Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   More Questions added ....Wool 101? Convert me! ;) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1339211)

jkoopmans 01-18-2012 12:15 PM

More Questions added ....Wool 101? Convert me! ;)

Both myself and other mamas have added new questions in comments, wool experts please help! :)

Probably a stupid question, but Im still kinda new and CD'ing. ;)

With my last child we CD'ed, but only used various pockets and some covers with inserts/prefolds (mostly homemade) laid inside. ...Oh and a few AIO's.

Now we're expecting baby #3 and Im wanting to try prefolds, flats & fitteds (FINALLY! lol) with covers mostly. Everyone keeps saying these (wool) are all amazingly leakproof at nighttime and etc. Obviously I know what wool is made of (lol), and Ive seen pictures of wool longies and stuff on here before ...but thats literally all I know!

So can someone please tell me a little more about wool? ...Convert me!! ;) .... Doesnt it have a crazy wash routine or something? Wouldnt that be harder than just using covers? Whats the pros and cons? Why do YOU love it? ...If I do try some out, what would you recommend I try and need to have on hand for it?

Ok I have another question... Looking at some of the upcycled sweater Longies and etc, I could totally make these too! Does it have to be 100% or some particular special amount of wool in the sweater? ...and anyone know how I'd do the initial 'lanolinizing' Id assume would need to be done?

chandni3 01-18-2012 12:18 PM

Re: Wool 101? Convert me! ;)

Wash routine - put lanolin and woolwash in water, put in soaker and swish around, let soak for a while, squeeze out water, roll in towel, let dry, done. And you only have to do it once or twice a month.
Check out this video
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/lanolize.htm

traderbren 01-18-2012 12:26 PM

Wool is lovely stuff. I finally got a few soakers and longies myself and I'm catching the fever already... PP gave excellent washing advice. If you want to try it out, I suggest looking for upcycled wool. It will be cheaper. Then you can look for knit or crochet if you decide you love it. Two good places to look for upcycled wool are Baby Snickerdoodles and Last Minute Boutique.

jkoopmans 01-18-2012 12:49 PM

Oh that doesn't sound hard to wash at all! Lol really only that often too?! ...is it waterproof? I have GMD, and getting some imagines and SBish fitteds. Does sizing matter for what will be under it or just pick size baby wears and it will cover whatever prefolds/fitted I use that also fits baby? (does that make sense? Lol)

jkoopmans 01-18-2012 01:01 PM

Also, is wool more 'waterproof' than pul or is it mostly the look and comfy factors that people use it instead?

chandni3 01-18-2012 01:26 PM

Wool isn't more "waterproof", it repels at first but when a diaper gets too soaked wool will absorb so you don't get leaking. Wool is only as good as the diaper underneath though. If you have a very thin diaper under it and the baby is sitting in a swing or exersaucer it may wick through, so you need to have enough absorbency under it. It's great for nights with a good diaper because it will absorb if the diaper gets too full and you won't get leaking on to sheets, at the worst you may get damp cloths but that should be rare. Also wool will allow the urine to evaporate so the baby isn't sleeping in a soggy diaper. And of course there are the benefits of breathablility and temperature regulation. And then it can be very comfy too.
Sizing depends on the soaker type. Wool is streatchy so it does get a good fit. You'll have to check size for specific diapers. But I find disana and woollybottoms fit over some pretty fat diapers. Prefolds are nice and trim under wool but you get more poop on the wool which means more washing (you can wash stains with an olive oil bar soap like Kiss my Face) fitteds keep wool cleaner but give you a big butt.

mariamommy 01-18-2012 01:28 PM

I can't speak for the wool, but you will love the prefolds, flats and fitteds! In some way, shape or form. :D

jkoopmans 01-18-2012 01:48 PM

Gottcha! ;) thanks so much guys! ...and yeah I'm pretty dang excited for finally having DH convinced to CD and finally being able to try prefolds, fitteds etc like I've been wanting!

noranuks 01-18-2012 02:35 PM

Why choose wool? Wool is kind of magic. It's not waterproof, but it is water resistant and can absorb about a third of its own weight. Because of this, a properly lanolized wool cover will almost always catch leaks before they reach sheets, clothing, etc. Wool is also antimicrobial, and does not need to be washed after every change. Simply let it air out and it will be ready for the next change! Washing/lanolizing is a simple process- just let woolies soak with some lanolin rich wool wash (or melt some lansinoh and add a squirt of baby shampoo) for at least 30 min, squeeze out excess water (or let them run through a spin cycle in the washer), and let them air dry.

Phew. That's my technical spiel. In all reality, I just plain old LOVE wool! I feel great about having it on my kids, it's so soft and squishy, so cute, and so fuss free. Sure, I have times (like today) when i forget (or am too lazy) to wash and suddenly realize EVERYTHING will need to washed at the same time . . . :giggle2: but the benefits far outweigh any quirks of working with wool. I had given up on CD'ing before I found wool. Have fun trying something new!

littleleaf 01-18-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkoopmans (Post 14477698)
Also, is wool more 'waterproof' than pul or is it mostly the look and comfy factors that people use it instead?

We love our wool around here, and have used recycled wool, interlock, and knit (hand knit and machine-knit like Aristocrats, Sbish). I love all of them, for different reasons. Mostly, I love that wool has been so bulletproof for us, and I love that it is breathable and cute.

Even though PUL is supposed to be "waterproof", we have had leaks, including compression leaks, with PUL - especially when babywearing. With the same diaper and wool, I got no leaks - yay! I think a big part of it is that wool gives us a much better fit than PUL and keeps the diaper snug so it makes the diaper work harder to absorb moisture. :thumbsup: