Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Special Needs (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130)
-   -   Another ADHD post! =) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1342090)

wonton 01-23-2012 02:02 PM

Another ADHD post! =)
 
So my son is nearly 9yo and we finally did a "brown scales" questionnaire.
I didnt know what it was called or what kind of testing they did at school before this.

I have adhd so I already "knew" he most likely had it too.

It's clear that it's affecting his learning, he was held back in kinder and is now in 2nd grade but is behind the average 2nd grader as well.
He also has a lot of trouble at home.
It makes me sad and I know he is affected by it also.

It wasnt until I filled out the scales that I realized just how bad it is.

He is not the typical "bouncing off the walls" type of kids, he is more inattentive than hyperactive but he does have those issues as well as impulsivity.

My dh (not my ds's bio, weve been together since he was 3) doesnt really "get it", he just thinks he needs stricter discipline. =/
He's more traditional/old school and thinks Im just making excuses for him.

Even after the teacher and assistant principle meeting about the results. He appeared to be listening, but really had NOTHING to say or had any questions.

I never wanted to put my kid on medication I mean WHO does?
But it's becoming very clear that he NEEDS it.
It may not be literally life and death but if he's going to succeed in school, life and home, it seems pretty impartive that he get some help.
DH was not really wanting to do this but it's going to happen.

If medication helps him be able to learn and retain information and not "get in trouble" a gazillion times at home and sometimes at school it will be worth it.
He deserves to be "average", yes AVERAGE would be so amazing for us.

Anyway, I made an appointment at his ped to hopefully choose a med for him.
What medications have you tried for your child, what worked, what didnt, side effects, what can I possibly expect to see?

If this medication can help him it will be SO worth it. I am not taking anything since I am nursing and I was dx'ed as an adult and havent taken anything long enough or strong enough to see a real difference.

I want my baby boy to be happy and feel good about himself, it makes me so sad to think he's being blamed for things he really cant help.
I am tired of hearing from my dh that ds is just lazy, doesnt care, doesnt try hard enough blah blah blah!!!! :banghead:

ralenth 01-24-2012 07:06 AM

Re: Another ADHD post! =)
 
We tried Stratterra first (my son is very, very hyper off meds, as well as inattentive), and it didn't work, no real side effects, just didn't work. We tried Focalin, and that works great. Biggest side effect is lack of appetite. We are trying to work around that, but its tough. He rarely eats lunch these days.

wonton 01-24-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralenth
We tried Stratterra first (my son is very, very hyper off meds, as well as inattentive), and it didn't work, no real side effects, just didn't work. We tried Focalin, and that works great. Biggest side effect is lack of appetite. We are trying to work around that, but its tough. He rarely eats lunch these days.

That's a bummer, one of my son's friends is on focalin, and she said it hasn't affected his appetite.
I'm sure it depends on the person and dosage.

I know from experience meds don't just solve all your problems but he needs help, needs more than what we and his teachers are able to provide for him. We are not enough, its getting harder and harder.

ralenth 01-24-2012 07:57 PM

Re: Another ADHD post! =)
 
Meds made a HUGE difference in his life. His math scores doubled overnight when he started Focalin. He could not function in school beforehand, and he's doing well now. He notices the difference and is able to recognize when he needs help focusing.

MrsCrafty 01-26-2012 03:14 AM

Re: Another ADHD post! =)
 
First of all, :hugs: I had a similar meeting today with DSs pediatrician. We've been struggling and he's doing worse in school, having a harder time sitting still, and tons of impulsive behavior. We see a developmental pediatrician so he'll be the one we discuss med's with but I understand how hard it is. Even my parents who watch DS a lot while I'm at work say he needs something, but seem to think that meds are not the answer. It's so challenging when other family close to you don't agree with your plan of care. :hugs:

ralenth 01-26-2012 07:08 AM

Re: Another ADHD post! =)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2wyatt (Post 14528831)
First of all, :hugs: I had a similar meeting today with DSs pediatrician. We've been struggling and he's doing worse in school, having a harder time sitting still, and tons of impulsive behavior. We see a developmental pediatrician so he'll be the one we discuss med's with but I understand how hard it is. Even my parents who watch DS a lot while I'm at work say he needs something, but seem to think that meds are not the answer. It's so challenging when other family close to you don't agree with your plan of care. :hugs:

You know, one thing I have learned from this journey is that everyone seems to have an opinion, when, really? The only ones that matter are yours and your husbands!! I had someone argue with me at book club of all places that kids were over medicated, and ADHD over diagnosed. Seriously? Never met my child, and you just don't know. Even family truly doesn't know what we go through. They are not here day and night going through the battles we go through. They may be well meaning, but in the end? Make the decision that is right for you and your family. Also, know that most ADHD meds are in and out of the child's system fairly quickly. You need to give it time, but you will know fairly quick whether the med you choose is working or not. I knew the first day Alex took Focalin it was right for him. The change was almost immediate, and huge. It didn't change who he was at all, and all his quirks are still there. It lets him control his body, and focus his mind. It's sad, but he knows the difference, and will ask for a booster in the afternoon, because he can't focus to do his homework otherwise.

mcpforever 01-26-2012 07:19 AM

Re: Another ADHD post! =)
 
:hugs: DS1 is another who has done well with Focalin.

Are you going to do any behavioral modification therapy with him? If you do, take your DH. The therapist my DS1 saw was very, very into helping us understand how real ADHD is and recommended books etc. It wasn't something we needed at the time because we had already accepted his diagnosis and didn't need that convincing by then. (I did need it prior to that and had to come to my own conclusions based on personal research.) It sounds like your DH needs some time and help in understanding that ADHD is REAL and not something that can be disciplined out of a child anymore than eye color can. (or adult)

Also, help your DH learn about the medications and how they work at the low dosages that are used on kids. It's hard to get past the amphetamine label sometimes. We hear that and can't help think about drug addicts.

ETA: And when you hit on a medication that works, it is eye opening.

MrsCrafty 01-26-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ralenth

You know, one thing I have learned from this journey is that everyone seems to have an opinion, when, really? The only ones that matter are yours and your husbands!! I had someone argue with me at book club of all places that kids were over medicated, and ADHD over diagnosed. Seriously? Never met my child, and you just don't know. Even family truly doesn't know what we go through. They are not here day and night going through the battles we go through. They may be well meaning, but in the end? Make the decision that is right for you and your family. Also, know that most ADHD meds are in and out of the child's system fairly quickly. You need to give it time, but you will know fairly quick whether the med you choose is working or not. I knew the first day Alex took Focalin it was right for him. The change was almost immediate, and huge. It didn't change who he was at all, and all his quirks are still there. It lets him control his body, and focus his mind. It's sad, but he knows the difference, and will ask for a booster in the afternoon, because he can't focus to do his homework otherwise.

Thanks :goodvibes: we're going to the developmental pediatrician on Monday so I'm hoping he can give me more insight.

wonton 01-27-2012 04:59 PM

Re: Another ADHD post! =)
 
I havent gotten that far, as in err um the mod therapy but Im interested.
I think he needs help w/the meds for him to really be able to benefit from something like that.
I dont think he would be willing or able just on his own.
I had to postpone his drs apt till the 11th since I forgot he made plans tomorrow that we cant miss and thats the next saturday hes dr is available.

We found a jacket he left at school a few weeks ago, but my dad let him wear his new watch to school. He was playing w/it at school so the teacher told him to take it off and put it in his desk. They went back to school to get it and it was no longer in his desk. :banghead:
I thought my dad knew better than to let him take something like that to school.

He is just like me when I was a kid I "lost" so many things I took to school.
Im glad he got his jacket back though, he needs it more than the watch.

Carolyn528 01-28-2012 01:25 PM

I feel you, mama. Medication is a last resort at my house also. I'm natural everything, lol.

That being said, someone said this to me and it really helped me get over myself and focus on my kid:

If he was diabetic, you would give him insulin or if he had seizures, you would give him medication...without questioning yourself. Why is ADHD (or autism or pdd) different?

There's several ADHD/autism diets. You might want to check them out too.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors