Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Happy Hempy Fitted (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332971)

colin-mylilguy 01-06-2012 08:36 AM

Happy Hempy Fitted

Do you like these? http://www.happyheinys.com/our-products/happy-hempy

I was just reading through another thread about the difference between microfiber and microfleece and I understand that MF (microfiber) is bad against LO's skin. I really try to avoid any synthetic fibers - we only have cotton and hemp - which is why I am really lovin' the idea of the happy hempy fitted. They have the option of either a microfleece lining (for stay dry feel) or just hemp fleece (55% hemp, 45% cotton) which would be all natural. So, I'm guessing the microfleece is NOT all natural... Thoughts? Have you used one or both? Do you like one or the other better? Do you avoid microfleece like microfiber? I can't decide! :giggle:

boysniris 01-06-2012 08:39 AM

Re: Happy Hempy Fitted

Microfleece is made from polyester, so it's a synthetic fabric. But it offers the benefit of feeling dry even when a diaper is wet so for babies who can't handle wetness against their skin it's a great option. Microfleece doesn't suck moisture out of skin, it's not absorbent at all.

ETA -- to answer your other questions, I avoid microfiber definitely. It snags on my hands and gives me a creepy-fingernails-on-chalkboard kind of sensation. But microfleece feels nice and soft and several of my son's diapers have stay-dry microfleece inners. He needed stay-dry inners until after he was 18 months old, then he started being able to handle natural inners part-time.

colin-mylilguy 01-06-2012 08:42 AM

So would you use it? I don't really like polyester and don't use it for LO's pj's or clothes so I kinda think I'd rather stay away from it in the diaper, too. BUT... I'm wondering if it would help him sleep better to *feel* dry all night.... hmm... :headscratch:

sdsalyer 01-06-2012 08:51 AM

I loved these for my DS at night when he was younger. We stuffed them with the HH hemp stuffins and held up to my super soaker. We did use the fleece lined because he slept better with the stay dry feel. They do offer just the hemp inside and would be fine if your LO can tolerate the wetness on their skin. The HH store is right down the street from me, so I had a chance to check everything out before buying:-)

shen7 01-06-2012 08:52 AM

We have 3 of the non stay dry Happy Hempys for nights. They work great and it is so easy to customize absorbency! We stuff with a thirsties hemp prefold and recently started adding a hemp doubler to that as well.

Our baby doesn't need stay dry at night if she has enough absorbency in the diaper. Plus she sometimes reacts a little bit to polyester fleece against her privates. Some babies need stay dry though. We use stay dry fleece liners occasiinally to keep her down for a nap or car ride.

boysniris 01-06-2012 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy (Post 14401331)
So would you use it? I don't really like polyester and don't use it for LO's pj's or clothes so I kinda think I'd rather stay away from it in the diaper, too. BUT... I'm wondering if it would help him sleep better to *feel* dry all night.... hmm... :headscratch:

Yes I like stay-dry microfleece inners for diapers (and I like fleece covers, too :giggle:). Like you, I'm not such a fan of polyester for clothing. I like 100% cotton, or an 80/20 blend.

But for diapers, there are practical reasons to use polyester fleece. For my son, the stay-dry factor is a benefit. And polyester fleece covers are more breathable than PUL (PUL gives him rashes) so I choose poly fleece and wool for covers. Full time wool is not a practical solution for me, personally, so I don't feel bad or guilty not using all-natural wool covers all the time.

mpink22 01-07-2012 07:01 AM

They were our go-to night time diaper. Loved that they were fitteds - therefore breathable, and that you could adjust the absorbency. Even better to me was offering the stay dry microfleece linig, because DS would wake up if he felt wet.

LaurelBelle 01-07-2012 09:07 AM

LOVE these for overnight. Used the ones with micro fleece to help DS sleep all nite. I stuffed them rediculously full when DS was a super soaker, and it's nice that I can now stuff less as he is beginning to stay dry more often overnight.

wrightrottie 01-07-2012 11:43 AM

We have been using these at night for about 10 days now. I LOVE THEM! We tried everything for night time and everything was soaking through to pj's. I bought the ones with the fleece. It is SUPER SOFT! The difference is that without the fleece, they will feel the wetness. My DS will wake up if he feels wet, so we went with that option. I might get some more without it for when we start potty training. I am putting a BG one size microfiber insert in them along with a Hemp Babies doubler. You can stuff with anything. They are roomy in the crotch. I am putting a Blueberry cover over but it does leave one little gap so I am looking into wool. We are getting a full 13 hours out of them!!

crunchyNurseMommy 01-30-2012 05:17 PM

Older thread but wondering how the one size fits toddlers?