Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   C Section Births (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Don't want one (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1341445)

meandmy20 01-22-2012 12:50 PM

Don't want one

As my delivery gets closer I have talked to my Dr about C Section. Mostly about not wanting one. My mom had 2 and my sis has had 3 and her 4th is already on the books. Any tip to not getting one? Just seems no one in my family goes into labor.

Whipple 01-22-2012 01:12 PM

Re: Don't want one

I know a few people whose pregnancies last longer than normal. I'm talking 43-45 weeks. I wouldn't say your body doesnt go into labor. I'd give it more time. Is that the only reason for the sections?

qsefthuko 01-22-2012 01:21 PM

I don't know how far along you are but it is getting harder to find doctors who are willing to let a mother go post dates even if everything is going well. I heard some doctors are wanting to induce at 38 weeks which increases c-section rates for failure to progress. My opinion is it also increases the chances of delivering a large premature baby. Finding a doctor who is willing to let you go into labor on your own as long as all is well with both mother and baby would increase your chances of not getting a c-section. Otherwise your health is also very important in avoiding a c-section and educating yourself about what is normal and what is not. Good luck I've had 3 c-sections also and if I have another child it is an automatic c-section. Not even the local midwives will let me have a natural birth not even my mother who is a midwife. That however is not the norm. Most babies can be born naturally if allowed. I hope you get what you want.

mariamommy 01-22-2012 02:52 PM

How long have you waited for labor to begin?

No woman is pregnant forever!

I had to wait til 43 weeks for labor to begin. I went to 42 and 41.5 weeks with my first two babies and labor did not begin at those times either. I was induced my first and had a scheduled cesarean (hoped for VBAC but never went into labor when "they wanted me to"). I've had 3 cesareans and would do anything to avoid them. I'm trying for VBA3C with this baby that is due in May.

songbird516 01-22-2012 06:55 PM

I agree with the previous poster. My grandmother had all of her babies postdates; her 5th was 3 weeks "late"! If you know that you have a family history of women not going into labor by 40, 41, 42 weeks...then you're ahead of the game. It might just be normal for you. Know that if you are induced and it doesn't work, that it's because your body is working to protect your baby; you're probably not ready. I have a friend who had a family history of long gestations; she asked to be induced (her logic was that she wanted her mom to be there, and her body wasn't going to go into labor naturally)....the induction didn't work, and the doctor actually told her to come back in a few days and they would try again. She refused and demanded a c-section. (She told me this in no uncertain terms). It might not be related, but now she's having trouble getting pregnant again and has had several miscarriages.

If you really don't want a c-section, then trust your body to go into labor when it's ready. Yes it's true that there is a slightly higher risk of stillbirth waiting past 42 weeks than there is with induction, but there are also risks associated with c-sections, including infection and future pregnancy complications for mom, and risks for the baby associated with that method of delivery. You have to do the research and decide which risks you are most comfortable with.

THen again, you might not have to worry about it at all! I was convinced that I would go 2 weeks overdue because of my family history, but actually I went into labor on my due date. joke was on me!

Whipple 01-22-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by songbird516 (Post 14505822)
You have to do the research and decide which risks you are most comfortable with.

This is spades! You need to do the research so you are in charge, because trusting someone else, anyone else, totally with your body and your baby cannot end well.

KB'sMama1031 01-22-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariamommy (Post 14504376)
How long have you waited for labor to begin?

No woman is pregnant forever!

I had to wait til 43 weeks for labor to begin. I went to 42 and 41.5 weeks with my first two babies and labor did not begin at those times either. I was induced my first and had a scheduled cesarean (hoped for VBAC but never went into labor when "they wanted me to"). I've had 3 cesareans and would do anything to avoid them. I'm trying for VBA3C with this baby that is due in May.

agreed! I bet you will go into labor if you can wait, your body knows what to do!

meandmy20 01-22-2012 08:18 PM

This will be #1 for me. I'm almost 36 wks, so not quite there yet. My dr will let me go 41 but not much over that. My sis just never went into labor and now that she has had 3 they are making her have one for the 4th. My mom didnt go into labor w/my sis. She did w/ me but it was because she decided to pick up a microwave. Then I was an emergency section. I would just like to have her.

mariamommy 01-22-2012 08:33 PM

Is your doctor already assuming you are having a c-section?

I would content your doctor and not act like he is "letting you" go to 41 weeks. You're still in charge of the birth of your baby the way you want it to go. Just tell him you want to wait for labor to begin...and labor will begin. I really used to think that I was one of those women who "never went into labor" because my first two babies I never did...but I was never "allowed" to go past 42 weeks. I pushed back against the doctors and did not schedule a cesarean...I waited...and waited...and labor began. It may take longer than they want it to take. At least give labor a shot...that's the only way you'll know. I would encourage you to tell them you'd like to wait for labor to begin. If there's no medical reason to induce or schedule a cesarean then why do it?

meandmy20 01-23-2012 10:53 PM

No not at all my dr is very much on my side. We are military and she just happens to be from my home town and she really wants to deliver DD. If I have a section she won't be the one to do it. But because we are military Tri care (ins) has certain rules. One of them is that the baby can't go past 41 wks w/ out a med reason. That's what I have been told/read. I know their are special cases where someone gas gone later. That's just the general rule.