Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What do I need to do to prepare for natural childbirth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335478)

PinkLemonade7503 01-10-2012 10:18 PM

What do I need to do to prepare for natural childbirth?

Ok Mamas, I have been insanely laid back during my pregnancy and have not done anything to prepare myself. I am usually a major planner and researcher. This is my first, btw.

We have hired a doula. I love her, and feel confident that she knows lots of techniques, comfort meausres etc to get that baby out. So much so, that I decided not to take any birthing classes. (my dh is also traveling a lot right now, so that figured into it, too.)

Sooo.... What else? I do exercise, but need to add in my prenatal Pilates and/ or yoga videos. I have been slacking there. I saw on a thread where someone mentioned spinning babies. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Are there any stretches or exercises you think help to prepare you? I am due in 99 days! It seems to go by so slow, and yet so quickly!

Hillargh 01-10-2012 11:41 PM

Re: What do I need to do to prepare for natural childbirth?

Do you have a birthing/exercise ball? It did WONDERS for me to relieve pressure when baby was super low right before I went into labor. It also helped my hips that popped out of place constantly, but that's another issue.

I'll be completely honest, I didn't exercise at all. Never have. I've always done kegels, and it did tremendously help with the tearing aspect, and with recovery, and getting everything to snap back into place like before.

Since it was my first child, I also had psyched myself out into believing it was going to be so horribly painful, that I didn't realize when I was ready to push (for 3 hours. Yep. Realized it when I felt a head on the way to the hospital and thought, "Oh, that was transition and pushing, I guess that IS the worst it's going to get sans delivery LOL), I thought surely it was going to get worse though. But, I can honestly say that was the worst part of it, and it actually helped me in terms of being mentally prepared for the pain.

Have you read anything by Ina May Gaskin? I felt so much more in tune with my body, and FAR more confident in myself as a woman and child bearer after reading her Guide to Childbirth.

Best of wishes in your labor and delivery! :)

Cleokatrah 01-11-2012 01:46 AM

I am on my first, too, and while i am not going full natural because of sciatic issues, I am learning a lot in my birthing classes. Definitely ditto on the birthing/exercise ball. It takes SO much pressure off your back. If you haven't talked to your doula about breathing techniques and why they are important, I would suggest that.

Br2me 01-11-2012 06:40 AM

i am doing my fist natural childbirth (3rd baby for me though) and have just decided what type of birth method i am using and sticking to it...once i foudn it i was at peace and didn't feel like i was rushing around anymore trying to make this work...i know that it will work and that it will turn out wonderfully!!

umphreysmommy 01-11-2012 07:25 AM

I would say reading natural child birth books would be number one. I have read about 12 and I am 32 weeks right now and hypnobirthing will be my last as we take the class. I sit on the birth ball all day and squat whenever possible, tailor sitting is also good along with kegals. I also think a healthy diet is important so I try to eat tons of fruits and veggies and always be drinking water. Light yoga is nice and not sure how close 99 days is :) but in the end you should try to sit forward and let your belly hang down rather than reclining back as it will help with positioning. Good luck!!

~Cricket~ 01-11-2012 07:28 AM

I love my Erin O'Brien prenatal exercise DVD. Going to go do it in about 5 min.... :)

Read Ina May Gaskin's books. I liked Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.

Getting a doula was a great choice! :)

Have confidence that you can do it. Women have been giving birth for centuries without drugs. You can do it!

All the best!

songbird516 01-11-2012 08:10 AM

I didn't get anything out of the hospital birthing class. I'm glad that we only took the weekend version, that's for sure! I did a ton of research on my own, as well as reading Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and a bunch of midwife blogs like Birth Sense and now Midwife Thinking is one of my favorites, even though she hasn't posted for a while. Birth Without Fear is also a good one.

I think that having a positive mindset and approaching the process as normal until a problem presents itself is key. Just staying healthy in general also helps a bunch, as it helps to avoid a lot of potential pressure to induce or augment labor. It might help to consult a chiropracter who can tell you if you have any major pelvic issues that might impact labor, also.

Basically, educate yourself! You can't know too much, especially if you're approaching labor and birth from the perspective that it's normal and you were made to do it. :)

If you're not drinking RRL tea, I'd start that also. It doesn't induce labor, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that it can help to make it less painful and shorter. Last time I started drinking it around 36 weeks, but this time I've been drinking smaller amounts from around 12 weeks and I'll ramp it up a lot in the next few.

imnottelling 01-11-2012 11:16 AM

I hate to spam but I do have a lot of stuff on my site (training as a CBE, so you're getting my work in progress free as I compile handouts and stuff). Stuff like relaxation techniques, natural pain management, etc. It's not organized in the way I'd present it to a class, but rather in the order I worked on them.

The most important thing to do is BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Once you take away fear and become confident that you can do it, you're halfway there.

ashleyandbaby2010 01-11-2012 01:07 PM

I agree with pp- believe in yourself, your body and your baby. Babies know how to born, my mw believes! :)

You have to know that is what you want and even when it gets really hard remind yourself this is what you want and you CAN do it!

Also, my mw told me and I believe it works, find another word for pain. Any p word. Mine was pleasure. That way when you are describing the sensations of labor your not telling your brain you are in pain. Your body will produce natural endorphins for pain/pleasure management if you stay positive. But if you tell yourself it's pain you are feeling your body will start fighting it off...not good!

Go with the flow of your contractions - and use an exercise ball! :)

umphreysmommy 01-11-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnottelling
I hate to spam but I do have a lot of stuff on my site (training as a CBE, so you're getting my work in progress free as I compile handouts and stuff). Stuff like relaxation techniques, natural pain management, etc. It's not organized in the way I'd present it to a class, but rather in the order I worked on them.

The most important thing to do is BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. Once you take away fear and become confident that you can do it, you're halfway there.

Can you link your site? I would love to take a look