Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Sensory processing disorder (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335672)

teachermommy35 01-11-2012 10:48 AM

Sensory processing disorder
 
Looking for information on spd. So if anyone has links or book suggestions that would be great. My 2 1/2 year old ds was just evaluated and they are thinking that he has spd. Any help is appriciated.

Kelly3139 01-11-2012 11:00 AM

Re: Sensory processing disorder
 
I work for a developmental optometrist in LA who specializes in SPD treatment. I highly recommend that you search out a developmental optometrist in your area and establish a relationship. Make sure that you find a developmental optometrist, not an opthamologist or regular optometrist, there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in knowledge. Proper vision development plays a giant role in how our children perceive their world.

teachermommy35 01-11-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly3139
I work for a developmental optometrist in LA who specializes in SPD treatment. I highly recommend that you search out a developmental optometrist in your area and establish a relationship. Make sure that you find a developmental optometrist, not an opthamologist or regular optometrist, there is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in knowledge. Proper vision development plays a giant role in how our children perceive their world.

Thanks

jessiesmom 01-11-2012 12:30 PM

Re: Sensory processing disorder
 
My daughter was diagnosed in the fall time. I'm not an expert but have done some research. She is now getting Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy. It hasn't really started to help her much but she's only been getting it about a month. I also have an appointment to talk with our dr about it next week. She wanted to see how therapy was going before meeting and discussing further. You do need a dr who is willing to support you.

Here are some links the therapists gave me
http://www.sensorysmarts.com/signs_of_spd.html
http://www.sensory-processing-disord...ctivities.html
http://www.spdfoundation.net/spdfoun...ate=New%20York

Here is a forum I found
http://spdsupport.org/forum/index.php

There is also a yahoo group I don't have the exact name of that now but I can get back to you with it. I did a google search for SPD Sensory Processing Disorder and Sensory Integration. I've also checked out books from my library and interlibrary loaned some and they have helped.

Hope this gives you some starting points...each child is different so what works for one may not work for yours.

teachermommy35 01-11-2012 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jessiesmom
My daughter was diagnosed in the fall time. I'm not an expert but have done some research. She is now getting Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy. It hasn't really started to help her much but she's only been getting it about a month. I also have an appointment to talk with our dr about it next week. She wanted to see how therapy was going before meeting and discussing further. You do need a dr who is willing to support you.

Here are some links the therapists gave me
http://www.sensorysmarts.com/signs_of_spd.html
http://www.sensory-processing-disord...ctivities.html
http://www.spdfoundation.net/spdfoun...ate=New%20York

Here is a forum I found
http://spdsupport.org/forum/index.php

There is also a yahoo group I don't have the exact name of that now but I can get back to you with it. I did a google search for SPD Sensory Processing Disorder and Sensory Integration. I've also checked out books from my library and interlibrary loaned some and they have helped.

Hope this gives you some starting points...each child is different so what works for one may not work for yours.

Thanks. Anything helps!!!

imnottelling 01-11-2012 07:34 PM

Re: Sensory processing disorder
 
My friend has a site: sensoryandmore.com with her personal experiences and findings with her kids. I have gained quite a few insights into my own children's sensory issues by reading hers.

walking-iris 01-12-2012 07:21 PM

Re: Sensory processing disorder
 
The Out of Sync Child
The Out of Sync Child Has Fun

Two life saving books for us.

I also like to get the Abilitations catalog. The stuff is pricey but there are a ton of great ideas that can be gleaned from it.

And if you are on Pinterest search for PediaStaff. The stuff they pin is really helpful and fun.

Definitely look into occupational therapy at least twice a week with an OT who has extensive experience in sensory issues.

teachermommy35 01-12-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking-iris
The Out of Sync Child
The Out of Sync Child Has Fun

Two life saving books for us.

I also like to get the Abilitations catalog. The stuff is pricey but there are a ton of great ideas that can be gleaned from it.

And if you are on Pinterest search for PediaStaff. The stuff they pin is really helpful and fun.

Definitely look into occupational therapy at least twice a week with an OT who has extensive experience in sensory issues.

Thanks! I am going to get that book. Several people have mentioned that book to me. We have an ot starting sessions with him next week.

basMama 01-12-2012 08:41 PM

Re: Sensory processing disorder
 
My son was diagnosed with SPD. I don't have any book reccomendations other than Out of Sync child, but I can tell you that it gets better. My son has been recieving services for over a year and i am amazed at how much he progressed. It use to be very difficult because he would vomit all day long because that was how he coped with different smells and textures, but now you would not even know he struggles with it. From my experince, it has been very difficult, its so funny how everyday routines such as hand washing and brusing teeth parents take for granted. I was so happy the day my son finally got over his fear of soap. He is five now, good luck Mama and sorry for the long post.

walking-iris 01-13-2012 10:13 AM

Re: Sensory processing disorder
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by basMama (Post 14443604)
My son was diagnosed with SPD. I don't have any book reccomendations other than Out of Sync child, but I can tell you that it gets better. My son has been recieving services for over a year and i am amazed at how much he progressed. It use to be very difficult because he would vomit all day long because that was how he coped with different smells and textures, but now you would not even know he struggles with it. From my experince, it has been very difficult, its so funny how everyday routines such as hand washing and brusing teeth parents take for granted. I was so happy the day my son finally got over his fear of soap. He is five now, good luck Mama and sorry for the long post.

the throwing up---oh man. I have a very food aversive kid and he will gag and make himself throw up if he is asked to eat anything other than his limited food choices. He also throws up when he's sick even though it's just a cold---the scratchy throat feeling or snot (tmi) will make him throw up. He would get dehydrated when he was little and we had to keep a prescription of anti nausea suppositories. Those days are past, but we still occasionally get the throwing up because of anxiety or oral sensitivity.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors