Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In July (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Are Prenatal Labs Necessary? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335377)

neatostacy 01-10-2012 06:49 PM

Are Prenatal Labs Necessary?

This is my first post on this due date club! So...
I'm going in for my 12 wk appt tomorrow and I'm scheduled for all those labs. I remember with my last pregnancy she took what seemed like vials and vials of blood. I'm having some anxiety about the whole thing, and I wonder how much of it is really "necessary." I mean, I know I can refuse any of them, but what's really important to get? Can they use the info from my last pregnancy? I don't have syphyllis or chlamydia or anything. What can I do?

luckyducky77 01-10-2012 07:15 PM

I would definitely do the hep B screen because if you don't, the default is to assume you might have it and then baby gets the hep b immunoglobulin at birth with the hep b vaccine. Even if 2 yrs ago you tested neg. blood count to screen for anemia is a good idea. The chlamydia isn't a blood test so that doesn't matter with the vials of blood. You could probably get away with not doing HIV. Is it just the needle phobia thing? Once the needle is in, doesn't really matter how much blood they pull out unless you're a slow bleeder. I bleed easy and fast with blood draws so didn't really bug me to have all the vials taken. Was over pretty quickly. Though I've been getting blood draws since I was 7 months old due to my thyroid issues so I guess this doesn't phase me.

neatostacy 01-10-2012 07:37 PM

Re: Are Prenatal Labs Necessary?

Yeah, I guess you're right that once the needle is in it doesn't matter too much as long as it doesn't take long. It's just thinking about the whole process that makes me anxious. I tend to get "stuck" on an anxiety-inducing idea and can't get past it...like a broken record in my brain! I just tend to get anxious about some medical things, but I just need to remember that it's routine and it's not going to kill me. I'll have my youngest with me, so I have to be brave for her:-) I do remember last time I opted out of the HIV. I don't remember what else they test for. I definitely don't want to do the genetic screens...I think the triple screen is the one I haven't gotten in the past. Actually as I type this, I'm feeling more brave. It will be a challenge for me to not get hung up on something so silly.

imnottelling 01-10-2012 07:40 PM

Some of this is dependent on state law, others can be waived.
You do want to be checked for immunity to certain things (like rubella which could wear off), iron levels (since anemia is so common in pregnancy).

Tip: make sure to drink tons of water before. It plumps up your veins and makes it a lot easier overall.

melyndie 01-10-2012 07:57 PM

My midwife only took three vials because there were certain things she doesn't need to test for again since I had them tested with my last pregnancy. I am using a different midwife this time, but she is getting my prenatal records from that pregnancy and using that info (such as blood type). I really appreciate fewer vials/tests since I have to pay OOP for everything!

philenabean 01-10-2012 08:23 PM

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a bill I received for my initial bloodwork. It was over $500 billed to my insurance, and they ran five tests. If I could do it over again, I would have waived as many as I could; mostly because of the cost, but also because of redundancy. They'll let you know which you can waive.

neatostacy 01-10-2012 08:56 PM

Oh, yes, that's something I hadn't even thought of (the cost) but you all are right. I need to keep that in mind since I pay for all labs until my deductible is met. Uggh.

marliah 01-11-2012 08:48 AM

I'm not having any done this time.

RoccerMom 01-11-2012 09:37 AM

I did because I was anemic with ds and once I started an iron supplement I felt so much better. My bill this time after insurance was only $13. I would check with your insurance company to make sure the place that does the blood work is in your network. :) I hate needless and shots but would rather know I was getting what baby needs than avoid the quick needle.

edens_mom 01-11-2012 09:56 AM

I didn't bother asking because needles don't bother me, but I guess i should have. :) The nurse asked me my blood type and I told her and she didn't bother testing for that! Shocker to find a dr's office who actually trusts you! :) I wish I could have told her there's no worry about STDs, either. I found out later that I'm supposed to have labs done at my PCP's lab (ugh) so I am hopeful they excuse my ignorance..