Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Flour Sack Towels (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345282)

kaylajo88 01-29-2012 06:15 PM

Flour Sack Towels

Has anyone used flour sack towels as flats? I read somewhere of someone else that used them and was just wondering if any of you have had any experience with them? I checked them out at Walmart the other day and they seem really thin, i dont know that they would absorb a whole lot?

Sabra 01-29-2012 06:50 PM

Re: Flour Sack Towels

A lot of folks use them. I haven't gotten around to using 'em myself, but I can tell you they aren't any thinner than any other flats. Several ladies here seem to swear by them. I'm personally partial to flannel receiving blankets. :)

mfergy0625 01-29-2012 06:52 PM

I have some that I use padfolded and they last my DS about an hour to hour and a half but he is a pretty heavy wetter. I do think my flannel receiving blankets hold more, but they get more pilly over time. My flour sack towels still feel soft, which I love about them. They also dry in like 20 minutes in the dryer!

kaylajo88 01-29-2012 06:58 PM

I think i will give them a shot! We are hand washing so i think they would be easy and quick to get clean.

luvinmommy 01-29-2012 07:06 PM

i have about a dozen flour sack towels that we use as flats. I just use two at a time. I have used one at a time but now that ds is older and goes more at one time I prefer to use two.

kaylajo88 01-29-2012 07:18 PM

Do you find it bulky with 2?

alaskamum 01-29-2012 07:52 PM

I have some floursack towels as kitchen towels and I find them very thin...I would not want to use them as diapers if I could help it. I really like Diaper Rite flats from Diaper Junction, I think they are very nice quality and a very good price.

caseopia67 01-29-2012 08:16 PM

I agree that they are very thin, you can almost see through them. Some people swear by them, but they must not have very heavy wetters. I have some around for "air time" because I can snappi one on without a cover and change DS as soon as he wets. I wouldn't trust one as an insert for us, our GMD flats are much thicker.

sarahannecloud9 01-30-2012 07:14 AM

I pad fold all of my flats or I would be changing every hour. Still nice and trim. I like them ;) .

foggierbard9 01-30-2012 07:42 AM

I find them to be thinner than any of my other flats and DD can pee straight through them. We went back to regular flats and receiving blankets because we needed better absorbency.