Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Thrifty Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   What do you think it'd cost and ideas on room makeovers (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1343978)

Rainfall 01-26-2012 08:19 PM

What do you think it'd cost and ideas on room makeovers

So we never really decorated the nursery or had a cohesive theme or put together look for the babies/kids. Soon our teen will be moving his bedroom to one of the guest rooms downstairs and we'll have a boy and girl room for the little kids. I really want to decorate the rooms and make them cute.

How much does a room makeover cost (doing it as thrifty as possible)? Has anyone done a room makeover? Pictures?

Do you have thrifty ideas on how to do it? I can do paint easily enough since we have leftover paint from other rooms that would work and I can get "Oops" paint for the rest. Bedding will be tricky, but I could probably find a good sale or two. I'm always completely at a loss though on wall decor.

I could probably swing it as their bday gifts this year depending on how much it would cost. Or Christmas. Their bdays are Oct/Nov so it all blends in together every year pretty much. :) They really don't NEED anything, and I know they'd absolutely love a cute decorated big kid room of their own and wouldn't be disappointed or know the difference. ;)

Any and all ideas/pics are welcome! I've got all year to plan this out, but I'm starting now so I'm not so overwhelmed.

libbyl 01-26-2012 08:48 PM

Any idea on what themes you want to do for each room? Is there a color or animal or character that the girls or boys like? I have usually started with one main idea and worked from there. My younger son has a vintage race car theme, and the main colors are navy blue and red. I found a Pottery Barn kids quilt and rug on craigslist, a cute red shelf on clearance at Target, awesome navy striped sheets at the Company Store outlet, PB kids curtains on e-bay for a great deal, the paint is sage (5.00 can in the oops section at Home Depot, painted before it was a nursery, but it all works), and some toys are housed in a big navy bucket with red rope handles from Target.

Rainfall 01-26-2012 08:57 PM

Re: What do you think it'd cost and ideas on room makeovers

Quote:

Originally Posted by libbyl (Post 14534777)
Any idea on what themes you want to do for each room? Is there a color or animal or character that the girls or boys like? I have usually started with one main idea and worked from there. My younger son has a vintage race car theme, and the main colors are navy blue and red. I found a Pottery Barn kids quilt and rug on craigslist, a cute red shelf on clearance at Target, awesome navy striped sheets at the Company Store outlet, PB kids curtains on e-bay for a great deal, the paint is sage (5.00 can in the oops section at Home Depot, painted before it was a nursery, but it all works), and some toys are housed in a big navy bucket with red rope handles from Target.

I would really like to do a pink/green girly theme for the girl room. I'd like to do a little dress up corner somehow. A mirror, maybe a little table and chair. Hooks on the wall for dresses and things. A bucket or two for other non-hanging dress up stuff. eta: Their room is already green, so I was thinking of painting either the top or bottom halves of the walls in pink and leaving the rest green. eta: Well, it might be pink and purple for the girl room. DD was up late and saw me browsing bedding and is telling me she HAS to have purple! :)

The boy room I see in a blue and white or blue and brown. I think it'd be cute to have a chair-rail height road border all the way around for the cars and trucks to ride on. :) I see a little play tent in there, too. We actually already have it, but I've yet to get it out because we're maxed on space in the toy room.

We'll still have the toyroom for most of their stuff, so we won't have to keep all of their toys in their rooms right now.

TheGreenBee 01-27-2012 01:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
We redid both kid bedrooms in 2011. We did it for super cheap. Or I think it was cheap and we did a full makeover top to bottom. We removed the carpet and put down wood floor then painted the walls (I have a thing about paint so that was about $70 for the paint, then $200 per room for the floor as new bedding, I got on sale for $30 and misc wall decals.

Here is a pic of DD bedroom. She is almost 9. Her bed was a loft bed but when we did the redo the husband cut it down for her.

Attachment 93121

Attachment 93122

And I don't have any pics of the boys' room but we did the same. Replaced
The floor $200, $70 on paint and about $60 in matching bedding for the bunk beds.

Actually here are some messy pics. I was mid purge and took pics. I was still in the it gets worse before it gets better stage.

Attachment 93126

Both bedrooms are about 100 sq ft. I don't have any better pics of the boys' room. I forgot to take pics when I was done.

Really, I can spell. It's my phone that can'tSent from my iPhone using DS Forum

TheGreenBee 01-27-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainfall

I would really like to do a pink/green girly theme for the girl room. I'd like to do a little dress up corner somehow. A mirror, maybe a little table and chair. Hooks on the wall for dresses and things. A bucket or two for other non-hanging dress up stuff. eta: Their room is already green, so I was thinking of painting either the top or bottom halves of the walls in pink and leaving the rest green. eta: Well, it might be pink and purple for the girl room. DD was up late and saw me browsing bedding and is telling me she HAS to have purple! :)

The boy room I see in a blue and white or blue and brown. I think it'd be cute to have a chair-rail height road border all the way around for the cars and trucks to ride on. :) I see a little play tent in there, too. We actually already have it, but I've yet to get it out because we're maxed on space in the toy room.

