Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   cleaning out NOT diaper safe butt crm :( HELP! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334308)

Earthy Momma 01-08-2012 08:43 PM

cleaning out NOT diaper safe butt crm :( HELP!

ok help please!!!

im using my megaroo's (those are the main ones i use) etpf, and osocozy prefolds... nothing elaberate (like stay dry AIO's) so should b easy to do right? i hope...

so those are the diapers i use little belle baby bottom creme its all organic and a local diaper rash crm and where i live ppl are very into cloth diapers so i had assumed it was cloth diaper safe....

ingredients:
olive oil, organic comfrey, organic st. johns wort, organic calendula, beeswax, vitamin e, and essential oils....

baby is only a week, efb, i wash every other day...and the diapers look clean, stained, but clean and they SMELL like freshly cut grass like where the poo stains are, i know thats odd...but i figured it was either thqat...or my wash routine???

so diapers just sit in a dry pail till wash day (every other day) and then i put them in the washer, 2 rinses with vinegar in the fabric softener thing, then a full wash with country save and vinegar again, with and extra rinse, (always have the extra rinse on) and then 2 rinses with the vinegar again....and i have soft water...

what is going on can some one help me, i was assuming it was the crm but maybe from wash routine, idk? i really love that butt crm and would hate to stop using it...please help! thanks!:hugs:

Kayla1981 01-08-2012 10:16 PM

Re: cleaning out NOT diaper safe butt crm :( HELP!

I'm not really sure why you would need to use so much vinegar. (But keep in mind that we have moderate to hard water so I can only speak from my experience.) I know some people use it as part of their wash routine but only once. Personally, I've never used it. I just do a cold or warm rinse (or a quick wash if there are lots of pooped in diapers) and then a hot wash with detergent and one extra rinse.

I would also be concerned about the bees wax in the diaper ointment. Maybe someone else can chime in here but that may cause some repelling issues.

missgen83 01-09-2012 02:34 AM

I would cut out the vinegar and just do a cold short wash with no detergent (I use the delicate cycle, as it has the most water). Then a long hot wash with detergent, followed by 1 or 2 warm short washes with no detergent (again, I use my delicate cycle here). :). Good luck mama!

Oh, and as far as the cream goes, you should be ok of you aren't having repelling issues yet, but I would start using a liner. You can buy a pack of disposable liners and they seem to last me a while and work well when I use a&d on my son. :).

Earthy Momma 01-09-2012 01:36 PM

i use so much vinegar cuz i dont want the diapers to be stinky im still unsure about the dry pail, when i used a hanging wet bag with dd got amonia so bad, so i started doing a wet pail and didnt get the stink but im too lazy to deal with a wet pail this time around with a newborn and a pl 2 yr old...
im a lil worries about using HOT water in my wash routine cuz i dont wnat my megaroos to shrink
but i do use warm, and cold water...
i guess ill have to mess around with the wash routine to hopefully get rid of this 'grass' smell... thanks mamas.

Levi_Elizabeth 01-09-2012 01:44 PM

I agree - I don't think you need so much vinegar. I would think plain water wash on cold before you start the actual wash cycle. I thought vinegar is just to make your diapers softer? So I would just use it in the main wash.

As far as the diaper cream goes I would just buy some coconut oil at the store and use that. It works great and is CD safe for sure! Then at least you know it is not the cream.

Good LUck!

bigmamakelsey 01-09-2012 01:47 PM

Ya, cut out the vinager. With a brand new ebf baby isn't neccessary and also a lot of water usage. I'd do a rinse on cold, hot wash with detergent, and a rinse on warm or cold. The diaper cream is CD safe.

newtocloth2 01-09-2012 02:15 PM

That's a lot of rinses and a lot of vinegar! The diaper cream doesn't sound bad at all, but maybe use a liner to be safe.

lynn97 01-09-2012 03:50 PM

Ditto much of what PPs have said. I'd use a liner w/the cream (personally, I'm using liners w/ANY cream at this point). I'd also nix the vinegar and just do a cold rinse, then a hot wash with an extra rinse. I think you really should try the hot wash (it will kill more bacteria which may be the source of your stink). I'd also play around with your detergent as you may need a little more than you're currently using. GL!

LadybugMonkey 01-09-2012 08:07 PM

I agree with PP. Also, toddler pee is WAY more potent then newborn pee. We never had any amonia problems with our diapers until DS got older. Then we just had to strip the diapers occasionally to prevent any buildup. A

I thought the vinegar was to help with hard water. We have really hard water here and we use it regularly in our dishwasher in the prewash since its the only thing what will keep the hard water stains off of the glasses. Either way I would be worried that all that vinegar would leave the pH of the diapers on the acidic side and cause irritation.