Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Engorgement relief and possible EPing (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1339387)

JustSomeChickVee 01-18-2012 03:40 PM

Engorgement relief and possible EPing

My baby was born on Friday and my milk came in two days ago. My son has serious nursing issues. I have seen a lactation consultant and it was determined that he has a submucousal tongue tie and the part that holds his upper lip (I believe she called it a frenulum,) is also a bit short. He screams at my breasts and barely latches on. If he does latch, it is a bad latch and he holds it for 30 seconds tops before unlatching and screaming some more. We came up with a plan together to try to get him to nurse. She recommended cranio-sacral therapy. I am to try to nurse him when he shows feeding cues in a reclined position by laying him in between my breasts and letting him search for the nipple and latch on. If he does not latch on and nurse, I am supposed to feed him pumped breastmilk with my Playtex Ventaire bottle and slow flow nipple, making sure the nipple is entirely in his mouth and removing the bottle after 5 to seconds of him being on it. She called this method paced feeding. So basically, right now I am doing double the work. I am nursing and pumping every two to three hours, around the clock. I am also taking Motherlove More Milk Plus supplements to help maintain my supply. At the moment, I am able to pump 2 to 4 oz of milk in approximately 20 minutes, every 2 to 3 hours. However, his latch isn't really improving at all. I am facing possible EPing, which is fine though I would prefer to nurse at the breast. I need to create a time limit for myself concerning when I will just start exclusively pumping. I was thinking I'd give myself 4 weeks, and if he hasn't learned to latch on properly by then, I will begin to EP. What are your thoughts on this? If you faced EPing, what time limit did you give yourself? What do you think of my LC's method?

Also, my left breast has become engorged, it feels really heavy, hard, and somewhat lumpy. Not sure why my right breast doesn't feel engorged. What are some ways to ease the discomfort in my left breast?

Thanks!!

2+2macht4 01-18-2012 03:47 PM

Re: Engorgement relief and possible EPing

FOr the engorgement try cold cabbage leaves, works wonders.

I had breastfeeding issues as well. I started out weighting DS, then nursing with a shield, weighing again, pumping, then bottle feeding and topping up anything more needed. A feed took over an hour and he only went 2 hours between. It was ridiculous.

I went to another LC she said to stp the sheild and got DS to latch properly. We had to buld my milk so I had to keep pumping for a while. In the end I found fenugreek to make the biggest difference.

At about 5 weeks DS nursed for teh first time, before that he could never latch, by about 3 months he was off formula and exclusively breastfed. I did not have enough milk to even ep at first.

If it is important to you I woud keep trying and I would get a second opinion see if someone else has another approach.

Good luck.

Mom2Milo 01-18-2012 04:02 PM

I didn't really get the hang of getting a good latch until ds was 2 mo. And we saw 3 different lac. consultants. Hang in there mama and keep seeking help until you get comfortable. No matter what you end up doing don't feel bad. Go with your gut and go with what feels right for your fam.

Connor 01-18-2012 04:48 PM

Do not use cabage leaves, that can cause your milk to decrease and possibly dry up. No offense, but in my opinion his latch isn't going to get much better while being bottle fed (or using a pacifier, if you are). Could you possibly cup, spoon, or syringe feed? Also, can you make an appointment to get his tounge/lip tie clipped?

JustSomeChickVee 01-18-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor (Post 14479602)
Do not use cabage leaves, that can cause your milk to decrease and possibly dry up. No offense, but in my opinion his latch isn't going to get much better while being bottle fed (or using a pacifier, if you are). Could you possibly cup, spoon, or syringe feed? Also, can you make an appointment to get his tounge/lip tie clipped?

Glad someone told me about the cabbage leaves before I sent DH out to buy some! I don't use a pacifier. I was syringe feeding before, but it seemed like he was just getting used to having the milk squirted into his mouth with absolutely no effort on his part.

I really don't want to have his tongue tie clipped. I have a thing about causing him pain. he can stick his tongue out, my LC didn't think it's severe enough to prevent him from being able to breastfeed effectively.

mibarra 01-18-2012 04:57 PM

I EPed from the beginning with DD1. She was a NICU baby and didn't even start feeding through a nose tube for several days. Then she started on bottles, and refused the breast. After 4 months of pumping every 4 hours around the clock, and attempting to nurse with no success, I gave up. I had just been going without thinking, and hoped she would nurse. Then 1 day I realized feedings were a nightmare for both of us because of all the stress, DH and I were both exhausted (he did nighttime feedings while I pumped, she had to be fed every 4 hours or less til 5 months), and it wasn't going anywhere. Switched to bottles, slowly eliminated 1 pumping session a day, and never looked back. We were all much happier.

I think whenever you feel like you're done, you're done. EPing is hard work, and everyone has a different tolerance, KWIM?

As a side note, DD2 is still nursing at 1 year. Good luck! :)

JustSomeChickVee 01-18-2012 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serenajean1 (Post 14479254)
FOr the engorgement try cold cabbage leaves, works wonders.

I had breastfeeding issues as well. I started out weighting DS, then nursing with a shield, weighing again, pumping, then bottle feeding and topping up anything more needed. A feed took over an hour and he only went 2 hours between. It was ridiculous.

I went to another LC she said to stp the sheild and got DS to latch properly. We had to buld my milk so I had to keep pumping for a while. In the end I found fenugreek to make the biggest difference.

At about 5 weeks DS nursed for teh first time, before that he could never latch, by about 3 months he was off formula and exclusively breastfed. I did not have enough milk to even ep at first.

If it is important to you I woud keep trying and I would get a second opinion see if someone else has another approach.

Good luck.

We tried the nipple shield too, but he doesn't want anything to do with it. he just pulls on it. The Motherlove supplement contains Fenugreek, Blessed Thistle, Fennel seed and nettle.

I'm considering going to the LC my midwife suggested and seeing what her opinion is.

tibeca 01-18-2012 05:32 PM

Not all LC's are the same. At the very least, I would get a second opinion and see what they come up with.

laurenmichelle 01-18-2012 06:46 PM

even if he can sick his tongue out, the submucosal tongue tie and lip tie can cause major issues. I am posting from my phone now but I can link you some blogs and articles when I am back at my computer.

the pain from the clipping will be shirt lived compared to the nursing issues, nipple damage, growth/nutrition issues.

JustSomeChickVee 01-18-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurenmichelle (Post 14480267)
even if he can sick his tongue out, the submucosal tongue tie and lip tie can cause major issues. I am posting from my phone now but I can link you some blogs and articles when I am back at my computer.

the pain from the clipping will be shirt lived compared to the nursing issues, nipple damage, growth/nutrition issues.

I'd definitely appreciate that