Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Best material/dipes for sensitive skin? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334063)

Antebellum 01-08-2012 12:43 PM

Best material/dipes for sensitive skin?

So right now we use flats and pul covers, sometimes fleece covers. My DD#2 has crazy sensitive skin and I am wondering if there is anything better than what we are using but still very budget friendly (super tight). I would love to let her skin breathe more, when I try to let her run around in just a pinned flat she always manages to wiggle it really loose (partially because of my horrible pinning skills:giggle:) I like wool but I cant tolerate it at all on my skin nor can her dad and im not sure that i want to risk it on her since its so pricey, kwim. I would love to hear your suggestions!:goodvibes:
Ariel

sarahannecloud9 01-08-2012 01:28 PM

Re: Best material/dipes for sensitive skin?

What about some upcycled wool. Very price friendly here on the fsot forum. It functions just as well as our knit and crochet.

Antebellum 01-08-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 (Post 14414221)
What about some upcycled wool. Very price friendly here on the fsot forum. It functions just as well as our knit and crochet.

whenever I wear wool or dds dad has worn wool he has a reaction to it, very itchy and then I break out. Im just concerned her sensitive skin would react to it, or would the soaker cover mostly her dipe not her skin? im sorry to sound so ignorant I just have no experience with wool as a soaker/cover. Thanks so much! You are always so incredibly helpful, you're like my cding fairy:giggle:

maple79vt 01-08-2012 02:10 PM

My little one has very sensative skin too. We can't use prefolds anymore because she needs to have a wicking layer to protect her skin. Right now we use pockets, I'm considering making her some pockets with fleece because I think her skin might breath more.

eahcapemay 01-08-2012 02:15 PM

Fleece covers are a great option. You can even just use fleece pants. I have a pair of carters pants that I use as a cover. Since fleece doesn't fray you can buy fleece pants and cut them into shorties for the summer. If your lucky you may even be able to find them at good will.

traderbren 01-08-2012 02:28 PM

Another vote for fleece. Very breathable. I've been using a lot lately with our flats.

colin-mylilguy 01-08-2012 02:37 PM

fleece over your flats - easy and pretty cheap option to try

we love fitted diapers with wool over it, but from what you said about you and your DH have a reaction, I'd probably not try wool, at least for now.... bummer.

Wool is really awesome. :)

ssand23 01-08-2012 03:01 PM

I was surprised with my 2 year old, I'm very allergic to food, environmental everything, meds & fabrics. I can't wear wool or acrylic (even 2% wool or 1% acrylic is enough for me to react to). My big girls couldn't wear wool covers either but my little guy can wear wool! He is so allergic, he's still on a liquid medical diet at age 2, can't tolerate other foods at all but wool is okay. :) It is possible to share allergies to the same things but just because a specific item is a problem for you and/or dh, doesn't mean it always will be for your children.

If you are interested, I'd check FSOT here & see if you can find some deals on wool. Imse Vimse makes a great wool wrap cover with Velcro so you could put it on & not need to pin. I like it also since it is machine washable.

Have you tried snappis for the flats? Maybe add a Joey Bunz in there for added absorbency & try cover less with a Snappi to keep it well attached?

sarahannecloud9 01-08-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexmama (Post 14414419)
whenever I wear wool or dds dad has worn wool he has a reaction to it, very itchy and then I break out. Im just concerned her sensitive skin would react to it, or would the soaker cover mostly her dipe not her skin? im sorry to sound so ignorant I just have no experience with wool as a soaker/cover. Thanks so much! You are always so incredibly helpful, you're like my cding fairy:giggle:

:blush:Thanks hun. I know you said you are already using fleece. If you wanted to try wool though, You could try a wrap or butt sweater.
A wrap would be best for as little skin contact as possible. They can be found in a wide variety wof softer wools. Like first cuts, cashmere, llama, lambs wool, ect. The wool intypical sweaters can often be much tougher fibers than found in the ones I listed. I can handle soft wools only as well. I get the same reaction as you and dh. Fleece is a great cover as well though. But since you were looking into other options, a wrap or butt sweeater would be my suggestion. It takes a little time to hunt down what you are looking for at the price you want to pay. You don't want to invest too much, as it may not work for you. Here is a pic of Cayden (Mr. sensitive) wearing a butt sweater I made.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...9/100_1518.jpg

Xanders 01-08-2012 04:19 PM

Also remember to pat the bottom completely dry. :)

Everyone's suggestions are great!