Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Adoption and Foster Care (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   January 2012 Chat Thread (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332121)

jenfostermom 01-04-2012 03:30 PM

January 2012 Chat Thread

Hooray for the new year - new thread! :celebrate:

OMG so here's the crazy newest in my house as of this afternoon....I found out today that the foster parent who took the girls we had from April until October 2011 gave her 30 day notice to have them moved yesterday. They were just more than she could do.

Sooooooooo we feel like God was nudging us about them anyhow and wondering if we made the wrong decision since we did bond with them and some of our concerns have changed with our situation (having another infant the same age - she's gone, the 3 year old being a lot - she's in school now for speech and DH was working nights and weekends and he just quit so he's home more).....so within a couple of minutes we went from diaper free, foster free to......us taking all three!!!!

They are working on our exception (for an extra child since we technically only have space for 2, but since they are sibs they can make an exception) right now and then they will move them - probably by the weekend.

Craziness!!! :lostit:

millermyer2 01-04-2012 03:59 PM

Re: January 2012 Chat Thread

Well things are CRAZY here! We got a call last Thursday saying that they had a 4 and 6(had a birthday the day after we got him so now he is 7) year old needing placement! They are older than we want but decided to take them from Saturday night till Tuesday after when they would go with another family! The other family backed out:banghead::banghead::banghead: and they will be with us till ???????! We are very overwhelmed because we already have a 1 and 2 year old of our own! Please say a prayer that they would find the right home for them soon! They are fun and great kids but just more than we can handle!

jenfostermom 01-04-2012 06:41 PM

Oh man, Laura, that stinks! I know how that goes and it's a helpless feeling. I'll be praying for you that they find a better fit for them SOOOOON and you would have peace in the midst of the craziness! :)

sillyutalktome 01-04-2012 06:47 PM

What an exciting day for you Jen! I pray the paperwork is sorted soon and I hope they adjust to your house quickly.

Laura, I hope the boys settle down and aren't too much since it sounds like they'll be with you a little bit. I am so sorry!

We won't be taking any placements for a few weeks as I have a fertility treatment in a few weeks. But I do have a bunch of training I need to do for the new year so I will be up at the agency a lot. Hopefully, I'll get this all out of the way and get a placement that's just right for us at the end of the month. I can tell Dd already wants a new "friend".

newmommy13 01-04-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenfostermom (Post 14390489)
Hooray for the new year - new thread! :celebrate:

OMG so here's the crazy newest in my house as of this afternoon....I found out today that the foster parent who took the girls we had from April until October 2011 gave her 30 day notice to have them moved yesterday. They were just more than she could do.

Sooooooooo we feel like God was nudging us about them anyhow and wondering if we made the wrong decision since we did bond with them and some of our concerns have changed with our situation (having another infant the same age - she's gone, the 3 year old being a lot - she's in school now for speech and DH was working nights and weekends and he just quit so he's home more).....so within a couple of minutes we went from diaper free, foster free to......us taking all three!!!!

They are working on our exception (for an extra child since we technically only have space for 2, but since they are sibs they can make an exception) right now and then they will move them - probably by the weekend.

Craziness!!! :lostit:

more like a kick in the backside! :giggle: i'm excited about you taking these girls! toddlertown is back in business! i don't know what ODFD's school schedule is like, but even my dd's 8 hours a week in 4k is a tremendous help for me. good luck! i'm sure you don't need it though. :giggle:

as for me...I SENT IN OUR FOSTER APPLICATION! you know, the one that has been sitting on my desk since JULY. :giggle: very nervous and excited about this new chapter in our lives! :lostit:

jenfostermom 01-04-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newmommy13 (Post 14392804)
more like a kick in the backside! :giggle: i'm excited about you taking these girls! toddlertown is back in business! i don't know what ODFD's school schedule is like, but even my dd's 8 hours a week in 4k is a tremendous help for me. good luck! i'm sure you don't need it though. :giggle:

as for me...I SENT IN OUR FOSTER APPLICATION! you know, the one that has been sitting on my desk since JULY. :giggle: very nervous and excited about this new chapter in our lives! :lostit:

Bahahahaha Ingrid, that made me literally LOL. :roflmbo:
ODFD goes to early childhood four mornings a week from roughly 8-11ish. It will really help. We will be moving her school - it's far northside, and we are FAR southside. Normally that's really frowned upon, but I got mom's approval and since she just started a couple weeks ago, she's not settled in there or bonded to the teachers and kids. Hoping it will go well!

