Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Getting pregnant after C-section- reccomended wait time? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332812)

Emmers22185 01-05-2012 07:53 PM

Getting pregnant after C-section- reccomended wait time?

After my last c-section, my 2nd, I switched doctors and she told me that I should wait 18 months before getting pregnant again for the best shot at a VBAC. My first OB told me to wait 12 months before getting pregnant again for a good shot and we were pregnant with DD2 right after DD1's 1st birthday. Well, needless to say I did not get a VBAC this last time (emergency c-section due to amniotic fluid level below 2) because I had already had a c-section and my dr. would not induce (for obvious reasons) when they had to get DD2 out. From the time I had my ultrasound to check her size at 38 weeks until the time she was out was a whopping hour and a half. I REALLY want a VBAC this time, but I also don't want to wait 18 months between pregnancies because honestly, while I do want another baby and DH really wants another, I do want to be finished with the baby stage all at once and move on. I feel like the longer we wait, I finally get back into a rhythm of sleeping, etc. and then it all gets disrupted again. I would rather just have the babies close and then in a few years just be done with the baby stage. I love having kids, but I definitely have a lot of struggles when the babies are little.

So here is my question... how long did you wait between pregnancies if you had a VBAC and if you know how long does your dr. suggest to wait. FWIW, my 1st section was for FTP. It will probably be a long shot that I will get a VBAC, but I know that women have been having babies for a long time and I know I can do it!

TIA!

I am fully expecting to most likely have another c-section, but I do want to leave the possibility of a VBAC open. We are planning on sticking to TTC when we had originally planned, but I am curious as to what others have been told.

MNclothdiaperin'Momma 01-05-2012 08:14 PM

Re: Getting pregnant after C-section- reccomended wait time?

I was told 18 months to 2 yrs between births for the best shot from my Dr. My current one will be 2 years from my c-section with DS...we shall see how it goes.

AmandaR 01-05-2012 08:19 PM

My DR said 18 months for a VBAC and if you're fine with a repeat section that waiting wasn't needed/depends on your personal situation/healing.

songbird516 01-05-2012 08:44 PM

I have heard anything between 6 months to 2 years.

From a nutritional standpoint, it's best to wait at least 2 years, since it gives your body the best chance to heal and build up nutritive stores for the new baby. Most traditional healthy societies had a 3 year or so gap between children; anything less than that was seen as a disadvantage for the baby.

Emmers22185 01-06-2012 07:32 PM

thanks ladies. I have heard 12 months... my new OB/GYN said 18, we think we are going to stick with our plan and start TTC when DD2 is around 14 months and hope the OB/GYN would still be open for a TOL. I will probably call her office closer to when we are going to start and ask the few questions I have left.

CharmedMama 01-08-2012 07:31 PM

I have been talking to a midwife in my area regarding a HBA2C. Her recommendation is 18 months between babies, not getting pregnant. I was pregnant with my second when my first wasn't quite 6.5 months old, and I had a successful VBAC. I ended up with a second c-section with my third child due to macrosomia, but I am planning and hoping for a VBA2C next time around.

Br2me 01-08-2012 07:56 PM

i haven't had a vbac yet...but after 1st c.s dr told us to wait at least 4 months before getting pg...and after 2nd c/s dr told us to wait 6months (same dr)

dd1 was 27 months old when dd2 was born...this time dd2 will be 16 months old when ds comes...

melissalaurel 01-08-2012 08:23 PM

I had a successful VBAC 23 months after my (first) c-section.

My OB said to wait three months before TTC.

The High Risk OB's I delivered with said it was best to put 18 months between c-section and a VBAC attempt.

Emmers22185 01-10-2012 07:21 PM

Thanks ladies. That is what I was thinking, but I thought I would hear some others too! DD2 will be 1 in 2 weeks and we are planning on start TTC in March which she will be about 13-14 months, putting about 22-23 months between them.

beaute_marquee 01-15-2012 09:32 PM

DS1 was fifteen months when I found out I was pregnant with DS2. DS2 was eight months when we concieved and lost baby Morgan, and then 20 months when we found out we were pregnant with DD. DS1 was the section baby.