Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In July (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Sciatica Help (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334551)

Buffy1023 01-09-2012 10:42 AM

Sciatica Help

I think this is worse than my m/s this time around. I get sciatica pain with each pregnancy, but this is a lot earlier and ten times more painful.

Last night started hurting. Always starting in my very lower back only on the left side and shooting down my butt and stopping at the back of my knee.

It hurts to do anything. The only time it doesn't hurt is if I am laying down or standing up but still. Sitting down hurts the worse. Moving of any sort hurts.

Does anyone have any advice to make this more bareable. I feel like curling up in bed crying, but don't think my two kiddos would like that much.

Only thing I remember my dr. saying was that exercise would help. I am planning on getting on the treadmill after ds goes down for his nap. Hopefully that will work and will not be too uncomfortable.

Thanks mamas for listening!!

mabelinoad 01-09-2012 11:16 AM

Re: Sciatica Help

can this be helped in a chiro office?

MommaKatie 01-09-2012 11:17 AM

I have the exact same pain. I've been sleeping on the opposite side of the pain with a king size pillow between my legs. It supports my leg, basically from hip to toe. That's helped a lot. I also got one of those big exercise balls. I sit on it for 5-10 minutes 2 or 3 times a day. When I sit on the exercise ball I sit up tall and straight and my hips/knees/feet are aligned with my shoulders. I can feel the pressure relieved and it at least lets me play with my kids for a while and get a few things done around the house. Hope that helps.

rosenfried2 01-09-2012 11:49 AM

Chiro..get to one..will help immensely!

Buffy1023 01-09-2012 11:51 AM

Thanks!! I am going to run to Target for a ball after ds wakes up from his nap. Hopefully that is a quick fix, if not, I dread going to the chiropractor, but I guess it might be unavoidable at this point. I just want this pain to go away!.

Thanks!:hugs:

melyndie 01-09-2012 12:04 PM

I had had sciatica before my first pregnancy, and it got worse during pregnancy and even worse after. I have been seeing a chiropractor regularly since the end of my DD's pregnancy (so around May 2010), and that has helped IMMENSELY. I also have some other back issues (curved spine and such), so I've been going all this time for more than just sciatica. I still get some sciatic pain (had some a few days ago), but it is so much less often and the pain is much less than it used to be. I used to get it radiating all the way down to my ankles, YEOUCH!

Two things I do that help when the pain hits (before I can get to a chiro):
--Sit on an exercise/birth ball and roll back as far as I can (so I'm doubled up on myself with my rear going toward the floor) to really stretch the hip muscles. I'll angle myself to stretch one hip and then the other. Of course, I have to hold onto something while I do this, or I'd fall right over. :) Also, just sitting on the ball and moving my hips around in circles helps a lot. And I try other exercises on and off the ball that stretch the hip muscle and the thigh muscle.
--I lie on my side and have DH take his elbow and press it down really hard right on the most painful spot on my hip. Yes, it HURTS, but it hurts in a good way, and it helps calm down the spasming muscle. Sometimes I'll have him do this in the middle of the night if my hip is bothering me so much I can't sleep. My mom has sciatic pain sometimes, and her bed frame is right at the same level as her hip, so she'll lean into the sharp corner of it to put pressure on the spot in the same way. Maybe a kitchen counter or dining room table might be the right height for you?

And things I've learned to help avoid sciatic pain:
--Don't cross my legs at the thighs/knees (the lady-like way).
--Keep my body as symmetrical as possible. That is, don't sit on one leg, don't sit on the floor leaning on one hip. I try to keep my legs/knees/hips parallel.
--Don't sit for long periods, especially at the computer where I'm most prone to have bad posture.
--Exercise regularly.

HTH!

chapmanrl6 01-09-2012 12:11 PM

DDC, but I had horrible sciatica to the point of not being able to walk with both pgs. I got my OB to refer me to a PT at the hospital who works specifically with Mamas to be. Basically, she rubbed my butt. :goodvibes: They applied heat, did massage and had be do some exercises on a stability ball. It worked well. Also, some gentle stretching and warm baths helped.

Buffy1023 01-09-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melyndie (Post 14419716)
Two things I do that help when the pain hits (before I can get to a chiro):
--Sit on an exercise/birth ball and roll back as far as I can (so I'm doubled up on myself with my rear going toward the floor) to really stretch the hip muscles. I'll angle myself to stretch one hip and then the other. Of course, I have to hold onto something while I do this, or I'd fall right over. :) Also, just sitting on the ball and moving my hips around in circles helps a lot. And I try other exercises on and off the ball that stretch the hip muscle and the thigh muscle.
--I lie on my side and have DH take his elbow and press it down really hard right on the most painful spot on my hip. Yes, it HURTS, but it hurts in a good way, and it helps calm down the spasming muscle. Sometimes I'll have him do this in the middle of the night if my hip is bothering me so much I can't sleep. My mom has sciatic pain sometimes, and her bed frame is right at the same level as her hip, so she'll lean into the sharp corner of it to put pressure on the spot in the same way. Maybe a kitchen counter or dining room table might be the right height for you?

And things I've learned to help avoid sciatic pain:
--Don't cross my legs at the thighs/knees (the lady-like way).
--Keep my body as symmetrical as possible. That is, don't sit on one leg, don't sit on the floor leaning on one hip. I try to keep my legs/knees/hips parallel.
--Don't sit for long periods, especially at the computer where I'm most prone to have bad posture.
--Exercise regularly.
HTH!

Thanks mama!!! I am going to target when ds wakes up to get a ball. I might even wake him up early to get there. :giggle2: These will be great exercises to try!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmanrl6 (Post 14419759)
DDC, but I had horrible sciatica to the point of not being able to walk with both pgs. I got my OB to refer me to a PT at the hospital who works specifically with Mamas to be. Basically, she rubbed my butt. :goodvibes: They applied heat, did massage and had be do some exercises on a stability ball. It worked well. Also, some gentle stretching and warm baths helped.

My next appt. is on the 19th. I am going to ask my OB about this. A butt massage with heat sound great right about now :giggle2: Thanks!!