We'll still have the toyroom for most of their stuff, so we won't have to keep all of their toys in their rooms right now.

Ooh. DDs old room was pink and green I will look for pics tomorrow.

I actually have some bedding you could have if shipping from Canada isn't too much. I will try to compress it way down I. One of those vaccine space bags. It is in decent condition (definitely not like new but lots of miles left) but is heckuva cute. I have two matching sets. I will look for pictures. There is a matching valance as well.

If you like it as shipping isn't a fortune it's yours.

It might even have purple in it. It definitely has blue. The bedding could go with almost anything

Rainfall 01-27-2012 09:01 AM

The pictures are great! I love the colors you have for their rooms. :) Heck yeah, I'd love to see pictures of the bedding - that'd be great!

AfWife8405 01-27-2012 09:22 AM

We are military and sometimes move as often as every year. I am a big fan of wall decals for kids rooms. I just changed my daughter's room from a Dora theme to a Princess theme and all I paid for was new wall decals from Target. The grandparents bought her new bedding with the disney princesses on it.

My daughters room is purple with white furniture & pink and purple baskets to organize her toys. My best advice is to coordinate mostly on colors instead of them and then add in a few elements to create the theme. This way it is cheap and easy to switch it up later when they outgrow the room's theme. HTH.

While we are talking about rooms... does anyone have any ideas for a boys room that is green where one boy likes Star Wars and the other likes Cars? Its my least favorite room in the house because it doesn't look put together. I don't know how to make it look unified with 2 very different interests.

TheGreenBee 01-27-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AfWife8405
We are military and sometimes move as often as every year. I am a big fan of wall decals for kids rooms. I just changed my daughter's room from a Dora theme to a Princess theme and all I paid for was new wall decals from Target. The grandparents bought her new bedding with the disney princesses on it.

My daughters room is purple with white furniture & pink and purple baskets to organize her toys. My best advice is to coordinate mostly on colors instead of them and then add in a few elements to create the theme. This way it is cheap and easy to switch it up later when they outgrow the room's theme. HTH.

While we are talking about rooms... does anyone have any ideas for a boys room that is green where one boy likes Star Wars and the other likes Cars? Its my least favorite room in the house because it doesn't look put together. I don't know how to make it look unified with 2 very different interests.

My suggestion would be to do neither star wars or cars. My boys are five years apart and share a room and obviously have different interests. I did green walls and Camo bedding.

TheGreenBee 01-27-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainfall
The pictures are great! I love the colors you have for their rooms. :) Heck yeah, I'd love to see pictures of the bedding - that'd be great!

I will dig it out today sometime and take a pic

Green Decals 01-27-2012 12:17 PM

Our boys share a room (and a full-size bed, because they both love to co-sleep but DH and I want our space now!). Their room was painted light blue as soon as we moved in pre-babies, because I figured it would work well for either gender. We did a sailboat theme but didn't go overboard (no pun intended :-) so as to be able to easily change it down the road. The colors are blues (royal and navy) and red. Their bedding is solid colors (flannel for winter and regular cotton for summer) in various shades of blue. I got their sheets in single packs on clearance, because it was sooooo much cheaper than a sheet set. Their pillow cases are sailboat themed and were a gift from a friend. Otherwise they would be solid too. They have a down comforter and a solid red blanket. Their window valances are solid blue with tab tops that I made from shirt cuffs. When I was pregnant with DS1 we knew he was a boy, and so I made a crib quilt and bumper out of men's shirts that I got at SalAl and Goodwill. They have nautical-themed hooks on the wall, a large sailboat on a shelf, and pictures of each of them wearing a sailor's uniform when they were babies. DS1's dresser is painted blue and I painted little boats on the wooden knobs. Their book shelf is painted the same color blue. Throw pillows and simple thrift-store accessories tie it all together. By keeping the bedding and walls generic, we can easily change to another theme just by switching out the accessories. Plus, it never looked baby-ish and would work equally well for a tween.

I have pics in my Photobucket I think... Standby...

They are on Flickr:

sailboat shelf
hooks and sailor outfits
quilt
bumper
valance
pocket organizer

The pics were taken a couple years ago - DS2 isn't that little anymore! The changing pad is gone and there is a lamp in its place that looks like a ship's lantern, cost me $3.99 brand new, and they have another sailboat lamp on the other side of the room that has a little sailboat for a base. The pocket organizer was made from the shirt pockets that were leftover from the crib bedding. Neither of them ever used the crib, but we bought a whole nursery set (crib, armoire, changing table/hutch, crib that converts to full-size bed) so we are using it all, just with the crib converted to a headboard (left the footboard off). Their windows have pull-down room darkening shades that were there when we bought the house 7 years ago.