Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In Feb (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   Brighton's Incredible Birth Story (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1339153)

new2allthis 01-18-2012 09:39 AM

Brighton's Incredible Birth Story

My labor with Felicity was 10hrs from start to finish and she came at 38weeks 3days so I was convinced (as was my midwife) that Brighton would come early and fast and he did not disappoint!

On Sunday January 15, 2012 (37 weeks according to my midwife, 36weeks 5 according to me), the day started off like any other lazy Sunday. We ate breakfast and were trying to come up with our grocery list. I had been having a ton of Braxton Hicks for about a week and my back was really sore. I told Jess I was going to take a bath to relax my back. The bath did it's trick and I felt ready to go to the store. As we walked around HEB, I felt my back tighten again and was having some minor Braxton Hicks (or at least that is what I was thinking). After we left the grocery store, I was beginning to feel nauseous and told Jess I really needed to eat lunch. We dropped off the groceries and hopped back in the car went to Panera Bread. Everything felt like a normal day. On the way home (this was around 2pm) my back really began bothering me again so as soon as we got home, I got right back in the tub. As I was lying in the tub, I noticed I could no longer see my belly button. "He's dropped. This is what is going on to my back!" I thought.

I got out of the tub around 3pm and I shouted downstairs to Jess that I was going to lie down since I hadn't slept well the night before. This is when I noticed that my Braxton Hicks Contractions were probably not Braxton Hicks. But I was still in denial that I was really in labor. My back would tense up and then it would radiate forward to my abdomin. "Maybe I should time these" I thought. The contractions were very erradict. I have heard of women walking around for days with contractions like these so I really didn't think too much of it. I actually thought to myself "I wish my water would just break already so that I would know if this is real labor!" Yep, totally in denial. Around 4pm, I felt a small bubble pop and hoped it was my water breaking. I got up and some fluid did leak. I ran to the bathroom but still questioned if it was my water breaking or if I just wet myself. I then felt the need to use the toilet.

This is when I finally believed I was in labor. I had to stand up and move around between going #2 (TMI). After I was done, I called for Jess. He came upstairs and I said "I think I am in labor and I am pretty sure my water broke. Call mom and let her know we need her to watch Felicity." He ran downstairs and I walked around for a minute or 2 before following him. Felicity and Jess had been watching TV so when I came down she ran over to me. I sat on my yoga ball. I am pretty sure she sensed something was up as she almost immediately began kissing my knee and very loudly saying "AWWWWW". I think she was kissing my knee since the last injury in our house was Jess badly burning his knee. I asked Jess for my phone and I dialed Paula, my midwife but then canceled the call as soon as I hit send. I thought to myself that I hadn't really timed my contractions in a while and I didn't want to bother her until I at least had a answer for her most likely question. I called my cousin instead (who was supposed to take pictures for us) since she lives 45 min away to give her plenty of time to get here (HA!). She missed Felicity's birth and I didn't want a repeat. I then called Paula and told her I thought I was in labor and I was pretty sure my water broke. She said she'd be right over.

Right about the time I got off the phone, my mom arrived. My contractions were beginning to feel intense so I asked her to call my step-dad to come get Felicity to take back to their house. Felicity had moved on to rubbing my back. Jess told her to be quiet and she yelled "I"M AWWW-ING!!" It was rather comical. We had planned for her to stay at the house while I labored but my contractions were getting intense and I was afraid that if I had a couple more hours like this that I would scare her. So mom took Felicity upstairs to get her stuff to go back to my parents' place. Jess realized that we did not have an adapter for our kitchen sink to hook up to the water hose we had planned on using to fill the pool we had set up for the birth. I told Jess that I needed something and I needed it then so to forget the pool and let's just use our bathtub. We walked to the stairs together and I asked him to carry me. "Uh, Okay" he replied but I could see in his eyes he had no idea how that would work. So I told him to forget it and to just go upstairs. I sat on the piano bench and looked at the stairs as if they were Mt Everest. I said outloud to no one "What did I get myself into? What was I thinking?" (I was referring to the pregnancy in general not the homebirth) "I need drugs!" As soon as my contraction was over, I ran up the stairs as fast as I could go.

As I walked into the bathroom, I said to Jess "We are adopting the next one." but he was so engrossed in filling the tub he did not hear me. My mom says she heard me in the other room. I climbed in the tub and laid back supporting myself with my hands. I got this sudden pressure on my bottom. "I need to poop" I said to Jess and I moved to my knees, facing Jess. I thought to myself this doesn't feel like poop and I put my hand down to feel what was going on. I felt a bulge. It felt like minutes but I am sure it was only seconds for me to realize it was his head! I told Jess and he didn't believe me. I told him to feel for himself. He did and his eyes grew to 10 times their usual size. I felt my body push and out his head came. Jess exclaimed "Oh my God, it's his head!" And I could see a little light bulb click on in his head that he was supposed to be supportive and quickly added "You're doing great." Even at the moment I thought it was pretty funny. And then my body pushed the rest of Brighton out right into my hands. I pulled him to my body and rubbed his back. And he made his first whimper sound. Jess exclaimed "He's here!" and ran off to get the phone to call Paula. My mom walked in at that very moment and completely panicked. I was totally calm and just rubbing his back. Paula was apparently pulling into our driveway so Jess let her in. Paula said he looked great and we waited until the cord to stop pulsing for Jess to cut it.

It was crazy and absolutely amazing. From the moment, I called Paula to let her know I was in labor to the minute we called her to her he was born was only 19 minutes! I am so glad we planned a homebirth because it looks like we would have had one no matter what. At least this way, we had our midwife there quickly.

SadiesMomma 01-18-2012 09:55 AM

Re: Brighton's Incredible Birth Story

Wow... what a story! congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TPLmommy 01-18-2012 10:12 AM

DDC... I hope this is me in 12 weeks...minus the no birthing tub part! :goodvibes:

Congrats mama!!! That's one amazing story! You & your DH did great!!!

Fitter 01-18-2012 11:40 AM

wow great job and congrats on your new little guy!

mms1972 01-18-2012 11:42 AM

Wow! Congrats!!!!

Sent from my VM670 using DS Forum

rosenfried2 01-18-2012 11:47 AM

Wow!!!! Great story!! Welcome to the world little man!

Squig'sMumMum 01-18-2012 12:16 PM

Congrats!!! What an awesome story and your daughter is just too cute :)

trying4more 01-18-2012 12:36 PM

congrats!!!

liz1229 01-18-2012 01:26 PM

Amazing!! Congrats mama.

momof3boys1girl 01-18-2012 01:34 PM

Congrats.