And I'm SO EXCITED for you to have submitted your app! Did you tell them you know me? Lol. It *should* help things go quicker.:thumbsup: Can't wait to hear the progress.....congrats for taking the first step!:goodvibes:

dalynn1997 01-05-2012 07:52 AM

Hi everyone,

Jen - Congrats on taking the girls again ... I actually gave you a little hand clap. Girls are going to outnumber boys now in your house. Apparently, God wanted them there He just gave you an extra bit of time around the holidays.

Ingrid - Glad you finally took the first step in this Great Adventure.

Laura - Sorry the boys are proving to be a handful ... It always takes me 2 - 4 weeks to get into a new groove and for things to settle down. So even if they are there a little bit maybe things won't feel as out of control to long.

Sillyutalktome - Praying for your FET procedure that your frozen babies get to become forever babies. IF tx is so stressful so taking a foster break sounds like a good idea.

As for us, Lil Bit is now almost 9 months and is looking like a normal baby girl. She is still a lot of work and we are still having some major feeding issues. Her case is really sad and her mom seems to be getting worse instead of better. Her mom's visits are suspended which is sorta a blessing since we are finally getting a better rhythm around here. CW was here this week and she is talking about TPR and adoption already. Case has been open 6 months so legally she can start. I think she is talking more about beginning TPR in 9 - 12 months from case being open.

My DH is a little freaked out because he is not realling bonding with her. Partly I think he is protecting himself and partly because all the medical stuff wears him out. He said he feels more like a doctor than a dad with her. So say a prayer for my hubbie, please!

And of course, we are absolutely loving getting to be the forever mommy and daddy to our 15 month old little man. We are so over the top in love with him and I guess that is what we are hoping to feel toward Lil Bit.

newmommy13 01-05-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenfostermom (Post 14393040)
Bahahahaha Ingrid, that made me literally LOL. :roflmbo:
ODFD goes to early childhood four mornings a week from roughly 8-11ish. It will really help. We will be moving her school - it's far northside, and we are FAR southside. Normally that's really frowned upon, but I got mom's approval and since she just started a couple weeks ago, she's not settled in there or bonded to the teachers and kids. Hoping it will go well!

And I'm SO EXCITED for you to have submitted your app! Did you tell them you know me? Lol. It *should* help things go quicker.:thumbsup: Can't wait to hear the progress.....congrats for taking the first step!:goodvibes:

i think it was the new girl i talked to, kristin? it was like a 30 second conversation and she didn't ask, but when i called for the packet i mentioned you so maybe they made a note? i will probably say something when they come out to the house. i can't believe you got so many calls over christmas! thats so exciting from my perspective/sad from the kids perspective. i feel guilty for being excited!

dalynn-are you thinking you will adopt if LB is tpr? i can relate to your dh's feelings about being more of a doctor, it sounds like her medical needs are pretty involved. i didn't realize it when my dd was born but i really did not bond with her for a long long time, and i pushed her out! it is SO SO stressful dealing with the medical stuff it almost overpowers the rest. i spent her infancy so worried that i really missed out on a lot. so tell him not to worry, even bio parents go through those feelings. i can definitely understand him wanting to be protective of his feelings too...it must be incredibly difficult to maintain a balance.

misskira 01-05-2012 02:46 PM

Wow, some of you are busy!

It's pretty mellow here. DFD has pretty well settled in. We painted her room and got her a loft bed over winter break so she feels more at home. We're about to get our extra room ready and open for another kid. We'll be picky though, since it has to be the right kid to fit in here with 15yo dfd and our 3yo and 8mo boys. Ideally we would get a 4-9yo who is heading for or already TPRd or needs a perm foster home. We would like to have the opportunity to bond as mom and dad and keep a special needs kiddo in our family permanently. We'll see though.

millermyer2 01-05-2012 04:48 PM

We found out today that our FS and FD will be with us till the 17th! Longer than I would have liked but at least they will be in a stable home and safe till they go to their new home!