunately, thats what I had to do.

I'll be stalking this, just in case i do end up with another C next summer!

LaughingPeaMama 12-27-2011 06:27 AM

I'm not really fluffy in the tummy area because I had lipo several
Years ago but I got a postpartum support band because I've had several
Abdominal surgeries and I felt like my insides were falling out. You could combine that with the abdominal surgery pad (it's like a period pad but no sticky) to keep things dry and clean Also get up and move. Do not stay in bed. Use pain meds if needed but light walking always helped me recover from surgery faster. Eat well but make sure to eat lots of fiber you do not want to be constipated. Use a stool softener if needed. Other than that your healing shouldn't be any different than a thinner person unless you have circulation issues such as high bp or diabetes. And in these cases your dr should give you recovery tips. Good luck. I'm facing a repeat section if this baby doesn't come on his own too so I'll
Post more as I get closer if I can remember what all I did last time

mom2cse 12-27-2011 01:12 PM

I took advantage of the longer hospital stay to rest up before coming home to be mommy to my other kids. My only complaint was the mesh underwear that they give you in the hospital. It was fine for a day or so, but my butt would get horribly numb and uncomfortable by day two. I didn't have this problem with my first when I wasn't as heavy, so I'm assuming it's from the extra weight. If you'll be in the hospital, be sure to pack some giant cotton panties to get you through that time in the hospital. Also, try to give your incision time to air out by laying on your back when possible so that extra skin can be lifted off your incision. It wasn't too bad, but for so many reasons, I'm trying to get rid of some of this weight before possibly TTC again.

Good luck!

jakes7.28.10mommy 12-28-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mabelino (Post 14342127)
big mama here...mid 200s...and I've had two C's. My next one I'm really going to try for a VBA2C because i just don't want another C.

Its harder being overweight with a Csection, because for me...the 20lbs i gained between one and two made a huge difference! i didn't "hang" as much in the tummy with my first, so it got air...dryed nicely and healed rather quickly(2-3 weeks)

The second time around, tummy hung lower(kids were close together...so never lost baby weight) and covered the incision :yuck: and after lots of trial and error with the midwife, the only thing helping it heal after 7weeks was to put a sposie postpartum pad over the icision, with some tall undies to hold it in place. it kept the area dry and seperated...and healed quicker. it sounds so yuck, but unfortunately, thats what I had to do.

I'll be stalking this, just in case i do end up with another C next summer!

My tummy hung down a lot for my first and I figure it will be worse this time around. My swelling in my tummyand legs after the c-section were so bad that I went to the ER about a week postpartum and they decided to give me a shot and pills to help me pee a lot to get rid of the excess water. It was really bad it made everything hurt and the pain meds didn't help with the swelling pain at all. Having hubby rub oil on my belly when I was laying down flat on my back helped a tiny bit too, but it seemed to gross and I felt sorry for him. He did awesome though! I never had a nurse in the bathroom with me at the hospital, it was always hubby! He washed my whole body in the shower and everything!
The nurses used the pads on my incision 24/7 from the very start and that worked great. I don't think I minded the mesh undies, but my skin on my belly was very tingly and uncomfy later at home, so I used my own undies then. I actually had no issues with my incision healing up or anything like that.
I just had such a hard time at home, I wanted a hospital bed! I am normally a tummy sleeper, so I was very restless on my back and it was so so so hard to get onto my side or anything... I wonder if some kind of support will help, but I will prolly have to make something to try cuz I doubt I'll find anything my size that fits well...

Br2me 12-28-2011 05:21 PM

i am overweight and had two c/s

my first was harder...i think it was because i labored for soooo long first...my body was give out...the first few days were sooo bad...I was sooo tired and felt so bad...my tummy hangs down too (infact during c/s they tape it up out of the way..not fun!)

I tired laying in bed the first day home...i ended up ripping open my cut when trying to get out of bed when the baby was crying that night...soooo i took longer to heal...i ended up sleeping in the recliner part of the couch for the next couple of weeks...got sooo lonely feeling that i begged dh to sleep there with me on night after abotu 2 weeks...after that I forced myself to try to sleep in the bed again...it was soo hard and laying flat hurt sooo bad

the second time was a planned repeat c/s and i felt pretty good afterward...besides pain...i wasn't totally drained like the first time...i slept on the couch from the get go and used pads and/or cut up whas cloths at my cut to let it get some air...that helped alot...dh mixed up a mix to help wash it and we used the hair dryer to make sure it dried.

i am pg (due in april) and am praying for a vbac...but know that whatever happens will be right for us...I sooo don't want to go through another c/s and all healing from that...plus all teh extra drama from being fluffy! i just want a normal vbac! but i am totally trusting my Lord...and putting my faith in Him! whatever happens is meant to be and i will deal with it when the baby comes!

DalesWidda 12-28-2011 05:46 PM

Well I had a c/s in 2001 and I am a bigger girl (5'2" and 200 lbs ish). I guess I never considered my weight hindering my recovery but I can suggest that one of the best ways for me to keep that area clean and dry is to use the cool setting on a hair dryer. That really helps keep the moisture away under "the hang"! It's a lot more pleasant than trying to pat it dry. Just be careful with lifting too, but that's with anyone.