Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Hit or miss with 11 day old-ranting!-and no poo in 4-ish days (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1344791)

Ummsamiyah 01-28-2012 03:05 PM

Hit or miss with 11 day old-ranting!-and no poo in 4-ish days

AAAAGGGHH!:fit:
Ok, now that i got that out. i dont know what is wrong with our BF'ing relationship. Some times we have it so well, other days, not so much. i know how to breastfeed. i taught it and nursed both my other kids! nonetheless, our latch is not perfect everytime and i have no idea what i am doing wrong. i change positions every time, apply lansinoh like its going out of style and try to get her on before she is mad. but she fusses A LOT! and she sounds gassy even tho she hasn't really pooped. (now that i think of it, she hasnt pooed at all in like 3 days!) anyways. i am sure she needs more practice but she whines so much i just want to give her a paci and walk away! oh well, i am frustrated because i just want to be over this hump and its taking FOREVER! :banghead:
the end

so rather than start a new thread i figured i would just add to this one. baby is now 12 days old and has not pooed in about 4 days. the last poo was a smear on her diaper. the one before that was HUGE. she has gas and it smells like there is poo but alas, there is none. i was just reading on the LLLI website that she should have multiple poos in a day! that is so not us. i am going to take her to the MW to have her weighed tomorrow but i am starting to get nervous. today we had a much more pleasant time nursing and i believe with better latch she is more inclined to get the hindmilk. but i am scared now, i hope i have not been contributing to a FTT situation :(

palsmama 01-28-2012 03:14 PM

Re: Hit or miss with 11 day old-ranting!

Could you possibly have to fast of a let down? Can you try to nurse in a reclining position? Maybe she has a little regurgitation or reflux? Could you have an over supply? Don't worry about the poop. Bf babies can go up to 10 days. Is this happening at a certain time of day? Like evening? That's when babies are fussier and seem frustrated at the breast. Hugs ! The early days are so hard!

Ummsamiyah 01-28-2012 03:56 PM

it seems like she fusses all the time !(plus, my sense of time is totally off these days!) i don't believe i have an oversupply but she does come off sometimes with milk coming out of her mouth, in fact, when i burp her sometimes the reason is because she has spit milk back up. then of course she wants to go back on! :( it makes me question if she is getting enough. she does make wet diapers tho which is a plus. i haven't really tried in a reclining position, my breasts are humongous compared to her little body so I haven't quite mastered that yet.
i don't know, i went back to review latch and positioning. i think i will also pay closer attention to what i have been eating. i have been more gassy than usual also. i attributed it to all the beans i was eating before i gave birth but that was 11 days ago sooo.... yea.

kferg 01-29-2012 04:40 AM

Could your LO have reflux? It might be worth checking out. My cousin breastfed all 4 of her babies and she said that they were all different and that her 3rd was the hardest even though she knew how to breastfeed.

Good luck!

greenearthbaby 01-29-2012 09:40 AM

Hang in there, mama. They are all individuals so just because you have nursed before it doesn't guarantee you won't have any bumps in the road.

How old are your other children? How are they doing with a new sibling? How has your stress level been? How are you feeling physically?

Ummsamiyah 01-29-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenearthbaby (Post 14548273)
Hang in there, mama. They are all individuals so just because you have nursed before it doesn't guarantee you won't have any bumps in the road.

How old are your other children? How are they doing with a new sibling? How has your stress level been? How are you feeling physically?

my other two are 9 and 10 years old and they are totally in love with her! DS9 just randomly kisses her when we are nursing or when ever he feels! DD10 was at the birth so she has a sense of responsibility towards her which is great! other than the mounting stress of having to return to work i feel fine! i havent left the house in almost 3 weeks which sucks but i think i am okay. i am trying to just be patient, i havent done this in a while so i guess i just need more practice. i will pay attention to reflux tho, i had not considered that

Ummsamiyah 01-29-2012 09:40 PM

Re: Hit or miss with 11 day old-ranting!-and no poo in 4-ish days

now i just want her to poop!:banghead: am i asking too much?

Sarahknavy 01-30-2012 12:14 AM

Do not worry!! My son only pooped ever 4 days until recently. Now with solids it is usually once a day but sometimes 3 days. My LC told me this was going to happen in my breast feeding class ... She said your milk is perfect and their is little waste when your baby is growing so fast ( mine grew 8 pounds in 4 months). She said up to ten days and as long as they have a soft belly, not to worry

pennykandy 01-30-2012 10:09 AM

I just went back and re-read my thread on kellymom from when my baby had this issue. at 15 days old she stopped pooping...she went 6 days with no poop, then another 6 and another 6, and I recall referring to mondays as 'poop monday' that's how infrequently she pooped.

We did a lot of freaking out, and had a couple visits to the doctor to check her weight but it turned out it was just her normal. I think a visit to make sure she's gaining isn't a bad idea, but it's likely just fine.

mbeth 01-30-2012 12:30 PM

Don't stress! It's totally normal for BF babies to not poop often.. if you get in the 8-10 day range then start to worry. My daughter went through it for about a month or two.. shes 4 months now and is on a more normal schedule <3