Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   HELLP Syndrome (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1335978)

shelookslikeamom 01-11-2012 08:55 PM

HELLP Syndrome

Wondering if anyone else here delivered early due to HELLP Syndrome? It stands for "Hemolysis, Elevated Liver enzymes, and Low Platelets." My doctor said it was two steps above pre-eclampsia.

I have had type 1 diabetes for a majority of my life, and the docs think that's why HELLP manifested with my first pregnancy (DD delivered at 33 weeks). I'm 16 weeks pregnant with my second child now, and I really hope this one can bake a little longer!

Yellow Jewel 01-12-2012 02:03 PM

Re: HELLP Syndrome

It happened to me with my 1st (born 33 wks). I did go a bit longer with my 2nd but had pre-eclempsia and baby stopped growing at 33 wks (born at 35). My 3rd I made it to 37 wks and began showing signs of pre-eclempsia.
They say you are more prone to it and they watch it during your next pregnancies. I'm not diabetic, but it seems I develop high BP when pregnant.
Take it easy when you can and drink water.

Good luck to you!

shelookslikeamom 01-12-2012 07:17 PM

Yeah, the docs are seeing me every two weeks (when I asked early on in the pregnancy if they'd always see me this often, the doc replied, "No, we'll see you on a weekly basis further into the pregnancy." I guess that answered my question, lol!) and I was told to take a baby aspirin every day to try to prevent the high bp. The crazy thing is that my blood pressure is lower in pregnancy than it usually is. I'm usually 110/70, but while pregnant (this time and last time) it's been 90/60. So for me to have developed a problem relating to high blood pressure just has me scratching my head.

In any case, I do need to drink more water like you said. Thanks for the reminder. ^_^

Yellow Jewel 01-13-2012 09:16 AM

Yes, the increase visits to the doctor tend to get annoying. I do like getting to do so many BPP (ultrasounds) and the non-stress test. More pics of our babies and getting to be made to relax and read a book or magazine.
Those were the only positives I found to going so frequently!

napua 01-14-2012 10:04 AM

I developed HELLP Syndrome with my first child and had to deliver at 28 weeks. It was rough to say the least!

Five years later I delivered my son and made it to almost 34 weeks before severe pre-e set in and they had to take him.

Best of luck!

jamiejo 01-15-2012 07:01 AM

I developed severe pre-e and HELLP with my son, they took him emergency c-section at 31 weeks. he is 6 1/2 now and doing very well aside from some food allergies. My daughter was born full term, 3 days before her due date a drug free VBAC.
My BP did go up near the end, but it didnt go into full blown pre-e this time. My BP remained high (135/90 ish) for a few weeks, but I knew how to handle it at home and it wasn't so severe I felt it warranted meds so I didnt mention it to my doc. By my 6 week checkup it was normal. At its worse with my first it was 199/150. It's a really scary thing to go through.
My new doc with my daughter watched me more closely, he did 24hour urine catches and extra lab work. One day I swelled after working and they let me come in to get checked out.
There is a link to my VBAC in my siggy, and a link to my sons story is in my daughters story if anyone wants to read them. Even 6 1/2 years later i still think through all the trauma. It's part of dealing with it I think. As a mom you feel like the day your child was born should be the happiest day of your life, but when somthing like that happens and your child is taken while you have to be put under..... it was less than happy. I'm subbing to this thread, it is ALWAYS nice to meet another HELLP mom, let alone several on one board. :bighug:

shelookslikeamom 01-15-2012 07:27 PM

Yes, it's very nice to meet you all, too. :-) Putting your birth story in your signature line is a good idea! Here's the link to mine: http://shelookslikeamom.blogspot.com...h-of-ms-r.html

