Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breastfeeding/sleep/gas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333304)

jcprincess.mcm 01-06-2012 07:50 PM

Breastfeeding/sleep/gas

My 3.5 month old boy is EBF, cd and co sleeps. He sleeps on me/in my arms in our bed. For the past few weeks we've had horrible getting him to sleep regardless of the time. At night he wakes frequently and fusses until he is patted. When he wakes he is usually scrunching up his body, knees to chest. He had been sleeping for 4-5 hours before the first night feeding. Now we are waking up every 1-2 hours. I'm not sure if he's hungry, going through sleep regression, or if it's bad gas. Please help me figure out what's happening with my little boy so everyone can get some sleep.

Connor 01-06-2012 07:52 PM

Are his stools normal? How is he during the day?

jcprincess.mcm 01-06-2012 08:23 PM

He has a bm about once a week. During the day he fights going to sleep but isn't as wakeful. He eats every 2 hours, has a one hour awake period and sleeps for 30-45 minutes before eating again. I can sometimes hear his tummy making gurgling noises.

mibarra 01-06-2012 09:51 PM

4 month sleep regression? If you suspect gas try some Mylicon. :)

fruitgrl 01-06-2012 10:05 PM

Wow, you just described my 3 month old ds exactly. He's been doing the same exact thing. It takes me 2 to 3 hours for me to get him to sleep at night with several nursing sessions. He used to take a pacifier and now it just makes him more upset when I try. He's also not really sleeping during the day at all and has the same gassiness that you are describing. And then there is the only having a bm once a week...I figured maybe it's a growth spurt or perhaps a dairy sensitivity? I wish I could give you some advice but I am at a loss myself! I just wanted to let you know that you're not the only one. Hang in there mama, I'm sure it's probably just a phase and in a month he'll probably be doing something completely different. At least that's been my experience, just when you think you have it down they change it up on you!

cmvikner 01-08-2012 07:58 PM

Re: Breastfeeding/sleep/gas

Sounds like the dreaded 4 month sleep regression or growth spurt to me! If it doesn't pass in a few days, then maybe try a food log to see if anything in your diet is affecting your little one?!?

jcprincess.mcm 01-08-2012 09:32 PM

Had a few sleepless nights (or at least on the couch). Been using gas drops; he seems to sleep better with me standing up or rocking and patting. He pooped 3 times in 2 days, so hopefully if it's a stomach issue we're past it. Hoping this will pass soon!!

mibarra 01-08-2012 11:18 PM

Re: Breastfeeding/sleep/gas

I remember my DD went through this around 4 months. I was convinced it was a dairy issue, and quit all dairy... for nothing! It made no difference, and she grew out of it on her own. I know it's rough. When my DD has gas, she prefers being upright as well. You can also try a tummy massage as part of the bedtime routine: first rub in circles clockwise (as you are looking at baby, not from their prospective), then you can do 'I love you' on their intestines, in the lower abdominal area, run your fingers down their left side from around the belly button area, then go from their right to their left just above the belly button area, then down the side. Then start on the lower right side, go up, over, and down the left (if kind of makes an 'I', sideways 'L' and upside down 'U'). :)