Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   My sweet little baby....will claw your eyes out. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336481)

*Kai&Mommy* 01-12-2012 06:58 PM

My sweet little baby....will claw your eyes out.

Okay,my almost 11 month old Son will not stop clawing faces.
He had clawed my face to the point I started to bleed one day. I'm seriously afraid he will blind me or someone else....im just trying to understand why he does it...or more importantly how to correct it. I keep his nails trimed(but those lil things are Sharp) I firmly say "no mommy does not like you doing that it hurts" I just don't know what to do...sometimes he hits also when doing this. Has anyone else had experience with this? Has your baby done this on a daily basis? Is this normal? He will do it once you will jerk back a lil & he will put his hand back & wait like a lil snake for the right time to get you again as fast as he can LOL. Is he curious? Does he just not like people in his face?

BrandNewMama 01-12-2012 09:25 PM

Re: My sweet little baby....will claw your eyes out.

I knew a mom with a similar issue and she would tell him in a serious voice "no, do not do that" and if he did it anyways she pinched him. It took several times of this routine but he finally stopped because he didn't like getting pinched!

mibarra 01-12-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandNewMama
I knew a mom with a similar issue and she would tell him in a serious voice "no, do not do that" and if he did it anyways she pinched him. It took several times of this routine but he finally stopped because he didn't like getting pinched!

These type of approaches make me nervous. I worry when parents can't find a solution other than physical retaliation. My LOs both did this. They are exploring. They don't yet have the ability to take anothers point of view (if they are having fun then everyone is). Continue with what you are doing. I would often put them down for a few minutes if it continued. And distraction is your friend! Remember your child is still a baby! It will take time!

TheGreenBee 01-13-2012 12:23 AM

I generally would startle them when they do it. Usually a loud firm "OUCH" followed by a stern NO worked well and I'm not above a moderate slap on the top of the hand.

That said that kind of facial exploration is normal and typical of babies at this age.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum

doodah 01-13-2012 11:57 AM

I would not be pinching back and such, not appropriate as far as I am concerned. I would tell him NO! in stern serious voice/face and then put him down and walk away. He gets no attention whatsoever for bad behavior. I believe 11 months is old enough for a basic recognition of cause and effect. I do home daycare and have worked with a lot of youngsters (plus my three kids) and this basic plan does work. My 8 month old started biting (just me, not anyone else) and as hard as it is to say no to her, this is working quickly. Sometimes they cry either from the surprise of the NO HIT! or because they are being put down and ignored but I still feel that it is an age appropriate response to bad behavior. I of course still watch them but do ignore for a few minutes, then we try again with whatever we were previously doing.

MDever 01-13-2012 12:02 PM

Poppy does this! Your post really made me giggle:chuckle: When that sort of behavior starts they really gauge your reaction. Any reaction on your part could be found entertaining by little people. Just gently place him on the floor and walk away.

JenniferLovesEmily 01-13-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah
I would not be pinching back and such, not appropriate as far as I am concerned. I would tell him NO! in stern serious voice/face and then put him down and walk away. He gets no attention whatsoever for bad behavior. I believe 11 months is old enough for a basic recognition of cause and effect. Sometimes they cry either from the surprise of the NO! or because they are being put down and ignored but I still feel that it is an age appropriate response to bad behavior. I of course still watch them but do ignore for a few minutes, then we try again with whatever we were previously doing.

This is exactly what I was going to say!!

Sent from DS Forum..... probably while nursing.... please interpret accordingly

Joyful Tie Dyes 01-13-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandNewMama (Post 14443856)

I don't believe you teach a child not to hurt others by hurting THEM.

Several babies I have kept did this. I said OUCH! No HURTING in a stern voice and then put them down and walked away. It worked pretty quickly.

my2sweets 01-13-2012 12:15 PM

I use to tell the girls 'OUCH! That hurts!', put them down, and then walk away. More then 2-3words and you've lost a toddler, much less an infant. And I still dont understand how hurting a baby/toddler when they hurt you is suppose to teach them anything? All a young one understands is that mama hurt them. He maybe exploring-which is normal like pp said-or he may just be doing it to get a reaction. Pick out a couple words(try to avoid 'no' and more of a reason as to why not. Then walk away. If you cant walk away/put him down, turn him to face the oposite way or I have had success with holding little hands firmly, made them 'pet' me while sweetly saying 'oh soft touches' repeatedly and slowly loosen my hold. They usually would continue to pet me after I stopped and I would keep right on smiling and saying 'so soft' 'soft touches' 'feels nice' or whatever giving them a postive reaction.

melyndie 01-13-2012 02:48 PM

In addition to the advice pp are giving you, have you thought of a nursing necklace for you to wear that you could redirect your baby's hand to?

Sometimes I've also held my DD's hand (if she'll go for that), or I've wrapped her in a blanket to keep her arms away from me and for her to feel more cuddled.