Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2011 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   *May 2011 Mamas - January Chat* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1331422)

justineybean 01-03-2012 02:58 PM

*May 2011 Mamas - January Chat*

Happy New Year!!

Tippytoe 01-03-2012 06:26 PM

Re: *May 2011 Mamas - January Chat*

Happy New Year, mamas. Okay, any new year's resolutions?? ;)
Mine is just to declutter!! I'm in the process of redecorating my kitchen/family room and I'm feeling the need to clear out what's taking up space!!

knodceo 01-03-2012 06:28 PM

Agreed! And to try and smile more everyday, staying in present and focusing on my little family and not the extended drama. It's day 3 and I'm already struggling!

Hope everyone is having a great new years.

cherrycoke 01-03-2012 07:21 PM

Happy New Year!

So it just occurred to me that since DS has teeth now, I might need to start paying attention to oral care beyond letting him chew/suck a washcloth in the bath. what do you mommas do?

Tippytoe 01-03-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherrycoke
Happy New Year!

So it just occurred to me that since DS has teeth now, I might need to start paying attention to oral care beyond letting him chew/suck a washcloth in the bath. what do you mommas do?

I had a small finger toothbrush that I used for my older two. It had soft, small bristles, and they used to just chew on my finger and I would rub their teeth :). I'll have to find another one lol. I haven't given that a thought, yet!

Tippytoe 01-03-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knodceo
Agreed! And to try and smile more everyday, staying in present and focusing on my little family and not the extended drama. It's day 3 and I'm already struggling!

Hope everyone is having a great new years.

Yes!!!

juliabell 01-04-2012 12:34 AM

Happy New Year!

My resolutions, I kind of already started. Over the past few months, my perspective has been changing and I hope it continues! I've stopped wearing makeup everywhere, started wearing my glasses, wearing more comfortable clothes, cooking more organic and vegan, and drinking and enjoying wine again. I hope to continue down this path - it feels more authentically me. Prior to DS, I cared a lot about outward appearance and stupid things. I think it's because I didn't have anything else to do! I guess my plan is to just be more authentic. I like that.

SO, DS just got his 3rd dose of the pneumococcal vaccine. HOLY MOLY. He has had a fever now for about 36 hours. I actually called the nurse line, which is something I rarely think about doing. I see now why people don't vaccinate. It's crazy what ONE SHOT does to them. We space all the vaccines out (we do the Sears schedule) so he didn't get anything else. I had been contemplating the flu vaccine, but after this have decided against it.

Anyone else doing the flu/not doing the flu?

cherrycoke 01-04-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliabell (Post 14386179)
SO, DS just got his 3rd dose of the pneumococcal vaccine. HOLY MOLY. He has had a fever now for about 36 hours. I actually called the nurse line, which is something I rarely think about doing. I see now why people don't vaccinate. It's crazy what ONE SHOT does to them. We space all the vaccines out (we do the Sears schedule) so he didn't get anything else. I had been contemplating the flu vaccine, but after this have decided against it.

Anyone else doing the flu/not doing the flu?

DS got the flu shot, but he hasn't had reactions to any of the vaccines (besides crying when he gets them) so I felt ok adding it. I do give him baby Tylenol about an hour before the appointment and every then four hours until the next morning to help with the soreness and reduce the chance of fever. Our pedi gives us dosing instructions since he's under the age on the directions. I do think I would delay vaxing if DS had negative reactions to the shots or if we had a history of allergies to vaccines in the family (a co-worker's husband is allergic, so they get one shot every week to monitor the baby's reactions).

Zookeeper 01-06-2012 01:15 PM

Quickly checking in, life is nuts as usual in Vegas! T is working on teeth 5&6...so his lovely sleep schedule is out the window. He has been wanting to be latched on all night...ugh! I know its the teeth though, so I'm trying to just ride it out. Hoping we get back to his normal happy sleeping self soon! He's sitting up and finally rolling great. In fact, he uses rolling to get all over. Just like his big brother did. No signs of wanting to crawl yet, but Q didn't crawl until 9 months and then walked at 11. Seems like Toby is following the same path :) We still cannot get him to do solids. I emailed our midwife after the last run in with our ped. She said she's had lots of babies who weren't ready for solids in the first year, recommend Dr. Sears' family nutrition book. So, he's still gaining and hitting milestones on just Mama milk...so guess we are ok with it! I feel pretty good about myself actually, breastfeeding has been so much easier this time. Go me :D

Hope you girls are doing good. I love reading your updates :wub:

~Rachel

juliabell 01-08-2012 06:30 PM

Rachel - your ability to sustain your LO on only breast milk still gives me hope. I have had such a hard time with BFing that I feel like I'm in a constant state of worry. (Still! Despite starting solids. Lots and lots of solids.) I have hope that with my next babes that I'll be able to BF without having to worry so much. I think the part of my problem is that DS was blessed with DHs genes - long and lean! He's a wiry little baby.

On the vaccine update. I'm just not happy. Very frustrated with the vaccine business. DS's fever went away about 48 hours after his shot. Then he was really really grumpy for a day. Next day he woke up covered in a RASH. That lasted about 48 hours. And now we seem to be in a transition day where he's not as grumpy as he was, but still isn't back to normal. All from ONE shot. We never give more than one shot in a visit. It's hard because I understand why people don't vaccinate, but from a public health point of view, I understand the importance of them. Anywho. That's where we are :)