Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Baby is "underweight" but has been gaining weight...should I be concerned? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333008)

bellaphira 01-06-2012 09:48 AM

Baby is "underweight" but has been gaining weight...should I be concerned?

Went to the ped. today (reasons not dealing with weight) and she said that Lydia is considered underweight. She is just past 6 months and is 12 lb. 8oz. She was only 6lb 12oz at birth...and her lowest weight was like 6 lb 3 oz. Her main caloric intake is from breastmilk (on demand...a LOT throughout the day) but she does have cereal, fruits and veggies from time-to-time (mainly when I'm at work since she refuses to take a bottle). The doctor didn't seem overly concerned (and didn't suggest formula or anything like that...), she just said we need to work on getting her to take bottles of breastmilk at night (what we were in the ped. office for, because she has been sleeping TERRIBLE unless she's on the breast the WHOLE night...). Should I be trying to "fatten her up"? I feel like she's double her lowest weight by 6 months...she's meeting all her developmental milestones, she sits up fine on her own, can pass toys back and forth, puts EVERYTHING in her mouth haha, shoot...she even is starting to sign for milk and potty! I just always seem to get comments on how small she is (one lady thought she was only a month old!)

shortcake2386 01-06-2012 09:53 AM

Re: Baby is "underweight" but has been gaining weight...should I be concerned?

nope. gaining is not FTT. we had the same issue with ds(4.5lbs at birth)and switched peds 3x. he consistently gained 1lb a month(the low end of normal) and still does. he's perfectly health 19 months old and about 21/22lbs. no worries at all.

tibeca 01-06-2012 01:32 PM

My daughter weighed only 16lbs at one year. She started out at 7lbs. Look at your baby's growth chart. If she is gaining and following "Her" growth curve, then I wouldn't worry about it. Different babies weight different amounts. That's why there's a growth chart and not a your baby weighs x at age y table.

mommaagain 01-06-2012 02:02 PM

Nothing wrong with your kid, just your pedi. If she's doubled her birth weight in 6 months then she has to be following her growth curve. Not every kid is in the 50th percentile. Don't worry about it and keep doing what you're doing. Bottles in the middle of the night are a PITA. I know the sleep deprivation sucks, but it will get better. Many babies will reverse their schedules when mommy works. They take the bare minimum during the day and hold out for when the boobies get home. Then they feed to their little hearts content.

I worked only part time (1-3 shifts/week) with my kids and they still didn't STTN until much later than 6 months. Only the first one was a good sleeper. I think it was her way of getting siblings, LOL!

ashley0314 01-06-2012 02:54 PM

Ds1 varied from 5th to 25th percentile until he was 2, but he consistently gained so no worries. Some are just small :-)

GooseBella 01-06-2012 05:44 PM

My LO was born at 5pds 7.5oz.... she was not even on the typical charts until she was 3 months old. She is now consistenly in the under 10%, usually under 5% at all checkups. However, my Dr. only ever tells me about how she is doing according to her own personal growth chart. As long as she is consistently growing then she is doing fine. So I'd say as long as she is developing in the other areas your LO is doing fine.

Connor 01-06-2012 07:05 PM

She sounds perfectly healthy to me :thumbsup: My DS only gained 8lbs his whole 1st year, born at 9lbs, 17lbs at 1 year. Sounds like you are doing wonderfully. If YOU are worried or want to try and "fatten her up" I would reduce the solids and increase nursing. I definitely would not replace night nursings with bottles.

Whipple 01-06-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor (Post 14405283)
She sounds perfectly healthy to me :thumbsup: My DS only gained 8lbs his whole 1st year, born at 9lbs, 17lbs at 1 year. Sounds like you are doing wonderfully. If YOU are worried or want to try and "fatten her up" I would reduce the solids and increase nursing. I definitely would not replace night nursings with bottles.

I agree! Do you co-sleep? This could help tons with the night nursing. She's probably just making up for not getting boobie during the day. I don't blame her, its the caviar of milk :giggle:

Have you tried giving her expressed milk during the day in a sippy cup? My kids hated bottles. Just be sure to nurse her tons when you are home when not in bed. She could also just miss you and want snuggles, but at this age, nursing and snuggles with mum come hand in hand.

FormallyMichele 01-07-2012 10:34 AM

My oldest was also very small but she ate constantly! She has high metabolism like her daddy. All babies are different!

MDever 01-07-2012 10:39 AM

That sounds perfectly fine to me:headscratch: How was her growth curve? She doubled her birth weight by 6mo. I would just keep doing what you are doing.