Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Green Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Lice!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1336888)

gauchainla 01-13-2012 02:53 PM

Lice!!

Has anyone tried vinegar to treat head lice? My 2.5 y.o and 13 yo both have it. Chances are I do too...

Any other green recipes other than pulling out individually?

Also other than wash sheets/ towels on hot and dry on high anything else I should do?

Thank you! Freaking out!

b bright 01-13-2012 06:54 PM

Your best bet is to pick them out individually. Good luck trying to find information on this though. I was just discussing this in the "vent over" thread with another person. We both came up with completely different information. For instance, I read that inanimate objects like bedding, hats, brushes and all that shouldn't even be bothered with cleaning because if a lice falls off a head then it is going to go looking for a host and will most likely die within the first day because of no food and water loss. But she found information that said to wash all things that can be washed and to tie up stuffed animals and such for 14 days because some live and nits can become dormant. We both have different information and believe different things but both of our information has worked for us.

I personally used olive oil and a nit comb and just brushed her hair for an hour or so every night for a few days in a row. We got less and less each night and finally came up clear of bugs. About a week later I started again and caught the newly hatched ones. we must have got all of those too or the lice didn't like the olive oil because they left. I washed her pillows and sheets but that was it. It was time for a wash anyways though. Lol. We didn't bag up toys or anything. But others will recommend doing all of that. Maybe it's quicker to get rid of the lice but either way picking them with a nit comb is going to help you get most of them gone the quickest.

tiffybugg 01-13-2012 10:15 PM

We just had lice a couple months ago! We covered their heads in olive oil, put on a shower cap and left it on over night. It kills the hatched ones. Then comb comb comb everyday with a metal lice comb as the plastic ones do not work. Any nits left will hatch within 10 days so on day 10 we olive oiled them up again and that was the end of it. We washed all bedding and bagged any toys on their beds. Washed anything worn within the last 48 hours. I did vacuum the floors and couches but I don't really think its necessary. The lice don't like to leave their heads. You could also use mayonnaise if you don't have olive oil. Anything oily smothers them. Good luck!

b bright 01-13-2012 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiffybugg
We just had lice a couple months ago! We covered their heads in olive oil, put on a shower cap and left it on over night. It kills the hatched ones. Then comb comb comb everyday with a metal lice comb as the plastic ones do not work. Any nits left will hatch within 10 days so on day 10 we olive oiled them up again and that was the end of it. We washed all bedding and bagged any toys on their beds. Washed anything worn within the last 48 hours. I did vacuum the floors and couches but I don't really think its necessary. The lice don't like to leave their heads. You could also use mayonnaise if you don't have olive oil. Anything oily smothers them. Good luck!

When I olive oiled my daughters head I told hubby to bathe her afterward. I assumed he washed her hair but he didn't. I didn't realize it. I thought he just didn't wash it well. Anywho, she ended up with O.O. In her hair for like 3 days. Lol. I think it helped a lot to get rid of them. It's funny though, I don't like the metal combs. My daughter says they hurt her hair and plastic ones work okay for us.

thrifty72 01-13-2012 11:29 PM

Re: Lice!!

I recommend Licefreee! (Yes, with 3 Es) It is found at Walmart or Walgreens and not too badly priced. It is absolutely pesticide-free and non-toxic. It can be used repeatedly or even as a precaution when lice is going around school. It is is a concentrated salt solution that works by dehydrating the lice. It kills live adult lice and nits!! Then of course, comb, comb, comb. A metal comb/pic comes with the shampoo and spray.

I washed bedding for a couple of days in a row. I know my girls got it from playing on bedding in a cousin's tent while camping. We didn't find out until after that this cousin had a bad case of lice. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

ETA: Also, when combing their hair out, have a clear or white bowl of water beside you and rinse the comb after every stroke or two of the comb. You will be able to see the progress you are making by looking in the bowl.

b bright 01-13-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrifty72
I recommend Licefreee! (Yes, with 3 Es) It is found at Walmart or Walgreens and not too badly priced. It is absolutely pesticide-free and non-toxic. It can be used repeatedly or even as a precaution when lice is going around school. It is is a concentrated salt solution that works by dehydrating the lice. It kills live adult lice and nits!! Then of course, comb, comb, comb. A metal comb/pic comes with the shampoo and spray.

I washed bedding for a couple of days in a row. I know my girls got it from playing on bedding in a cousin's tent while camping. We didn't find out until after that this cousin had a bad case of lice. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

ETA: Also, when combing their hair out, have a clear or white bowl of water beside you and rinse the comb after every stroke or two of the comb. You will be able to see the progress you are making by looking in the bowl.

Mix a little alcohol in that bowl of water and it will kill them most instantly! Regular water and they can hold their breath....it's why a shower won't kill them. Lol.

Oh and I use a toothpick to help pick out the stuck ones in the teeth of the comb. I use wooden ones but I just now got the bright idea to use a plastic one to keep it from getting soggy...lol. Duh

gauchainla 01-14-2012 08:33 AM

Thank you! All great ideas!

Christylkeller 01-14-2012 07:28 PM

I don't know how green this is, but when we had lice a couple of years ago, this is what we did...

I made a mayo, white vinegar, tea tree oil mixture and saturated all of our heads. Wrapped in a plastic bag (shower cap would work, but I used what I had on hand) for 2 hours. Then we washed our hair with BLUE Dawn. Next, we slathered our heads with coconut Suave conditioner (wonder if coconut oil would have worked. They are repelled by coconut) and combed out the hair (with conditioner on hair). Then we washed our hair with maximum strength Denerex (it has salicylic acid), left that on for 5 mins and then applied the coconut conditioner again and rinsed as directed. I also washed all of our bedding on our sanitary cycle and put the pillows in the dryer on HIGH heat for an hour. Mixed a solution of tea tree oil and water and sprayed the beds, furniture and upholstery in the car with it. We did the shampoo/conditioner routine daily along with combing for about 2 weeks and I sprayed the pillows, beds and furniture daily (the car I sprayed after we rode in it during that 2 weeks). It was probably over kill, but after the first treatment I NEVER saw another bug or nit again and I wanted to make sure they didn't pop up again! I was determined to NOT get a pesticide!

Good luck momma!

Oh, also my mom used this product when she was a teacher and she NEVER got lice when there was an outbreak... http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com

Simplemamma 04-18-2013 10:44 PM

DD2 had an exposure to lice and I've been feeling creepy crawly. I massaged coconut oil with essentials of rosemary, lemon, eucalyptus, lavender on their heads and left it all day. Bathed them tonight and conditioned with a tea tree conditioner. Shall I wash all bedding and keep treating them with the oils, or wait a few days and keep checking heads for the next 10 days?

agl 04-19-2013 08:37 PM

Tea tree oil behind the ears for prevention, once the lice is gone!