Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   If you breastfed when you got pregnant again.. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1332994)

fishingfor5 01-06-2012 09:13 AM

If you breastfed when you got pregnant again..

Did you lose your supply? DH and I are NTNP and dd has reached the 6 month mark so I know that my fertility could be restored any time. I got pregnant for #4 when #3 was 9 months old and BFing. But that was 9yrs ago and I can't remember if my supply was affected. I want baby#5 to be able to nurse for at least a year. Were you able to nurse through prenance. If I try to recall I think I was able to last time just wondered what your experiences were.

blessings

VeganCupcake 01-06-2012 09:30 AM

Re: If you breastfed when you got pregnant again..

Yes, I think so--but my DD was 2. She always said there was milk, but I bet there was very little. Most women do experience a dramatic reduction in supply because of pregnancy.

I found that I had to limit DD to nursing just a few times a day because it hurt so much to have her nurse! And sometimes nursing just drove me crazy and I wanted to scream. I am really glad DD persisted in nursing through the pregnancy and that I didn't wean her, but if it had been her main source of nutrition, I think it would have been much more difficult for me.

Daffodil Dolls 01-06-2012 09:47 AM

I have gotten pregnant twice while bf'ing. I got pregnant when my oldest DS was 6 months and he ended up self weaning around 12 months (when I was 6 months pregnant), I got pregnant again when my 2nd DS was about 10 months and he nursed until 16 months (also when I was 6 months pregnant) Neither time was due to a supply issue. My second son might have nursed longer but I did encourage weaning as I did not think I would be up to tandem nursing him and a newborn.

Both times in the first 6-8 weeks of pregnancy the nursing baby seemed to be fussier and not eating as much which I think was due to a change in the taste of the milk due to hormone changes but after a few weeks nursing went back to normal. It is very important to be very well nourished and hydrated as your body will give nutrients to the baby first, you second, and then if there is left over will make milk so milk supply can decrease if your body doesn't have enough fuel to take care of all three people.

worthfaraboverubies 01-06-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daffodil Dolls (Post 14401720)
I have gotten pregnant twice while bf'ing. I got pregnant when my oldest DS was 6 months and he ended up self weaning around 12 months (when I was 6 months pregnant), I got pregnant again when my 2nd DS was about 10 months and he nursed until 16 months (also when I was 6 months pregnant) Neither time was due to a supply issue. My second son might have nursed longer but I did encourage weaning as I did not think I would be up to tandem nursing him and a newborn.

Both times in the first 6-8 weeks of pregnancy the nursing baby seemed to be fussier and not eating as much which I think was due to a change in the taste of the milk due to hormone changes but after a few weeks nursing went back to normal. It is very important to be very well nourished and hydrated as your body will give nutrients to the baby first, you second, and then if there is left over will make milk so milk supply can decrease if your body doesn't have enough fuel to take care of all three people.

thanks mama this is very helpful :)..just in-case we get pregnant soon lol...we breed like rabbits here

marliah 01-06-2012 01:29 PM

I am nursing through pregnancy right now, my dd does seem to nurse more often, but she is getting milk. I nursed my first sin through my second pregnancy and tandemed and am hoping to do the same this time. It is possible :) and I got pregnant after 4 cycles this time. Af returned around the 9 month mark.

tibeca 01-06-2012 01:29 PM

I've nursed through one pregnancy and am currently nursing through a second. If you become pregnant while nursing a younger baby (say less than a year), you will likely need to supplement due to a dip in your supply.

eljube112 01-06-2012 01:31 PM

I got pregnant when ds was 9m and nursed him til 13m. In hindsight it was probably a nursing strike and not self-weaning, but it hurt to nurse at that point so we called it quits. He never really complained about the taste or not getting enough.

songbird516 01-06-2012 06:43 PM

My daughter was 16 months old when I got pregnant again and nursing a LOT. I could tell that my supply dropped in the beginning, but she didn't mind. Around 10-11 weeks it started really hurting to nurse, and I started weaning seriously, even though I wanted to nurse her until she was 2. So in my case it was less of a supply issue, and more of a case of it killing me to nurse her. Also, I just don't think it's that healthy for a mom to be nursing and making a baby; it's just difficult to support all of those things at the same time. So I weaned, albeit slowly.

fishingfor5 01-07-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marliah (Post 14403157)
I am nursing through pregnancy right now, my dd does seem to nurse more often, but she is getting milk. I nursed my first sin through my second pregnancy and tandemed and am hoping to do the same this time. It is possible :) and I got pregnant after 4 cycles this time. Af returned around the 9 month mark.

LMBO :roflmbo: When I first read this it made me giggle! I am sure you don't consider your LO a sin....:giggle: Sorry but sometimes typos make my day. :goodvibes:

Thanks ladies I guess I am a bit concerned as dd won't eat from a bottle or take any other device for nourishment. I will try that the good Lord knows this and what the plan should be. We do want the next one close so I guess we will just let things take their course. We have noticed dd loves to eat real food so maybe that is a blessing.

seacat 01-08-2012 06:24 PM

I got preggo when my son was 13 months and my supply tanked. I had quite a bit frozen but it went away immediately before I even had a positive test. It's actually what prompted me to take the test.