Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Breastfeeding thru a pregnancy? HELP!! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345038)

Sweetbabybows 01-29-2012 09:11 AM

Breastfeeding thru a pregnancy? HELP!!

Adrianna is exactly 8months old and I got a bfp this morning! I really excited but I'm worried about loosing my milk.

Is it really safe and healthy for all three of us really for my to continue nursing and how do I keep my supply up? I'll feel awful if this pregnancy causes Adrianna to loose her milk....I really wanted to go past a year with her and after the baby comes I'll likely tandem nurse.

VeganCupcake 01-29-2012 09:30 AM

Re: Breastfeeding thru a pregnancy? HELP!!

Yes, it's safe (as long as you aren't at risk for preterm labor)! There is really very little you can do about your supply, though. Pregnancy hormones suppress breast milk production. Most women will have a big drop in supply somewhere around 16 weeks. Right around conception, too, the taste and composition of your milk changed, so your LO may object to the new taste. It's not as sweet anymore; it becomes saltier.

There is a More Milk Two tea that's safe for pregnancy, but other tinctures and herbs are generally not safe in pregnancy. You can try eating oatmeal and other things like that.

I really had no milk supply during my pregnancy, but my DD continued to nurse through my pregnancy. She was about 2 years old when I got pregnant. She loves to nurse for comfort, so the lack of milk didn't bother her too much, and we persisted. It's very normal for pregnant mothers to have nipple pain and creepy-crawly feelings when nursing, so it's not easy in that way, either. There were times when I wanted to scream while she was nursing, and I sometimes cut nursing sessions short. We also limited nursing sessions to 3 times a day for my sanity. But now I tandem and it's very easy.

The book Adventures in Tandem Nursing is a great resource.

Lesley@CottonBabies 01-29-2012 12:39 PM

My little girl turned 8 months old the day I found out I was pregnant, so I'm in the same situation as you! My milk supply has gone down, but I started taking Motherlove More Milk Two 4 times a day, and it has really started helping! Good luck mama, I hope we can both make it the nine months nursing!

Br2me 01-29-2012 01:11 PM

just wanted to say good luck!!!

yes it can be done...a friend of mine nursed all throughout her pg!

but your milk will change, and will lose soem supply if not all...just depneds on your child if they keep nursing til the end and then start back up when baby comes!

songbird516 01-29-2012 06:23 PM

Nothing in life is risk free, so I would say that nursing through pregnancy is possible. "Safe" is dependent on how you define it. Personally I was not comfortable nursing through pregnancy, but my daughter was 16 months when I got a BFP. I just wasn't confident that I could nourish all of us adequately, so I started slowly weaning and stopped when she was about 21 months.

If you are going to nurse through pregnancy and then tandem nurse, please research what your nutrition requirements are. Taking a prenatal vitamin really isn't enough. You need lots of healthy protein and fats. free-range eggs, whole (grass-fed) milk/dairy if you can tolerate it, grass-fed meats including organ meats, and of course lots of veggies. Homemade broth is also very nutrient-dense. You can really drain your body of essential nutrients if you're not careful to take them in in your diet, which can set the growing baby up for nutrient deficiencies also.

Truckerswife 01-30-2012 01:23 PM

I have nursed through two pregnancies and am currently tandem nursing for the second time my first was 3 months when I found out I was expecting #2
#2 was 6 months when I found out I was expecting #3 DS weaned at 18 months DD1 is still nursing at 17 months and DD2 is 3 months my supply did drop some at about 7 months along so I supplemented a bottle a day of goat milk

doulamomma 01-30-2012 01:27 PM

I have nursed through two pregnancies and tandem nursed after each birth. it can get overwhelming at times but I'm so glad I did it. just make sure to take care of yourself, eat and drink plenty:)

Greenbabybottoms 02-01-2012 07:08 PM

I have also nursed through 2 pregnancies and am currently tandem nursing for the 2nd time. My oldest was 15 months when I got pregnant with #2 and she nursed through my pregnancy (even though I lost all my milk until about 36 weeks) and continued to nurse until she was 4 1/2, she weaned in the middle of my 3rd pregnancy. #2 nursed through my 3rd pregnancy and she and my 5 month old are nursing together right now. I will add that I also had hyperemesis with my pregnancies. But it can absolutely be done Some women, like me, do lose their milk supply completely, some just have a drop in supply and I actually know some who have never been able to notice a difference. It's hard to say which category you will fall into. Best of luck!

marliah 02-01-2012 07:18 PM

I have nursed through one pregnancy and am hoping to do it this time too. I have found I had a big de in supply, I am 15 weeks right now and to week seems to have really dropped my supply quite a bit. I'm glad you posted here cause I was about to post the same thing. I see the part about oatmeal, does that really help increas? Just regular oatmeal? Like once a day for breakfast or more often? I am really going to try to get my supply up, my lo was multiple food allergies and I want to nurse her as long as possible.

ofthemoonsglow 02-01-2012 07:18 PM

kelly mom is always my go to for nursing info ---> http://kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html