Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please dont flame me... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1331397)

carolineb 01-03-2012 01:35 PM

Please dont flame me...

I'm almost ready to wean because I am so tired of being a human pacifier. Ds still wakes frequently at night and even with co-sleeping I'm not getting much rest. He has to be attached all. night. long. I'm so tired. He also barely naps for more than 30 minutes unless I let him nurse the whole time. That's just not practical with 2 others at home and I HS and just the rest of daily life/chores/activities.

I've loved nursing him and a part of me feels guilty because I know I "shouldn't" wean him. And I know, this time goes by fast, this too shall pass, etc., etc. Crazy as it sounds, we may ttc a 4th in the next couple of years. Right now we say no more kids but we always talked about 4 so I still partly have that "not done" feeling.

IDK, I guess I'm just sitting here in a chair with him attached doing that flutter suck and it's driving me up the wall. I feel sort of stuck and I don't like it.

BottomOfMyHearts 01-03-2012 01:57 PM

Re: Please dont flame me...

Ahhh my DD2 is like this sometimes. I just reached the 4 month mark with her and it's been quite a ride. I didn't even like breast feeding at all until I got to month 3, now I love it. But at night, some nights she can drive me NUTS. She will constantly want to feed and if she falls asleep and I move over to get in a more comfy position, she will wake up, fuss and wiggle back over to me wanting to latch back on!

Last night was one of those nights. Then of course around 7am when I need to get up, she's finally sleeping soundly. o..0

Nap times I have covered 99% of the time. I pop her into her rock n napper, put her in the kitchen, run her sleep sheep and the stoves exhaust fan...she goes out like a light and sleeps from 1-3 hours that way 2x a day. That's a real god send because it gives me a few moments to do SOMETHING other than entertain her and feed her.

I have a 2 (turning 2 in a few days!) year old too. She's a BIG handful at the moment, so between her, the nursling, work (I work from home 8 hours a day) and house chores/cooking, I barely get 10 mins to MYSELF.

kateroc 01-03-2012 02:12 PM

There's no "should" or "shouldn't" except that you should do what's right for you and your LO! I think, when you start to resent your LO for nursing, then it just may be time to wean, and it sounds to me like you're getting there. good luck with your decision :goodvibes:

carolineb 01-03-2012 02:13 PM

Okay tell me more about this rock n napper thing!

ETA: oh and I only nursed my first 2 to 4 months each, so this seems like an eternity to me!

BottomOfMyHearts 01-03-2012 02:15 PM

Ours is pink :) But you get the idea!

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-N.../dp/B002M77N22

carolineb 01-03-2012 02:22 PM

Shoot! He's too big. He's still within the weight range but it says to use until baby can sit unassisted or pull up. He does both and is probably going to be walking in a couple months.

jamieism 01-03-2012 02:42 PM

Hey Mama - I have an enthusiastic nurser here too and I hear you! Have you tried babywearing (sling is the cheapest try it out method). Sometimes that helps.

Also, I would recommend night weaning before you decide to give up the whole shebang. Takes about 5 days if I remember correctly. I just decided to do that last night with DD3 (20months) - she woke up to nurse at 12:30am and I nursed her for about 5 minutes and thought I might scream, so I unlatched her and here we go! She is MAD but fell asleep after about 10minutes of very angry yelling. I think with DD1 it took about 4 days until she just went to sleep. It helped me keep nursing for about another year until I cut her off at just under 3.

carolineb 01-03-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateroc
There's no "should" or "shouldn't" except that you should do what's right for you and your LO! I think, when you start to resent your LO for nursing, then it just may be time to wean, and it sounds to me like you're getting there. good luck with your decision :goodvibes:

Thanks for the positive words!

themamageek 01-03-2012 05:50 PM

:hugs: All I can say is been there, done that and yet I'm still going back. Don't beat yourself up for how you feel. It's okay to have negative emotions in relation to breastfeeding. It doesn't mean you have negative emotions towards your kids or anything like that.

carolineb 01-03-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aithyne
:hugs: All I can say is been there, done that and yet I'm still going back. Don't beat yourself up for how you feel. It's okay to have negative emotions in relation to breastfeeding. It doesn't mean you have negative emotions towards your kids or anything like that.

You are so right. It's so hard to describe because I do love nursing him but I think because as a pp suggested wearing him, which I do, I guess between wearing him a lot and nursing him a lot, I feel like he's constantly attached.

I had set out to nurse him to at least 2 years old. I don't know why but I just can't see myself doing that now. I guess I feel a little guilty because if I do start weaning him, I'll be forcing it on him before he might be ready.

A part of me is afraid I might regret it if I did wean him, but another part is ready to have my body back, and a little bit of freedom, too.

Funny thing though, if we do ever have another one then I would no question ebf that baby too, with a goal of a year which was my goal this time since I didn't make it with my other 2. I know I'm only a few months away so maybe I can hang on a bit longer. I think I might try night weaning first. We are visiting family right now so sleep has gotten all out of whack! After we get back Saturday I will give him a few days to get resettled and then work on night weaning.

Thanks again all for the positive encouragement!