Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Give me good stories about vaccinations (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1338594)

chandni3 01-17-2012 08:10 AM

Give me good stories about vaccinations

I want to vaccinate my baby but I'm so scared with all the horror stories out there. Is my baby really going to react and die or become mentally challenged or get ADD if I vaccinate?

wildsissy 01-17-2012 08:14 AM

Re: Give me good stories about vaccinations

My son was never fully vaxed because he had a birth injury that certain vaxes (pertussis specifically) could cause seizures... but he is also almost 18 years old. DD on the other hand is 18 MONTHS old and I'm doing a delayed schedule. I've been reading just recently about the amounts of alumnium in the vaxes. Basically FDA says a safe amount would be 14 mcgs (or something.. can't remember exact measurements/names) and one vax has like 900 mcgs in it...

chandni3 01-17-2012 08:26 AM

Isn't it true though when you break up the vaccinations you get more adjuvants because you are getting more shots than if you get multiple vaccinations in one shot? I am going to vaccinate because I want to be able to take my child to India and I want my child to be able to travel. I am paranoid enough already, please only good stories about vaccinations.

jemilyon 01-17-2012 08:29 AM

Subbing.

hokoonchi 01-17-2012 08:43 AM

I have a good story. DS (16 months) is fully vaxed. He already has nearly 100 words, is very social, and does not show signs of any developmental delay. He has never had an adverse reaction to any vaccination, other than being upset that he got a shot.

I also had shingles in the past two weeks, which would have given him chicken pox, had he not had the varicella vaccination last month. I am happy to report that he has had no sign nor symptom of chicken pox at all. (And he's well past the incubation period.)

mibarra 01-17-2012 08:54 AM

I have 2 daughters. DD1 was a preemie (31 weeks), and spent 6 weeks in the NICU. She is 2.5 and has received all vax's on schedule, and never had more than mild fussiness afterword. She is hearing impaired, but it is due to the medications she was on to keep her alive after she was born, and it occured before any vaccinations were give. DD2 was full term. She is 1 year, and has received all vax's on schedule. At her 6 month she got a mild fever and was fussy, but has been fine otherwise. No developmental issues for either one. Even DD1 with her hearing impairment tests average in ever area not related to hearing. :)

Beccadssmomma 01-17-2012 09:03 AM

DS is 21 months and fully vaxed. We did delay the Hep B vax until he was two months old but then did it.
He has no developmental delays, chats all day long, is active (LOVES being outside, which is hard when it's so cold!). Plays well alone and with others!

2+2macht4 01-17-2012 09:04 AM

My son has never had issues with shots

happysmileylady 01-17-2012 09:06 AM

Well, I am not sure I have a "good vax story" because there ISN'T a story. My kids are fully vaxed. Never had a reaction. All are perfectly healthy. They have no developmental delays, just slow to talk, but that's NORMAL for my family, and not related to vaxes.

I do however have a "bad" non-vax story. Not really "bad," Just a thing to make you go "hmmm."

My oldest was born right around the time the Cpox vax came out. I never got it for her, never saw a need. When she was in kindergarten, she caught c-pox. No big deal. My kid was (and still is) rarely ever sick. C-pox was the worst illness she had ever caught, and she had a pretty typical case. Took the average time to get over it, went back to school and a week later was back home sick with a throat infection. Home a couple of days, antibiotics, back to school. Two weeks later, same thing. Long story short, between Jan 1 and April 1, she had a total of 5 or 6 throat infections, one after another, after getting C-pox. I stopped counting at that point, but her tonsils were so big they were touching and that was really affecting her sleep, not to mention that it's no fun to have a soar throat pretty much all the time. The doc and I agreed it was time for the tonsils to come out, and in August of that year, right after the start of the year, she was out of school AGAIN having her tonsils removed. After having them removed, she was fine. She even got perfect attendance at school the rest of that year and the year after.

Now, there will never be any proof that catching C-pox had anything to do with having her tonsils removed. However, myself and my doctor both firmly agree that catching C-pox affected her immune system to the point where she was unable to recover from the throat infections fully. That she wasn't able to effectively fight them off. We believe this is what caused her tonsils to swell up like they did and require removal. Given how strong immune system was both before and after having had all the rest of her vaxes, I would say that getting the C-pox vax would never have affected her the way catching the actual illness did.

isaacsmum 01-17-2012 09:22 AM

Not really a "good" story here, just that we vax on schedule, no big deal, kids are fine. I nurse my babies through their shots, and usually they are upset for a minute or two and over it quickly. DS had a low grade fever after his 2month shots and his 1yr shots, but they otherwise didn't bother him all that much. I thought I'd add relating to adjuvants and preservatives that spacing the shots out doesn't necessarily mean more of those additives total, just depends on which vaccines and formulations are selected. There are some good charts and details on vax ingredients here: http://www.pediatricsdigest.mobi/con...12/6/1394.full though I'll add that the adjuvants are not something that concern me based on what I've learned.