Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Chronic Diarrhea - WWYD about dipes? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334413)

scbusf 01-09-2012 06:45 AM

Chronic Diarrhea - WWYD about dipes?

When DD1 came home from China, she had diarrhea for over a year. Gross. DD2 just came home from China and she had normal poop for a few weeks, and now it's diarrhea. Only once or twice a day.

I have a brand new stash of Grovia AI2s just sitting in a box. I've thought about using them right after she poops for a while. But then if she does poop in one of them, I will be sorely tempted to throw it away.

WWYD? Give up the cloth idea?

alaskamum 01-09-2012 07:27 AM

Re: Chronic Diarrhea - WWYD about dipes?

Do you have a sprayer? My toddler still has pretty mushy nasty poop most of the time, but the sprayer makes it pretty easy to deal with.
It will probably hold in the poop better than sposies too.

scbusf 01-09-2012 07:29 AM

Hmmm ... I don't have a sprayer. That's a good idea. I have some flats to put in the Grovia covers. Those should be pretty easy to clean, I would imagine.

alaskamum 01-09-2012 07:54 AM

Good luck! A sprayer makes a big difference when the poop isn't "ploppable." I dunked and swished for a summer with ds when we were waiting to get into our house (living with IL's) and it was not fun. It worked, but I was so glad to have my sprayer back.
Just make sure you hold the diaper down low in the bowl so you don't get poop spray everywhere, and test the water pressure in the water before you shoot it at the diaper. It takes a little practice to get good at spraying, but it can totally be done without making a mess.
I had to laugh at your post, dd just made a poop this morning that would have been nice to throw away...but it really wasn't that bad. I do drag my diaper pail into the bathroom so I don't have to carry a wet (i.e. possible dripping) diaper down the hall.

Almacham 01-09-2012 07:57 AM

The pp is right - a sprayer can work wonders! And flats are super easy to clean.

mom2fourlilEs 01-09-2012 07:59 AM

Fleece liners! They are the best! they catch most of everything and its very easy to wash out in the potty. I used the detachable shower head from my shower as it is next to our toilet. WOrked just fine for me... I researched sprayers and was going to get one...........but then realized... my shower sprayer works just as well..:giggle:
They also have lay in disposable liners... I bought some but never used them as we have a septic system and they are not recommened for that. Might be something you could look into.. they also could be thrown away... I thought in the beginning that is what I needed to cloth diaper as I didnt like the idea of having to dunk diapers.... turns out the fleece ones were the bomb! They made clean up so easy and I hardly ever had any of my diapers stain because of them!
Oh.. one more thing.. I didnt buy liners... I bought a cheap fleece blanket ( like $2) and cut it up into strips.. that way I didnt feel bad about throwing it away if I needed to.. turns out I think I only ever threw away 1! You could just as easy use any fleece blanket you have or get a yard of cheap fleece from your local fabric store.

Hope that helps!

Ladyflower 01-09-2012 08:06 AM

A diaper sprayer makes things so much easier. My ds #2 has peanut buttery/diarheaa poop about 80% of the time. And he was going anywhere from 1-3 times/day on average. Only recently has it started to get a little more ploppable and he's averaging more like 1 time a day now. I tried using disposable liners, but the liner shifts and the poop gets all over the diaper anyway. Even when I use fleece liners his poop ends up all over the diaper so it doesn't help that much. I wouldn't be able to do it without the sprayer.

cryswilkins 01-09-2012 08:16 AM

If anything I would think that cloth would be easier to deal with diarrhea than sposies. DS has some health issues and his poop is watery more than its solid and it would for sure run right out of a sposie.

mom2fourlilEs 01-09-2012 02:56 PM

that is interesting... I found with the fleece liners I used, it caught most everything.. I made them as big as my prefold when it was folded and laid it right on top... it caught the runny stuff WAY better than disposables... once I started cloth, I never had the blow out diapers I was used to with disposables... I agree about the throw away liners.. one of the reasons I didnt use very many, they wouldnt stay in place.... I also TOTTALLY agree with PP about a sprayer, of some kind!! wonderful!

KimA 01-09-2012 04:37 PM

I would do something easy like pfs and covers or use diaper liners. The fabric diaper liners would be better. You want something really sturdy!