Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Comfort nursing? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335977)

CurtsBabyMama 01-11-2012 09:54 PM

Comfort nursing?

DD is 4 weeks old and all day today she has been fussy. Which is very unusual for her, normally she only fusses when shes hungry but today shes been nursing her usual amount of time before falling asleep then she sleeps for maybe 10mins and starts back crying again. So I've had her attached to me pretty much all day as the only thing that seems to help is for her to nurse. Her cry after a feeding isn't a hunger cry though it seems to be more of a pain cry but then sometimes she'll be calm and start to close her eyes and then start back crying again as if shes fighting sleep. I've been trying so hard not to give her a paci but I gave in a few times today and it kept her calm long enough to get some things done but then I'd take it back. I'm not sure if theres something wrong with her...like a bellyache or if shes just comfort nursing. My friend suggested a growth spurt but I have no idea. I feel like its gonna be a long night...:cry:

mamaspice 01-11-2012 09:59 PM

Hang in there! It remember days like that, but it did pass after a day or two. Trust her to know how much she needs to nurse. If you can, just relax and enjoy the time with her. Some people find a sling to be helpful for hands free nursing.

ETA: I think that 4 weeks is a pretty normal time for a growth spurt. Check kellymom.com for more on that!

tibeca 01-11-2012 10:01 PM

Re: Comfort nursing?

Sounds like the 4 week growth spurt. Even though it may seem like she isn't "hungry" the non nutritive sucking will increase your supply.

BunnyMcFluff 01-11-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tibeca (Post 14436699)
Sounds like the 4 week growth spurt. Even though it may seem like she isn't "hungry" the non nutritive sucking will increase your supply.

Ditto this!

CurtsBabyMama 01-11-2012 10:15 PM

Thanks mamas, she'll be 5 weeks old Friday. I have a sling but I think shes to small to go in it, shes only 6lbs 2oz. How do I know its not a supply issue?

Connor 01-11-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtsBabyMama
Thanks mamas, she'll be 5 weeks old Friday. I have a sling but I think shes to small to go in it, shes only 6lbs 2oz. How do I know its not a supply issue?

As long as she's having plenty of wet and poopy diapers you're good. If it's coming out, you can be sure it's going in. :)

CurtsBabyMama 01-13-2012 10:16 PM

Thanks! Shes back to her normal self again!

Connor 01-13-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CurtsBabyMama
Thanks! Shes back to her normal self again!

Good to hear :)