Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Diaper Sores! HELP!!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336231)

ngabriel 01-12-2012 12:05 PM

Diaper Sores! HELP!!!

I just can't seem to shake these diaper sores my son keep getting from the cloth!! I have tried everything!! :banghead: ointment, powders, nothing, stripping diapers, liners, ugh! Nothing is working except putting him in sposies for a while, then back in cloth. Then after a week or two sores return. I just don't know what to do!

boysniris 01-12-2012 12:08 PM

Re: Diaper Sores! HELP!!!

What kind of cloth diapers are you using? Are they open sores?

the_oz_girl 01-12-2012 12:34 PM

It sounds like there's something in your diapers that isn't coming out. There may also be a skin sensitivity involved.
How often are you changing the cloth?
What diapers/fabrics are you using?
What ointments? What powders?
What detergent do you use?
What is your normal routine for washing, from storing the used ones to drying the clean ones?
At any point do the diapers smell? What about dry, just been peed in, been peed in a while ago, been stored a while, just any time? If they do, what do they smell like?
What do you mean by 'stripping' your diapers? Everyone has a different idea of what that means.
What do the sores/rash look like? What happens before they show up?

mibarra 01-12-2012 01:46 PM

I had the same problem, battled it for weeks. Thought it might be chafing because it almost looked blister like. It was a staph infection. Just a thought. :)

ngabriel 01-12-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boysniris (Post 14439618)
What kind of cloth diapers are you using? Are they open sores?

I am using Sunbaby onesize, yes, they are small open sores.

ngabriel 01-12-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_oz_girl (Post 14439840)
It sounds like there's something in your diapers that isn't coming out. There may also be a skin sensitivity involved.
How often are you changing the cloth? whenever he is wet usually, maybe every 3 hours or so..

What diapers/fabrics are you using? these are sunbaby one size, with the inserts.

What ointments? What powders? I've tried ALLLl the common ointments, and powders.. usually I use nothing, but I've tried these to solve the problem and none of the usual ones worked.. way too many to list.

What detergent do you use? no detergent really, just dawn and sometimes borax and baking soda.

What is your normal routine for washing, from storing the used ones to drying the clean ones?they are stored in a basket, and washed one cold wash and one hot wash with dawn ,then dried in the dryer.

At any point do the diapers smell? What about dry, just been peed in, been peed in a while ago, been stored a while, just any time? If they do, what do they smell like? YES! When he is good and wet, like the first diaper of the morning, they can REALLY wreak of ammonia smell! .. I have often wondered how to deal with that!
What do you mean by 'stripping' your diapers? Everyone has a different idea of what that means. I've stripped with several hot water washes until no suds, sometimes I've used vinigar, and or baking soda.
What do the sores/rash look like? What happens before they show up?

usually I notice them after he poops, and the poop has been on his skin. They are small raw sores. no skin on top of them.

boysniris 01-12-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ngabriel (Post 14441009)
I am using Sunbaby onesize, yes, they are small open sores.

My DS had a couple sores once. I tried to give him bum as much air as possible, and when he wore a diaper I put antibiotic ointment on the sores to prevent them from getting infected.

Eventually we had to stop using PUL diapers b/c he was getting too rashy in them. Once you get the sores healed up, maybe try some diapers that don't have PUL on them. Wool and fleece are more breathable alternatives for LOs that have sensitive skin :)

ngabriel 01-12-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mibarra (Post 14440438)
I had the same problem, battled it for weeks. Thought it might be chafing because it almost looked blister like. It was a staph infection. Just a thought. :)

Really??? Can you tell me more? Maybe we are battling something like that?

mibarra 01-12-2012 03:45 PM

It began as small red bumps and a rashy looking area. I thought diaper rash, no big deal, switched to sposies for 2 days and used Bordeux's butt paste, which works like magic on DD1. Gone. But it kept coming back. Then it got worse. It developed into a red area, with these blister/whitehead pimple almost looking things. Then they opened up and looked like open sores, and got scabby. I changed wash routine, stripped diapers, tried a tighter fit (thought chafing maybe???), finally I texted a picture to my doctor. She said looks like staph, try putting neosporin on it once a day (or twice, I don't remember) for 5-7 days, and if no improvement we'll get something stronger. After 1 day of Neosporin it looked less red and angry, but three it was healed over scabs and no redness, but 7 is was basically gone. :)

DottieHarley 01-12-2012 06:40 PM

Mibarra, did you use the neosporin in cloth or sposies? DD has a rasg that the drdiagnosed as yeast and it came back, only now it looks more like big pimples with white heads. A few of them have lost the heads and areopen. When we originally treated the yeast with athletes foot creme she didnt mind,but now she shrieks :-(. DH hates sposies and will complain to no end if weare looking at another week of them to treat this!