Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   A ? about breast feeding and a ? about baby powder (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1341611)

allisonmartin 01-22-2012 06:02 PM

A ? about breast feeding and a ? about baby powder

So 2 questions:

1. Can you use baby powder on a newborn?

I was at my sister's house the other day and when I changed her little guys diaper(2 weeks old) he was a little red so asked if I should put some powder on him or the cream that was near by. And she says to me, you can't use baby powder on a newborn. And I kind :headscratch: at that. I know you have to be careful that kids don't breath the powder in but I don't remember being told not to use it at all.

2. Do you have to/should you burp your baby when their EBF'ing?

My sister seems overly zealous with her burping, but maybe it's just me. I don't remember ever really burping DS and DH says that his mom never burped her kids and she EBF 12 kids so is it really necessary/helpful to babies to burp them when their EBF? How many mamas burped and didn't burp? Just wondering. TIA

kanga1622 01-22-2012 06:24 PM

I never used baby powder because I was afraid of inhaling it but I don't think it is a huge deal.

I burped DS all the time when he was still EBF. I burped him every time we switched sides and he rarely spit up. I think I burped him until he was over a year. Seemed to make sense to me to get the air bubble out so he could fit more milk in his tummy and give me more than a 15 minute break before we started again.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum

Urchin 01-22-2012 06:32 PM

Re: A ? about breast feeding and a ? about baby powder

I personally wouldnt ever use baby powder. It can be inhaled and damage their lungs (probably at any age).

I always burp my lo after bfing. bf'd babies tend to take in less air, but some still need burping. My little girl needs to be burped or she gets very uncomfortable!

ktmelody 01-22-2012 06:36 PM

We have always used baby powder and I always burp my baby when we switch sides or are done. If my baby doesnt burp she projectile vomits breastmilk all over.

issybissy 01-22-2012 06:38 PM

Baby powder is bad if it is talc, there is cornstarch powder which is safe to use.

momof3boys1girl 01-22-2012 06:40 PM

we dont use baby powder and we always burp. If i cant get them to burp dh has become a pro burper :giggle:

Computermama 01-22-2012 06:44 PM

I wouldn't use baby powder at all, not just for newborns. Baby powder and baby oil both are kinda dangerous.

Some babies are gassier than others. For the first few months I always had to burp DD, but I've met some babies who didn't need to burp at all.

reithegenki 01-22-2012 06:45 PM

We didn't use baby powder, because I feel the risks far outweigh the benefits. We burped after every feed and when changing sides. If we didn't he would get terrible gas bubbles in his tummy and cry like he had colic. People always asked me why he never cried, lol. Probably because I was always holding him and he didn't have any gas. :goodvibes:

colin-mylilguy 01-22-2012 06:46 PM

We don't use baby powder. Talc is especially bad but cornstarch, also irritates the lining in the lungs and can lead to inflammation and increased upper and lower respiratory infections. :(

I burped LO till he was about 7-8 months. Nothing major, just a few pats on the back to help up the inevitable burp. It seemed to help prevent big spit-ups and tummy upset.

allisonmartin 01-22-2012 06:51 PM

I think maybe DS was just really layed back, still is most of the time. Hopefully his sister follows in his footsteps, you wouldn't think I could forget this much in just 18 months but I'm finding I need refreshed on a few things in the baby department. Lol.:giggle2: