Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Trouble with family dog (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332878)

zabnut 01-05-2012 11:21 PM

Trouble with family dog

Okay, so this is a problem I've been having for awhile now. Baby just turned 8 months old and is loving grabbing at everything.
This involves the family dog, a beagle.
DS loves her, and she him. Theirs is a love that is forbidden because every single chance they get they decide to tongue kiss.
I always supervise when the dog is around but they always manage a quick make out session every chance they can get. It grosses everyone out.
I don't want to totally cut out their interactions because reacting harshly can make a situation worse, I realize. I just want the baby to pet, hit or grab at the dog like a regular kid, rather than kiss like teenagers.
The dog is the sweetest most gentle dog, so I hate yelling at her for essentially licking a little pack member.
I'm grossed out, any suggestions?

zabnut 01-05-2012 11:57 PM

Anyone have any suggestions?

mommypockets 01-06-2012 12:11 AM

Lol. Omg. I LOVE how you described this!!!!

Sorry, mama. No advice. Good luck, though!

hpfgirl 01-06-2012 12:12 AM

Well, it's gross but probably not harming the baby.

kameroosky 01-06-2012 12:53 AM

Re: Trouble with family dog

:giggle: I had to deal with that with DS and my pit bull. He was facinated with her licking his face and in his mouth. We just say yucky and leave it at that. Dogs mouths are a lot cleaner then ours so it's really not too bad unless the dog likes to eat kitty poo or something :yuck:

Whipple 01-06-2012 01:38 AM

Well I have to say, I'd rather that be going on then the child hitting the dog. I would never allow that!

Anyhow, I would just say "no licking" and distract the dog with a toy or something. But really it's not something I would worry about much. Maybe try distracting your ds. I've never personally had success training a hound to stop doing something they love (digging, howling, ect)

TheGreenBee 01-06-2012 02:29 AM

We have three German shepherds and a little mutt and the baby bee is always loving up the dogs.

Gross as it is it is harmless

swingkid1975 01-06-2012 04:06 AM

I agree with pp's. Ours did it too and they do stop doing it at some point. This would not be a battle I'd be willing to fight. It's a phase and will pass.

DD is 2 and EVERY NIGHT she has to get kisses (closed mouth now) and give hugs to the dogs.

knodceo 01-06-2012 05:14 AM

We have a beagle, who is 8. She does that as well. I think it is a mothering instinct. We just sit beside them and show how to pet and when she goes to lick, we say no calmly and move her face. She's gotten with the program but with each new baby it starts again. They are her babies too so she is just taking care of the pack.

Belle 01-06-2012 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zabnut (Post 14400142)
I just want the baby to pet, hit or grab at the dog like a regular kid, rather than kiss like teenagers.

Sorry to say, but my experience with two "regular" kids is that the fascination with the dog licking them in and about the faces is normal. If I see it happening I redirect the dog or kid or both, but I can't prevent it every time. It is gross, but it hasn't hurt anyone and it hardly ever happens anymore.