Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Help me help my friend. Please! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1342155)

fishingfor5 01-23-2012 03:47 PM

Help me help my friend. Please!

Hi I need your advice,wisdom and direction. My friend just had a 1.7 pound 24 weeker. He is stable and that is just a blessing in itself. He had to have a blood transfusion the day after birth but i can't remember why. Anyhow, she had wanted to breastfeed him. A LC came and they started her on a pump. She has never BF before as her other 2 were formula fed. She was able to get some colostrum but cannot get her milk to come. Honeslty, with all that is going on in her life I can imagine relaxing enough to get a supply would have been a miracle. So she has asked me if I would consider donating milk which I consider a huge honor and is very humbling. The hospital will allow it as long as she signs a paper releasing them from liablity. I need to know what I need to consider if I enter this long term. I am currently 99%dairy free. ( I don't read every label so I can't claim I am 100%). Is there anything I need to stay away from food wise that will be bad for him? I am currently BFing my 6 month old and other than dairy I am able to eat most things. But his system is so delicate that I want to do the very best I can. Is it a bad idea for me to be the one to donate? I have bf 5 children and have an oversupply so there isn't a problem with that. What else can I do that will be a help to her? What would have been a Godsend when you were going through this?

She is not married and the father is a source of major stress. Her other 2 dc are in high school as this lo was a surprise.

I appreciate anything you can arm me with to help and be the best of what she needs.

thanks so much.

fishingfor5 01-23-2012 03:49 PM

Re: Help me help my friend. Please!

sorry for the typos..

issybissy 01-23-2012 04:27 PM

I think it's awesome for you to donate, but make sure she continues to pump herself as well so her supply can come in and regulate. Ask ur friend to talk to the dr about what the baby shouldn't be exposed to at such a young age, maybe nuts? Or fish? Or spices? Just ask to be certain. Then take those out of ur diet. Good luck!

twinmomstl 01-25-2012 06:24 PM

I don't think there is anything you need to change in your diet :goodvibes:

Wanderlust 01-27-2012 05:39 AM

that is such an awesome gift! I agree with issybissy- encourage her to continue pumping. When my guys were in the NICU, I only made enough for them to have a few drops of breastmilk in a syringe. But I kept at it and my milk started to trickle in after a few weeks.

knodceo 01-27-2012 05:44 AM

That's a great gift. I'd make sure that you're milk will be age appropriate for him. I offered recently to a friend of mine and because I have a 8 month old I was told no. The milk changes as they get older.

I would avoid spicy or caffeine or chocolate or the cabbage family. I would also speak to my pediatrician about it to get their opinion.

songbird516 01-27-2012 03:51 PM

Any age breastmilk is better than formula, but he really needs colostrum from mom. I would absolutely donate my milk in that situation.

mek10976 01-27-2012 08:18 PM

you shouldn't need to change your diet unless there is some sort of known condition. when my DS was in the NICU, i wasn't told to change anything. what you are doing is really amazing. also, your friend should keep pumping and letting the baby nipple or do kangaroo care. but maybe she isn't able to hold the baby yet? also, it isn't unusual for milk to never come in and she shouldn't feel guilty.

fishingfor5 01-27-2012 09:06 PM

Thanks ladies. I sent my first 3 ozs to the hospital. Sadly, she is not getting any milk but they were able to get some colostrum out. I am not sure if she is still pumping. If she isn't should I encourage her to start again and keep trying for a few weeks? I really don't know how good her help is on the LC side and of course she is still healing from the c-section. I talked with her daughter (16yr old) and it sounds like mom is not taking very good care of herself like she needs to. Although, I know she is worried for her boy I pray she starts working on her healing too. I really appreciate all of your wisdom. I am a bit startled at how humbling it is to donate. Something I take for granted most days has become such a cherished blessing and I thank God that I have this opportunity.

mom22boysand1girl 01-29-2012 01:57 PM

My milk took along time to come compared to my full term births. My body was in shock I think. I had a emergency c-section. Her milk will eventually come in if she is eating enough and drinking enough. I know it is much easier said than done though.
I think what you are doing is amazing.