Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Jan (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   What to eat during labor (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333201)

PurpleRina 01-06-2012 03:15 PM

What to eat during labor

Looking for ideas and suggestions about what to eat while laboring.

I've read Miso Soup and Coconut Water are good choices....and I'm willing to look into both, but I've never had either before. Other ideas/recommendations would be awesome! :thumbsup:

I know that the only thing I had with DD1 was dried fruit which I'll be doing again -- great sugar kick with some fiber, while not taking up tons of tummy space.

cutebluebaby 01-06-2012 03:22 PM

Re: What to eat during labor

With Z, the hospital wouldn't let me eat. With N, I wasn't able to eat... the thought of food just wasn't appealing at all.

This time we've got some Kashi cereal bars and some Trail Mix. I figure it's lighter food items / snack type items that if food does appeal to me, they won't be too heavy in the stomach.

upstategirl 01-06-2012 03:47 PM

I have some coconut water. I like it and it's a really good energy booster. I hope I can drink it as last time I wasn't allowed food. I'm hoping they let me eat a little bit this time if I feel like it. I remember dh eating a sub infront of me and it was so hard. I think the dried fruit is good. I think nuts and seeds are good too. Energy food but, not weighing you down to much. :)

mrscompgeek 01-06-2012 04:14 PM

ha ha, I dont have time to eat in labor. . . . Seriously food was the last thing on my mind. I didnt even drink the vitamin water I took with me. All I had was ice chips my doula fed me and then I only ate them because I was sooo hot.

leeuhhh 01-06-2012 04:23 PM

I have no appetite while in labor, but I'm sure I'll get thirsty. I don't like coconut water, so I packed up some packets of Propel ( I know, not the healthiest thing, but better than nothing). They do want me to eat before I leave the birth center, so I got an Amy's frozen dinner thing. I know I won't have an appetite, so I got my most favorite one and hopefully I can choke it down. Lol.

DoulainAK 01-06-2012 04:35 PM

I don't expect to be hungry but I've got labor aid made and I plan to get miso soup take out to put in my fridge since I drank the other one already :-) I'm way more concerned with what I'll eat after the birth than during.

Personally I don't like the taste of coconut water although it's super hydrating. So you might want to taste one soon so you can decide if that is something you can actually drink in labor. Same with the miso. Miso comes from sushi restaurants. It's sorta salty, I love it! Gatorade and vitamin waters are super sugary. So if you can't do the coconut water I'd say look up the recipe for labor ade. It's fresh squeezed lemon, water, honey, and a cal-mag supplement. (the magnesium will help the contractions to be more tolerable)

PurpleRina 01-06-2012 06:36 PM

The hospital didn't "allow" me to eat last time either, but considering I was there for 25 hours in labor between check in and when they decided to c-section I didn't care. And this time, I'm going to care even less if it's taking that long. I also don't plan to go to the hospital for a good long time unless things progress much faster this time or if my water breaks first again. I am "planning" for a long labor again just because I don't know any better. And I'm hoping to do the majority of it at home.

I love the idea of the "Labor-Aide" drink. Also adding some nuts to my hospital bag. GREAT idea. Thinking I may have string cheese available too... Anyone follow the Bradley Method? What do they recommend?

emilyrebekah 01-06-2012 06:40 PM

DDC crashing-- I drank lots of juice and sprite, as well as crackers, trail mix, bananas.... stuff with carbs that was also easy to vomit if needed..

DoulainAK 01-06-2012 06:56 PM

Juice and sprite will cause dehydration, so unless you're hooked up to an iv, those are prob not a good idea.

PurpleRina 01-06-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilyrebekah (Post 14405095)
DDC crashing-- I drank lots of juice and sprite, as well as crackers, trail mix, bananas.... stuff with carbs that was also easy to vomit if needed..

Ok, loving the "easy to vomit" idea. I'm not a puker, but it is something to take into consideration.

Doula, good point about sticking to hydrating fluids as the primary liquid. I'm not a sprite person, but if I end up in labor for 37 hours like the poster did, I might consider juice for an energy burst!

Miso soup is probably out for me. Highly allergic to fish....which stinks because I LOVE it. :yuck: