Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Homeschooling (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   K / 1st grade...how many hrs a day? how often for each subject?.... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1345392)

CarrieAnn0413 01-29-2012 10:30 PM

K / 1st grade...how many hrs a day? how often for each subject?....

I am curious what others are doing. Sometimes I feel like we are not getting enough in but also not sure I want to add any more time to our school day. Maybe I need to rearrange our routine so just looking at what others are doing and maybe it will spark some ideas. My DD just turned 6 and is in a mix of K and 1st grade level work depending on subject. Thanks in advance for sharing...

How many hours a day do you spend homeschooling?

How many days a week do you cover each subject (math, lang. arts/writing, science, social studies/health, art, music, etc...)

I feel like we are getting in the core stuff (reading, math... ) but I don't want to let the other subjects fall to the wayside (music, social studies, art...).

iris0110 01-29-2012 10:54 PM

Re: K / 1st grade...how many hrs a day? how often for each subject?....

You really have to do what works for you and your child but to me, in the early grades, it is most important to get a good grip on the really core subjects. My goal is to foster a love of learning in my children and if I push them too hard all I will accomplish is burning them out. Better they are left asking me for more (which I can always comply with) than they come to at school time whining. For K and 1st my primary focus is on building a foundation and getting a bit of a taste for other things. I don't worry about art and music so much in these grades. Our curriculum happens to have both included but it touches on them lightly without any pressure so that is how we leave it. We have an online core curriculum that we usually do every day and that takes about half an hour. Tharen just completed K and is now in 1st grade. His core curriculum includes Reading, Writing, Math, Spanish, Music, Art, Science, History & Fun. The primary focus is on Reading, Writing and Math. To this we add Phonics and a Math supplement program and I alternate those. During K he began listening in on my 4th graders History lessons (I do an indepth world history program separate from our core curriculum that is far more focussed) and by the end of the year he was participating in history lessons. We do not do history every week. We are about to start a new science curriculum now that he is settled into 1st grade and can read and write adequately. We also spend time reading together and cooking together of course. In all these days we spend at most 3 hours on school work not including projects or experiments but those don't happen every day. When he was 5 we spent only 1-2 hours and that time was broken up into small pieces. By comparison my oldest who is almost finished with 4th grade spends 4-5 hours and then free studies (usually science related) for several hours after. Sometimes he gets caught on a particularly hard assignment and takes longer, sometimes his work is easy and he is done faster.

I think it is easy to get overwhelmed wanting to give our children everything. The important thing to remember is that in the early days you don't want to over do it. Reading, writing and math are plenty to start with and then you can play with introducing the other subjects.

tallanvor 01-29-2012 11:14 PM

Kindergarten we do reading/phonics and math. Takes about 30-45 minutes a day. 1st grade we add history. Anything else is considered extra for us and isn't scheduled -- just happens as the kids ask or as it comes up in life.

fiveofhearts 01-29-2012 11:36 PM

Our first yr hs'ing. Ds is 6 and does combo of k and 1st as well. We only plan 4 days of school with a review day of needed. I have pieces ours mostly together this year. Everyday we do phonics, math, bible and a story starter. 2 days we add social studies and 2 days we add science. Also typically do a sign language 2-3 days. I don't really add art bc that gets incorporated into so many other things. Music is big in our house so that's just part of life and ds takes Drum lessons once a week. I would say maybe 1.5 hrs? However we do a lot of learning in real life, tons of reading, board games and card games that involve counting and adding etc. I know next yr I will have to pay attention more since I will have to keep track of hours.

CarrieAnn0413 01-30-2012 06:36 AM

Thanks everyone! One concern I have always had is to not push to hard or ask to much so that school time doesn't remain enjoyable for them. My 6 yo is quite interested in science and music so I want to run with it but then I don't want to slack off to much on the core subjects. It seems that 3 hours is a good average for this age/grade, from what I hear from other families. Most days we get in 3 hours total. It is nice to see what others are doing, it helps with ideas for our own plans. Thanks again.
Carrie

angel nee nee 01-30-2012 11:26 AM

We do about 3 hours a day here (6 years old plus his sister 4, and 2 learning or throwing tentrum next to us).

Monday -Friday but some days we skip completely when we go to the library or do park day (if it's a hard day due to his sister(s) lol ). sometimes we do light study on Saturdays. (Couple of reviews and reading, etc)

my2sweets 01-30-2012 12:19 PM

DD1 is doing 2/3 grade work and dd2 is doing K work. We do vocabulary(new word/week-define, ex's, making posters, ect), reading(and phonics for dd2), LA, math, writing for dd2, and science monday, wed-fri. We do 3days of history, spelling and art on whatever days fits with our schedule or what we're covering although we will have a new cirriculum next yr and it has all subjects everyday. It takes us 2-4hrs a day.

maureen73 01-30-2012 06:15 PM

My son is six and in 1st grade and his younger siblings are 4 and 5 in preschool and are included in portions of our school time. We do Horizons Math and Phonics lessons, including his book work which takes one hour per day. He also does reading, phonics and spelling computer programs for another hour. Then we have storytime including read aloud books and then Adam will read 1 or two books to the group for a total of 45 minutes. Arts and crafts for 30 minutes and then I alternate from week to week between science and history class. We typically start at 9:30 and then finish by 2:30 in the afternoon with a break at noon for lunch.