Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Caring a newbie questions (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334315)

Mom2G&J 01-08-2012 08:56 PM

Caring a newbie questions

I have never CD a newbie. My DS was 9 months when I switched to cloth. Anyway, for those of you who have, I have a question. What do you do about the first poo, the miconium poo? Is it hard to clean out of CDs? I know it can be pretty sticky and thick. Does it stain CDs? I wanna Cd from the moment he/she comes out, but DH and I are not sure about the miconium. Any advice is appreciated! TIA!

ETA: the title was supposed to say "CDing a newbie question":banghead:

wildsissy 01-08-2012 09:03 PM

Re: Caring a newbie questions

You could use liners.. either the kind you buy like little toilet paper sheets of paper or some are like rice paper.. or you could make some fleece liners yourself. easy, cheap, no sewing... My midwife was REALLY against me CDing until the baby was at the very least 2 weeks old. She wanted me to concentrate on breastfeeding, getting enough food/water/rest and not thinking about dirty diapers and trying to figure out a CD routine. I know mama's do it from day 1, but now looking back I'm glad I didn't start right out of the gate.

bfeigner 01-08-2012 09:07 PM

we cd'd from first dipe, and the meconium washed right out of our prefolds, and fitteds no problem!

love_cloth 01-08-2012 09:09 PM

My third lo wore cloth from birth. The first poo washes out easily and leaves no stains.

nonipie 01-08-2012 09:10 PM

It washes right out and typically does not stain. We started late with our first like you so we wanted to start right away with #2. She was a preemie at 35 weeks so we were not prepared enough to bring it to the hospital but started the next day when she was 2 days old. It was easy, no stress, no extra work at all the not one of the diapers were stained. Dh threw it all in the wash like normal. CDing from birth is totally doable. You're still changing diapers, right? They just get washed in the end.

love_cloth 01-08-2012 09:26 PM

I think it is less work to use cloth. Easy to stay home and do laundry. More work to go to store & take extra garbage out. :)

Mom2G&J 01-08-2012 09:27 PM

I did think about liners, I have only ever used the flushable ones. We live on a well this time, so that may not be an option, I'll have to look into that.
Makes me feel better knowing that it will wash out. I would hate to stain my new diapers right off the bat, ya know?

minneapolisite 01-08-2012 09:32 PM

SKIP THE LINERS. Meconium washes out without any special care. It washed out of ALL of our diapers, including hemp, bamboo, cotton, and microfleece.

Seriously, meconium is the least of your worries. EBF poo is much more likely to stain (but disappears with a little sunning!) :)

TrennaII 01-08-2012 10:35 PM

Our midwife was thrilled we decided to cloth diaper from the first moment. She even showed us some cool folds for flats.

We didn't use liners and there was zero problem getting it out. Just like the rest of the EBF poo, we just put it straight in the washer. Yep, even our very very very first time washing cloth diapers, we had zero problems with the meconium.

But one AWESOME tip regarding meconium (also from our midwife): Slather the baby up in olive oil before you put on the first diaper, and keep doing it with each diaper change until the meconium has finished passing. It's normally hard to get off the baby (so I've heard), but when we did this it wiped right off with no problem! If I hadn't gotten some on my arm right after he was born, I wouldn't know there was anything different about meconium.

vtechmom 01-08-2012 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by love_cloth
My third lo wore cloth from birth. The first poo washes out easily and leaves no stains.

Exactly this. We did GMD PFs from the very first diaper and it was super easy and the meconium washed right out.