Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Wire bras? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1333519)

FormallyMichele 01-07-2012 10:30 AM

Wire bras?

I've been nursing for 2 months. I've been using wireless bras but the lack of support is bothering me. My breasts are heavy and large and I prefer a wire, but I've heard wires are a big no-no. Advice?

tibeca 01-07-2012 10:36 AM

Re: Wire bras?

Wireless bras aren't necessarily a "no-no." It is ESSENTIAL to wear the absolute right size while nursing. Be resized and try different styles to find what fits best. There are plenty of underwire nursing bras out there. IF you can't find one in your size, (I never can) it is acceptable to buy a stretchy lace type bra and sew on nursing clips. In order to know whether a bra is stretchy enough, put the bra on. Take 1 strap off your shoulder and see if you can easily/comfortably pull the cup down to expose your breast for nursing.
Good luck!

mamaspice 01-07-2012 10:38 AM

I have heard that after your milk supply (and size) has regulated, and if you are wearing the correct size, it is okay. An ill fitting underwire could damage breast tissue or inpede milk, causing an infection.

If you have a Nordstrom nearby, they are the experts at bra fittings, and carry Bravado nursing bras both with and without wires as well as a few other high end brands. The brands they carry are expensive, but I think it's worth going to get a fitting and buy one or two- once you know your correct size and how a bra is supposed to feel (comfy and supportive), you can bargain shop.

lj2blessed 01-07-2012 11:01 AM

I never wore an underwire bra when I was nursing DD - all I wore were nursing tanks and yes, my large breasts were basically sweeping the floor :blush: Purchased a few underwire nursing bras and I get clogged ducts (and PAIN) when I wear them, the support is not worth the discomfort for me.

mibarra 01-07-2012 11:23 AM

I didn't do underwire, but I did do those thicker molded cups, which made a big difference to my 36DDs. :)

Teexie 01-07-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj2blessed (Post 14408015)
I never wore an underwire bra when I was nursing DD - all I wore were nursing tanks and yes, my large breasts were basically sweeping the floor :blush: Purchased a few underwire nursing bras and I get clogged ducts (and PAIN) when I wear them, the support is not worth the discomfort for me.

Same here, minus the large breasts :blush: I can't wear anything resembling a normal bra, or I get plugged ducts. I can't wear most of my clothes due to lack of a supportive bra, but eh, nursing is temporary. I hope you are able to find something that works for you!

kferg 01-07-2012 05:02 PM

I wear underwire bras every day without any problems. At night I just wear sports bras with a tank that has a built in shelf bra (I never count those as bras). I got my underwire bras from motherhood maternity and they sized me to make sure I was wearing the right size (I was WAY off) and they look like normal bras not mommy bras. lol

gruverschick 01-07-2012 05:32 PM

I wore underwires with my second. I agree it is VERY important to get a bra that fits. I first tried one from Motherhood and it didn't work at all. I'm large enough that it wasn't supportive even with the underwire. I found a local shop that fitted me and I bought bras there. They were not cheap but I'm ok with spending $50 on a bra if it means the girls are where they are supposed to be!

Br2me 01-07-2012 06:12 PM

ohh how i HATE bra shopping!!!

at this months lll meeting we were talking about bras and underwire...I have LARGE breast too and can't find any nursing bras that will hold the girls up and where they should be...I have cried over illfitting bras before...like out of control crying!! i can't stand it!

so this time around..i plan on wearing my crazy illfitting bras until my milk is in a settled then find a great fitting reg. bra and turn it into a nursing bra by adding the clips...with dd2 i was a EPer for 8 months and wore reg. underwire bras...and just undid them and lifted them up or when at home just took the bra off and pumped then put everything back where it went...but i plan to do everything it takes to get this LO to latch sooo plan on nursing and needing nursing bras!!

NikkiNicole 01-07-2012 10:44 PM

I'm a 34DDD if I don't have an underwire, even with nursing tanks, I feel like they are at my bellybutton(TMI lol). I haven't had any issues with the underwires and nursing