Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In July (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   prefolds as burp cloths (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335382)

luckyducky77 01-10-2012 06:54 PM

prefolds as burp cloths

So I was thinking that I would maybe sew some flannel to cheap prefolds to make cute burp cloths only cheap and prefold don't seem to go together. I did a search on Amazon even with prime shipping, the cheapest I found there was $20 for a dozen. Nicki's has a dozen for $15 but the shipping is $9! Bye bye cheap factor! Free shipping doesn't kick in until $75. I am going to get the smart fit prefolds for the newbie stage but even buying those now won't get me to free shipping. I guess I could just buy the 3 items I plan to get there (a pocket diaper sampler, the 3 dz smartfits, the 1 dz regular indian prefolds for burp cloths). I was surprised that the gerber ones weren't cheaper from the way they're not recommended by most CD mamas. Now I also feel bad for even having a registry on Nicki's because of the high prices. I know most of my family and friends won't buy from there when they see the horrible shipping costs from there. Sigh...maybe i should just buy them there. Are there ever any coupons from there? I also checked the diaper rite prefolds but shipping is high there too. Looked on FSOT but those were all taken already. Craigslist has some but the sellers are adamant about selling the whole lot and not just a part of the sale (not a fan of the other things that come with the lot otherwise I'd bite). Well, lots of time I guess to keep cruising CL. Hard for a woman who prefers to just get things done now. LOL! Any other suggestions for where I can get cheap prefolds without paying high shipping costs? The places with free shipping I know of don't have cheap prefolds. Figures.

SkyeBattest 01-10-2012 07:18 PM

Re: prefolds as burp cloths

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyducky77 (Post 14429193)
So I was thinking that I would maybe sew some flannel to cheap prefolds to make cute burp cloths only cheap and prefold don't seem to go together. I did a search on Amazon even with prime shipping, the cheapest I found there was $20 for a dozen. Nicki's has a dozen for $15 but the shipping is $9! Bye bye cheap factor! Free shipping doesn't kick in until $75. I am going to get the smart fit prefolds for the newbie stage but even buying those now won't get me to free shipping. I guess I could just buy the 3 items I plan to get there (a pocket diaper sampler, the 3 dz smartfits, the 1 dz regular indian prefolds for burp cloths). I was surprised that the gerber ones weren't cheaper from the way they're not recommended by most CD mamas. Now I also feel bad for even having a registry on Nicki's because of the high prices. I know most of my family and friends won't buy from there when they see the horrible shipping costs from there. Sigh...maybe i should just buy them there. Are there ever any coupons from there? I also checked the diaper rite prefolds but shipping is high there too. Looked on FSOT but those were all taken already. Craigslist has some but the sellers are adamant about selling the whole lot and not just a part of the sale (not a fan of the other things that come with the lot otherwise I'd bite). Well, lots of time I guess to keep cruising CL. Hard for a woman who prefers to just get things done now. LOL! Any other suggestions for where I can get cheap prefolds without paying high shipping costs? The places with free shipping I know of don't have cheap prefolds. Figures.

Yeah prefolds do get expensive cause of shipping :( I've noticed also, I already have 2 dozen but would like to have another 12 of the yellow edge ones. Just gonna keep an eye out for another mama who is selling them for a good price.

msmamabear 01-10-2012 07:25 PM

What I have used as burp clothes with my last 2 are rectangles of cheap flannel I got on clearance at Joann's and sewed like 6 layers together. (pretty ones on the outside and uglies on the inside, lol) I think they are like 8 inches wide and 16 inches long so they fit perfectly on the shoulder with lots of coverage. I looked through my photobucket real quick but I didn't have any pictures of them. I made like 24 for about 20 bucks, and I am no seamstress. :D

I actually didn't really like prefolds as burp cloths, they always were the wrong shape, I used them in a pinch but they aren't my fav's. My mom always used them with us though! :giggle:

luckyducky77 01-10-2012 07:30 PM

I think I might do something like that then. The solid color flannel is usually pretty cheap so I could probably just buy a bunch of for the insides. Thanks for the info! I get coupons for them every week so I'll just do that. They're right next to my work so very convenient! Which can be a curse at times too...

imnottelling 01-10-2012 07:36 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but we used Gerber prefolds as burp cloths (just for that, not for diapering, well except for the dolls :)) or even receiving blankets that work well. The bigger the better ;)
All cheap options....

philenabean 01-10-2012 08:25 PM

I used Gerber prefolds for burp cloths. They worked great!

luckyducky77 01-10-2012 09:05 PM

That was my plan but even on amazon a dozen of those isn't that cheap. For some reason seems like a dozen burp rags would be a good amount to have.

luckyducky77 01-10-2012 09:07 PM

Never mind...just looked at babies r us and they have a dozen for $17. Not sure how I forgot to check that website!

msmamabear 01-11-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyducky77
That was my plan but even on amazon a dozen of those isn't that cheap. For some reason seems like a dozen burp rags would be a good amount to have.

One if mine had reflux and we went through a dozen by noon it seemed like. :giggle: On the other hand I have met other babies that rarely spit up so a dozen is probably a good starting point. If you are having a babyshower you will probably recieve some as gifts as well. :)

hbee 01-11-2012 01:46 AM

I use about two dozen and get through most if not all of them in a day and a half.

The dappy ones are my favorite, the didn't quilt up at all and that works for spit.