Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Did anyone have Medicaid and do Homebirth? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335889)

MyKzooFamily 01-11-2012 05:31 PM

Did anyone have Medicaid and do Homebirth?

I have Medicaid (the free state insurance for pregnant moms), and I REALLY want a homebirth. I had a home birth with #3 (I have DS, and two surro-daughters), and I LOVED it. I did wish I had pain meds, but it was WELL worth not having to put up with everything else I hate about the hospital (and there's a LOT)!

I am sure they can't force me to do a hospital birth, but I'm nervous about them denying my coverage or not covering stuff because of it. I don't see why they would do that, considering I would save them $4-$15K by not doing a hospital birth. Just wondering if anyone did it, and if they had any problems with it. :)

Leah52 01-11-2012 05:34 PM

Re: Did anyone have Medicaid and do Homebirth?

I had it last year and had a homebirth but they did not cover it. They would cover things like labs and ultrasounds but not the actual midwife's fee so we paid that out of pocket. I think it varies by state whether they will cover it or not.

Incubus527 01-11-2012 05:35 PM

I had a homebirth with my dd. I saw an OB until 20 weeks than transferred to a MW. We had to pay out of pocket for the mw though.

bluemoonbutterfly 01-11-2012 05:38 PM

There are some states that medicaid will pay for a midwife, but not that many.

trying4more 01-11-2012 05:44 PM

I know California won't pay for a home birth. They will pay for a free standing birth center though!

crunch!910 01-11-2012 05:57 PM

We had first sought care from a midwife for this pregnancy. We were planning on either birth center/home birth, but likely a birth center birth. Due to insurance (medicaid) refusing to pay for out of hospital births, we just couldn't swing it. :( If we had that much money floating around, we wouldn't need assistance. I was very, very, very disappointed. :( I'm still not thrilled and all this planning and preparing I'm having to do to fight off nurses is ridiculous. DH has jokingly suggested we just go unassisted at home in the very end, hehe. I've done the best I can do and found VBAC encouraging Dr who oversees 4 "medwives" who are mostly birth friendly, but also have their rules they have to follow, and chosen a hospital that has labor tubs, balls, stools, bars, etc that the medwives highly recommended and reassured me that if I stand up for myself, they won't press things.

songbird516 01-11-2012 05:59 PM

I'm in Virginia and have medicaid just for the pregnancy but it's not doing me a whole lot of good, because they will not cover CPMs, and there are no CNMs that can do homebirths because they have to work with an OB, which just doesn't happen around here. Apparently Medicaid used to cover 60% of a homebirth, but just changed their policy last year, and now they only cover services that are referred and performed by "medical" providers. he CPM license doesn't count since it's not a nursing one. Believe me, I had this argument with them, and they don't care that it's saving them money; it's a policy thing. I even tried to fight it, but got like 3 letters saying that my appeal was denied.

I'm not happy about it, since both midwives I talked to said that at least half would be covered. My midwife is discounting her services because of all of this trouble, but it's still a lot more money out of my pocket than I wanted to pay, and kind of defeats the purpose of having medicaid in the first place. So far the only thing that they have paid for is the initial labs and my one ultrasound.

imnottelling 01-11-2012 06:58 PM

Very dependent on state, and the anti-HB culture rampant makes it extremely hard to imagine it will get better any time soon. :(

MyKzooFamily 01-11-2012 06:58 PM

Yeah, I was counting on paying her for a home birth, I'm pretty sure they don't cover that here. Luckily I don't think it should be too expensive, as a full prenatal care and delivery package is only $1400-$1600 total. So hopefully it won't be too much. I'll have to see if she would even take me, as I'm already almost 31 weeks. But since I just saw her last April for my last birth :blush: I don't think it should be a problem.

I thought maybe I should just deal with the hospital stuff I hate.. but UGH. It will drive me nuts and ruin the experience. I HATE the way I get treated there. I don't need my vaginal area checked every 2 hours. It's bleeding and swollen, just like it should be. The baby doesn't need to be checked every 2 hours. I know how to change diapers, feed them, and if she stops breathing I'll let you know. I CAN sleep with my baby, I won't drop or kill her. No, I can't get any sleep on these darn hospital beds. No, I don't want you to do blood tests that make her scream, especially when you are horrible at drawing blood and have to squeeze her foot until it's blue for like 30 minutes. No, I will not let her sleep in the bin, she should be close to me, as she was before I delivered her. Quit asking me how breastfeeding is going, and asking the LC to check in. No, I will not give you a time sheet with my bathroom breaks and shower schedule. No, I don't need a 2 hour discharge summary of how to take care of a baby.

UGH.. just so much. :(

mama23boyz 01-11-2012 10:37 PM

Here Medicaid will pay for a homebirth, but there are around $500-600 uncovered expenses. There are a couple midwives that don't take it, though. Just call around. Like you, the way I look at it I am saving the state ALOT of $$. They paid for my birthing center birth, but I still had a little OOP cost.

I was planning on having a hb midwife this time, but the closest one that does takes medicaid can't take me. She's two hours away and her assistant and I have the same dd. There's a good chance she wouldn't make it anyway.