b bright 01-15-2012 11:07 PM

I wasn't diagnosed with HELLP but I really think that I had it. I was with a military OB at a Naval Hospital and for some reason they didn't do a urinary analysis at every appointment. Its just their policy that they don't do it unless they think there is a reason. I had twins and was complaining of horrible swelling all over my body and extreme pain that never went away in my upper right stomach area along with borderline high BP. I was always around 140/90. I was told that it was "just normal pregnancy pains" and nothing to worry about. I knew the only way you can diagnose is through a UA and I asked several times if she thought I should do one. She kept saying that it wasn't necessary and would send me home. Finally, I pretty much begged her to let me do one. I went home with a 24 hr urine test. If you aren't familiar, you have to pee in a little pee catcher thing and then pour it into a huge jug. Then you have to store it in a fridge or ice chest or something for 24 hours. I took it back to the hospital on a friday and the doctor got the results on a monday. She told me to come in right away because my proteins were elevated extremely high. Like, they thought I messed up the test or "cheated" or something because the levels were so high. I was diagnosed with severe pre-e and sent to a hospital with a level 3 nicu. I was 34 weeks and was going to be kept on bedrest as long as I could. I delivered by emergency c-sec the next morning because I stopped outputting urine.

So anyways, like I said, I was never diagnosed with it, but I could totally see how it could have been missed since my doctors weren't really on top of my care....

jamiejo 01-16-2012 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b bright (Post 14461978)
I wasn't diagnosed with HELLP but I really think that I had it. I was with a military OB at a Naval Hospital and for some reason they didn't do a urinary analysis at every appointment. Its just their policy that they don't do it unless they think there is a reason. I had twins and was complaining of horrible swelling all over my body and extreme pain that never went away in my upper right stomach area along with borderline high BP. I was always around 140/90. I was told that it was "just normal pregnancy pains" and nothing to worry about. I knew the only way you can diagnose is through a UA and I asked several times if she thought I should do one. She kept saying that it wasn't necessary and would send me home. Finally, I pretty much begged her to let me do one. I went home with a 24 hr urine test. If you aren't familiar, you have to pee in a little pee catcher thing and then pour it into a huge jug. Then you have to store it in a fridge or ice chest or something for 24 hours. I took it back to the hospital on a friday and the doctor got the results on a monday. She told me to come in right away because my proteins were elevated extremely high. Like, they thought I messed up the test or "cheated" or something because the levels were so high. I was diagnosed with severe pre-e and sent to a hospital with a level 3 nicu. I was 34 weeks and was going to be kept on bedrest as long as I could. I delivered by emergency c-sec the next morning because I stopped outputting urine.

So anyways, like I said, I was never diagnosed with it, but I could totally see how it could have been missed since my doctors weren't really on top of my care....

To the bolded... this sounds like what I went through. For 3 weeks I called in almost daily and usually after hourse, because my worst pain and nausea always followed dinner.... My doc one night literally told me to take a tylenol and sleep on a heating pad :yuck: When I informed him that tylenol wouldnt stay down, he just told me to try again without any water. Not once in 3 weeks did he say, "come in and we'll check you out" the day before my son was born he told me to go to my family doctor to see why I was still throwing up after 3 weeks. My family doc took one look at me, said "why arent you at your OB's?" "he told me to come here" He immediately ran lab work. My urine was brown... I've never seen that color anywhere else. I knew something was way off. My protein count was sky-high and my BP was up there too. i was sent to my OB who put me on bedrest and told me to come back in on Monday (this was a thursday) Friday happened and my BP was climbing higher, despite the water, dark room and bedrest. I was in excruciating pain. My mom and DH finally put their foot down and took me to the hospital. This was at noon. Csection was done at 6 that evening.

what made me so angry a couple of years later looking back, despite the ignoramous attitude of my OB, was that in those 3 weeks when I kept calling, I told him where I was hurting, behind my right shoulder. UPPER RIGHT QUADRANT. I had no idea why I hurt there. I had never heard of HELLP syndrome and pre-e was a vague memory. When I got my hospital records, in my chart in his hand-writing it says "patient had not complained of upper right quadrant pain" BULL****
I've learned since that the same doc has had other patients with the same problem, and he's treated them similarly. He does not need to be in practice any longer. If you want a doc to come and catch and let you do anything else you want, he's your man. If you have a real complication tho..... it very nearly cost us our lives.

shelookslikeamom 01-16-2012 02:38 PM

Oh good gosh, I'm so sorry you two. Very happy you got a better doc the second time around, Jamie. I guess I'm lucky with my diabetes to have been closely monitored by high-risk doctors in the first place; they are less likely to ignore complaints.