Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Opinions.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335137)

Colleen+1 01-10-2012 12:33 PM

Opinions....

My sil is considering cloth diapers for #3, due to financial reasons....

Someone she knows online is a cd mama and helping her. I am curious though opinions on which you prefer of the "cheaper" one size diapers.

Sil is currently interested in Sunbaby as they "go on just like a disposable". I told her about Kawaii, and I know there are Alva baby. Any others I am forgetting?

If you have tried them which do you prefer? I would suggest flats/prefolds/covers but that is just more work than she is willing to do. She is looking for ease and affordability.

Sally's Red Meadow 01-10-2012 12:41 PM

Re: Opinions....

Sunbabies are cheap. They run small though so I would not expect then to fit until potty training.
I like sized prefolds and one size covers for the cheapest working cloth option. But I don't recommend the cheapest covers out there. Instead I recommend getting good covers from The Fancy Pansy on HC as they will last longer and fit better.
I recommend getting prefolds from GMD. They have seconds sales every so often and they post them on their FB page. That would be the cheapest way that works in my opinion.

Kabuki24 01-10-2012 12:44 PM

Another cheaper option too that people forget about is Bumpkins. I know there are sales right now for $9.99 for their AIOs and Pockets. I have two of their pockets and they work just fine. Velcro is very strong. In fact, they are daycare's favorite diaper. I put a newborn BG insert in them as a doubler because the Bumpkins insert is lacking.

What about slightly used BGs or FBs?

Kabuki24 01-10-2012 12:49 PM

Forgot one. Coolababy. Ebay dipes. I have one. I like it. It's cute.

Colleen+1 01-10-2012 01:09 PM

I thought about mentioning seconds to her, and have told her about the flats/pf's which I think are really are easy too, I love flats, but I think maybe too much of a commitment for her if that makes any sense.

I don't remember the price point she gave me for the sunbabies, but it wasn't much. I think cheaper than bg seconds still.

WeeEssentials 01-10-2012 02:31 PM

Try assuntastore.com. The owner is an American living in China, and the diapers are (I'm pretty sure) the exact same as kawaii. (I've seen the wholesale listings; kawaii seems to just put their brand name on the diapers??) Anyway, they are my go-to pockets and they still look new after 1 1/2 years of use. The only problem is they do run a bit small - my DD, wearing 24 mo clothing, is on the largest setting and has been for a while.

Oh, plus IIRC, some of the proceeds for assuntastore.com go to help an orphanage and similar programs that the family who owns assunta run.

Kayla1981 01-10-2012 02:47 PM

I used to be a Kawaii supporter b/c that is what makes up most of our stash but I cannot recommend them anymore.

I've had threads break on about half of my 12 diapers. It doesn't affect the function since they've all broken up at the top but I think it's a reflection of the quality. None of our other brands have done this (BG, FB, Grovia)

Also, customer service SUCKS. I was having horrible leaking issues for a while and it was like pulling teeth just to get an email response. I would send an email with all sorts of details and a couple of days later I would get reply asking me questions I had already answered. I asked for a phone number to contact them but they ignored my request and stopped answering my emails.

Yes, they were cheap. Yes, they work well, besides the threads breaking. I cannot, in good conscience, recommend them to anyone anymore!

I really think buying used would be a great option. You will pay about the same or a little more for better brands. Pockets are a super easy diaper for newbies that will not break the bank. She could watch Craigslist, forums on Facebook or the FSOT forum here for good deals. Seconds sales would be another way to get quality diapers for a great price.

The initial investment may be a little shocking to them but remind them about how much they will save in the long run!

Levi_Elizabeth 01-10-2012 03:43 PM

My vote is for the alvababy especially if you do them through a co-op! The fleece inner generally are sized smaller than suede cloth inner, but both have gentle elastic and work well. I love the alvababy 3 layer bamboo inserts and that is all I stuff with. Plus there are tons of colors and prints!