Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Do You Prefer A Male Or Female OB? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333382)

love2bmommy 01-06-2012 10:10 PM

Do You Prefer A Male Or Female OB?

The title says it all. After discussions with DH and several friends, I was wondering what others thought.

love2bmommy 01-06-2012 10:18 PM

Re: Do You Prefer A Male Or Female OB?

For me, it doesn't matter at all what the gender my OB is. I've had a female OB who I absolutely loved and was heartbroken to move away from during the middle of my pregnancy. And I have a male OB now who I love almost as much. DH gets uncomfortable with the "internal exams" and has never asked me to switch, but I know he'd love it if I got a female OB. I really wouldn't want to switch....I feel comfortable with this OB, he was my OB for at least part of every single one of my pregnancies, and I would hate to start over with someone new. (Like I said, DH has never asked me to switch....I'm just justifying why I wouldn't want to).

Nearly every female friend I've ever talked to has been shocked that I have and like a male OB. But I know there must be other people out there like me because it seems like there are way more male OB's than female ones! :giggle:

MyLovely 01-06-2012 10:42 PM

Doesn't really matter to me, it's all about personality. In my own experience, I've found males to be much more gentle and less judgmental. I told my gyno that once, he says that since he doesn't have the parts, he makes a point to be extra gentle because he doesn't want to hurt his patients. Maybe I've just had bad luck with female gynos? I had a really excellent female NP once, I was devastated when I had to move.

I often joke that I wish there were midhusbands. I'll homebirth, so no OB for me, but I do admit that I'd prefer a male. I didn't vote that way though, because I have never heard of a male midwife delivering at home.

mibarra 01-06-2012 10:47 PM

I always was uncomfortable with the idea of a male. But with DD1 my primary care recommended a male as a good one for us, and we decided to trust her. I LOVED that doc, he was awesome, delivered both my babies. He moved to a new office too far away and I'm so upset. I think personality matters more. My DH really liked him too! He was friendly but still professional.

qsefthuko 01-06-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyLovely (Post 14406271)
Doesn't really matter to me, it's all about personality. In my own experience, I've found males to be much more gentle and less judgmental. I told my gyno that once, he says that since he doesn't have the parts, he makes a point to be extra gentle because he doesn't want to hurt his patients. Maybe I've just had bad luck with female gynos? I had a really excellent female NP once, I was devastated when I had to move.

I often joke that I wish there were midhusbands. I'll homebirth, so no OB for me, but I do admit that I'd prefer a male. I didn't vote that way though, because I have never heard of a male midwife delivering at home.

I have heard of one male midwife just don't remember where.

OnAnnaTime 01-06-2012 10:56 PM

I prefer female. I didn't mind have male OBs deliver my children, but I was uncomfortable seeing them during my pregnancies. I have issues and I accept that it's a hard situation for me so I avoid it when possible. Now I see midwives in a birth center, so it's moot.

knodceo 01-06-2012 11:05 PM

Female...male ob creeps me out and I'm not sure why.

TrennaII 01-06-2012 11:07 PM

Male. Women treat me like I'm a freak, because my cervix is SUPER tender. They just say, "your cervix cant feel anything" as I writhe in pain.

Best pap ever: gay male doc. He said he figures he doesn't have a clue what it feels like to me so he'd better be quick and gentle.

Minniebees 01-06-2012 11:07 PM

Doesn't matter.

patooty 01-06-2012 11:52 PM

male midwife in nunavut i heard