Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   You got my nephew WHAT for christmas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1330428)

monkeymama07 01-01-2012 04:03 PM

You got my nephew WHAT for christmas

so I was visiting with my brother and his wife today. that got my brothers step son a gun for christmas.

HES FOUR. him and my son and three weeks apart and Im just dumbfounded.

a REAL GUN for a FOUR year old.

and I must have looked shocked because my brothers like.. but its little and kid size.

I guess I should add I shouldnt be shocked they live in a rural area, are hunters, and my brother loves to shoot. It just caught me by surprise and I was like err say what...

Im paranoid about guns, they were never locked up when we were kids and we were allowed outside shooting them unsupervised at a young age and my brother knows my thoughts on the topic.

Im not opposed to guns but I think they belong locked up and out of kids reach at all times unless they are directly using them. My belief is not recognized by everyone in my family.

I hope they have them and his locked up. I didnt ask because if I found out otherwise I would have blew my top. I know he has not very responsible in the past and used to just leave them about pre-kid (they just got married in August so its possible they are locked up now Ive not checked and my kid has never been there without me supervising so I dont know...)

I do know he has a gun cabinet but more guns then will fit in it but he could have got another one

Twinvillageiowa 01-01-2012 04:05 PM

Re: You got my nephew WHAT for christmas

Um, wow! I would never buy a gun let alone for a kid that little. The fact that he tried to justify it means he knows it was crazy!

CaliRoll 01-01-2012 04:34 PM

Our friend always gives the boys in our group BB rifles for their 1st birthdays. My brother bought his daughter a purple-stocked rifle for her 3rd birthday. They're all big hunters though, so it goes along with the 50cc dirt bikes and quads all those kids also get.

DS has never shot the BB rifle he got for his 1st birthday. Maybe after he turns five we will let him. Maybe.

doodah 01-01-2012 04:36 PM

what kind of gun was it? If it was like a child size BB gun and they will be supervising him at all times, then no, I wouldn't be shocked. I would not be okay about this for my own kids but in many areas of the US or in many cultures, it is perfectly acceptable for a child to have something like this. I can see why it would be shocking though.

I have some nieces and nephews that go hunting as young as 6 years old. They shoot deer or turkeys. They are supervised but they do the shooting

EmilytheStrange 01-01-2012 04:38 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that's so weird. If the family tradition is to shoot things, 4 is a perfectly acceptable age to teach responsible gun use. I assume they're not just letting him keep it in his toy box.

And I assume there are other, bigger guns already in that house.

escapethevillage 01-01-2012 04:44 PM

I'd rather give a gun to a four year old, than some of the teenagers I know. It seems like the average four year old has more sense than my neighbor teens.

I don't think it's that weird either. I think gun families just naturally buy their kids guns. (not gang banger gun families.... I was thinking hunters and sports enthusiasts) It's like dirt biking families buy their four year old a dirt bike, and i'm always thinking "he can't even ride a two wheeler yet".

monkeymama07 01-01-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escapethevillage (Post 14371555)
I'd rather give a gun to a four year old, than some of the teenagers I know. It seems like the average four year old has more sense than my neighbor teens.

I don't think it's that weird either. I think gun families just naturally buy their kids guns. (not gang banger gun families.... I was thinking hunters and sports enthusiasts) It's like dirt biking families buy their four year old a dirt bike, and i'm always thinking "he can't even ride a two wheeler yet".

thisis very true it just caught me off gaurd I was expecting him to list off to me some toys kwim ...

luvsviola 01-01-2012 05:32 PM

DH totally wanted to get DD a pink Crickett for Christmas. But, it would not have been really for her. It would have been locked up in the safe with the rest and used with complete hands-on supervision.

However, we agreed to wait til next year.

momofdestructobaby 01-01-2012 05:38 PM

I'd have no issue with it. As long as guns are treated respectfully, and children taught proper gun safety then I don't see the issue.

AnimalHouse 01-01-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that's so weird. If the family tradition is to shoot things, 4 is a perfectly acceptable age to teach responsible gun use. I assume they're not just letting him keep it in his toy box.

And I assume there are other, bigger guns already in that house.

:werd:

My DH loves guns... he loves to shoot for sport, and loves to hunt (for food, not sport). DS1 turns 5 in May, and he will be getting a BB gun for his birthday.

It's not an inappropriate gift IF they already own guns, and are conscious of gun safety. Considering we have several guns in our home, I want my kids to know proper gun safety, know what guns do, and have respect for them.