Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   "Cradle cap" on a 3 year old?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1341977)

jamomx4 01-23-2012 11:35 AM

"Cradle cap" on a 3 year old??

My 3 year old still gets cradle cap :banghead:. Is this common? Her hair isn't very long yet, and it's still baby fine, but she has too much hair to use baby oil now kwim. The pedi says to use Selsum blue (or another dandruff shampoo), and although they do have a "naturals" formula now that smells much more mild, I don't feel comfortable using it on her.....and it doesn't work that great anyway so she'd need it often.

Any ideas for a more natural, healthier, option? Can I use coconut oil, or something like that? Something that won't leave her hair all greasy/oily and will wash out?

And any ideas why she still gets it?

I wouldn't say it's horrible, but seems bad enough to treat it with something.

Colleen+1 01-23-2012 11:57 AM

Re: "Cradle cap" on a 3 year old??

While I have no thoughts as to why she gets it, I must say I remember my brother having it when he was older than 3....I am younger than him, and I remember the hair dresser telling my mom it was like cradle cap, I thought she said "crap", hahaha. He was probably 7. Not sure what she did to combat it, probably some sort of shampoo like you mentioned, but he was older.

I used coconut on ds when he was a baby. It worked well, and as long as you don't use too much, I find that it rubs in fairly well.

keen1981 01-23-2012 12:03 PM

My kids have it! They are very fair skinned and have VERY fine hair. The skin on the scalp contains a lot if oil and the hair kinda mats down. I periodically wash their hair and then use a very fine (sharper) comb and gently scrap their scalp. They don't care and just sit and watch tv. I gently remove the skin and it's actually pretty easy. We have gone down to baths every couple days instead of every day and it's helped a lot. I also do not put soap directly on their head. I lather it in my hands first and then put my hands in a cup. Then I dump that cup of water on their heads. So it's very little soap and it's diluted. Oil doesn't really work better than this, for me.

Rockinmama24 01-23-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keen1981
My kids have it! They are very fair skinned and have VERY fine hair. The skin on the scalp contains a lot if oil and the hair kinda mats down. I periodically wash their hair and then use a very fine (sharper) comb and gently scrap their scalp. They don't care and just sit and watch tv. I gently remove the skin and it's actually pretty easy. We have gone down to baths every couple days instead of every day and it's helped a lot. I also do not put soap directly on their head. I lather it in my hands first and then put my hands in a cup. Then I dump that cup of water on their heads. So it's very little soap and it's diluted. Oil doesn't really work better than this, for me.

Everything she just said except I wash her hair 1x a week.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

iris0110 01-23-2012 12:12 PM

Kearnan still gets it and he is 10. Tharen gets it but less than Kearnan. The best way to get rid of it is shaving the hair off but you probably don't want to do that, it is also only temporary. You can break it up with a comb but it will come back (it is a natural way to get rid of it though). I just leave it alone because as far as I can tell there is no way to permanently get rid of it. I am about to start buying Kearnan actual dandruff shampoo because now that he is a preteen he has started having dandruff too. Yuck

maeus 01-23-2012 12:19 PM

My ped said DD's was probably from allergies, but she also has very mild eczema on her cheeks. I was also told to use Selsum Blue, but have the same issue with putting that on my baby's tender skin. My niece, who is five now, would still get cradle cap from some kind of dairy allergy/sensitivity, but I don't think my sister really did anything for it.

Ariomi 01-23-2012 12:34 PM

my 3 year old still gets it from time to time. She also has fine hair. Last time I used the cradle cap care I bought at walmart for my ydd who is 4mo now. It worked wonders for both of them and its natural. I got it in the baby section, its in a green bottle.

november 01-23-2012 12:42 PM

My 2 y/o still has this in a mild form from time to time. I assume it's normal. I've tried several things but Selsun Blue is the only thing that works.

KandFsMomma 01-23-2012 12:50 PM

DD gets it too, she's almost 5. She too has fine, curly hair. Just yesterday, I put a bunch of coconut oil on her, and gave her a little head massage, and scratched her scalp gently with my nails. Then I stuck her hair in a pony tail for a few hours, yes it was very greasy, but we were at home, and it's natural.
Then I put her in the shower and really rubbed the shampoo on her head, gave her a little massage and rinsed it really well. We do this every few months.

Melaine 01-23-2012 12:56 PM

I think DDs still had it until not that long ago. I think our issue was it was so ridiculously hard to scrub and rinse their heads with their super curly hair!
Plus, DH and I both tend to have super dry skin so it's a perfect storm.